1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

You're Invited to... The Phoenix Tuning 24-hour Engine Swap EVENT!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dr Tweak, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Offline

Dr Tweak Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    You're Invited to... The Phoenix Tuning 24-hour Engine Swap EVENT!!!

I was out in the shop today and I had this idea. I thought it might be cool....

I was thinking of having some people come up, someone with a good video camera and editing skills, and doing a monster garage-style engine swap race. Basically a 24 hour straight out engine swap, like start at 7 am and it has to be done by 7 am the next day. I'm thinking something like a 4AGE or 2ZZGE swap into a Corolla, including all the wiring, mounts, exhaust, EVERYTHING, in 24 hours straight. Maybe have a bunch of people up to hang out and goof off, whatever.

Then have someone edit the video, speed up parts of it, do some voice-over, and then put it out there on the internet.

Thoughts?

PS: This won't happen until late next year at the earliest.
  2. Offline

Ro2la New Member

Message Count:
    sounds like fun, i would watch that for sure. it would be cool to be there, too bad i'm all the way over here on the west coast. thumbs up for the idea
  3. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    too bad i wasn't around..... i'd do a race against someone doing another swap for a 4agze swap into an mr2 on MS :) (if the MS & relay board were prebuilt & tested)

granted it's something i've done before.... but there's a few complications with it being an mr2.....

however, might make things difficult with parts stores not being open.... there's ALWAYS small things that you forget when you're doing it... and having a long stretch at the end being in the middle of the night doesn't help too much when you need parts...

hahahahaha.... for some reason i totally just got the idea to do this as a reality show... kinda like 'biker build off' where one tuner shop challenges another one... be it a huge/popular shop or a backyard mechanic

hmm.... thinking of more complications..... you would need to sets of tools... at the very least.... because if the people are experienced then the motors would be coming out at about the same time on both cars... ie, you would need at least 2 large floor jacks, 2 sets of big jackstands, 2 cherry pickers.... then 2 sets of air lines (and a compressor strong enough for both), with 2 sets of all air tools & impact sockets, etc......
  4. Offline

Dr Tweak Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    Yeah I was thinking of that, there would have to be a lot of advance planning and make sure that everything possible was covered as far as parts.

But yeah, the race idea sounds cool. :)
  5. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    that's almost impossible though.... i've had countless times where the hose was too short, or I needed one more clamp..... or i just didn't have enough wire..... stupid stuff where you think you have enough, but you don't.
  6. Offline

Dr Tweak Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    Maybe I'll run it 3 pm to 3 pm... You'd be suprised though, I have a LOT of stuff around here. LOL
  7. Offline

JLee TD05 3SGTE

Message Count:
    Let me know when it happens - I don't have a /complete/ set of tools, but I have a 33gal compressor and a truck to get it up there..which might help if two cars are getting done at once. :)

I also happen to have an MR2 I could 'donate' (;)) for a 4AGZE swap.. ;)
  8. Offline

teevee247 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Now this sounds like it would be a blast!
  9. Offline

Barnacules 100101101011011

Message Count:
    That would be fun.
  10. Offline

Rolla95 Rollin' Out y0

Message Count:
    i'll donate my car for a 4age swap as long as i dont have to pay for anything:D