1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

XRS Corolla

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FaisalCorollaS, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Offline

jakejacobson86 New Member

Message Count:
    lol, hey polo, how does that trd supercharger work for you anyways? I know i can get a custom built turbo on my 99ce, but it would probably be better starting off with a foundation like the 04 right?
  2. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    That barely usable power that you are saying shows your ignorance and lack of information about the power curve of the 2nd generation 2ZZ in the XRS. That barely usable power still makes the XRS rip a 0-60 in 7 seconds flat.
  3. Offline

teevee247 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I've read 7.2 seconds, and I test drove a 05 XRS, until lift hit, it didnt feel any faster than a 03 corolla ce 5 spd... lift was fun... but it was only fun in 1sta nd 2nd gear... in 3rd it didnt have much of an impact, and didnt last long enough... unless it was the car I drove that had something wrong with, but I was not impressed with the power delivery of the XRS...
  4. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    7 second is what Car and driver magazine tested and 15.6 seconds for quarter mile. The 3rd and 4th gears are quite tall and I kept it in lift for the longest time in 3rd and 4th while taking corners around the block. The first gear is in particular short where it reaches 8400 rpm very quickly. Anyway, everyone has his own likes and dislikes.
  5. Offline

Message Count:
    Yep, i meant the lift was short in 1st and 2nd... in 3rd it didnt have as big of an impact as it did in the first 2 gears... I like having a bit more torque, which is why im saving up for a 4AGZE for me rolla...
  6. Offline

JCturbo 9THGEN GURU

Message Count:
    if torque made that big a difference, then I shouldn't have owned my buddy's TC, and it was a handicap race, I started in back. gear ratios help quite a lot, and I haven't met a corolla yet that can hang with my XRS, plenty have tried, on the streets and the freeway
  7. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    If you have read the actual car and driver article, it mentions that the Corolla XRS was tested in very difficult high altitude location. The XRS should actually be a lot faster than the TC to the quarter mile since the quarter mile depends more on horsepower. Getting mid 15 second range on an XRS stock should be easy to do.

8. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    Using some common sense you will see XRS has 10 HP more with over 300 pounds lighter weight and at the top end is where all the powe lives. There is no way on earth the TC could beat the XRS to a quarter mile.
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    i read the tC does 0-60 in the same time as the XRS... so either you are a really good driver, or ur buddy can't drive...
  10. Offline

Message Count:
    Alright, from the August issue of CD.
    The XRS does 0-60mph in 7.1 and the 1/4 in 15.8 @ 90mph...
    The tC does 0-60mph in 7.4 and the 1/4 in 15.7 @88mph...

In the real world, with equal drivers, it would be a close race...
  11. Offline

Message Count:
    Not to mention,t he XRS weighs 2680lbs and tC weighs 3016lbs... thats 336lbs... it makes a difference, yet the tC still does the 1/4 faster (albeit at a slighty lower trap speed)... so yeah, i'll take a little less HP for more torque any day...
  12. Offline

d_samurai Guest

Message Count:
    im not an expert when it comes to these engines, but i believe those that are comparing a supercharged Corolla S engine to an XRS are comparing apples to oranges or however it goes... compare a supercharged XRS to a supercharged corolla S and then start the chattin!
  13. Offline

Message Count:
    He brought up how he beat his buddy's tC to conteract my statement about torque, so I was just stating some figures... and also, the hp and torque numbers of the Corolla with the TRD supercharger are near the figures of the tC engine, except it weighs over 300lbs less, so i'd take a trd supercharged corolla over an xrs any day...
  14. Offline

Turbo1zz New Member

Message Count:
    I'll still make an Auto XRS look sad... [IMG]

Bow down to the 5 speed 1zz [IMG]
  15. Offline

midniterains Guest

Message Count:
    *claps*
  16. Offline

Turbo1zz New Member

Message Count:
    You know that was a joke right?
  17. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    The auto 2ZZ in Matrix XRS was a big scam. A total rip off. It ran slower than a normal stock Corolla. You could hit lift only in the first and second gear. Toyota discontinued it after 2003 and now you can only get 6 speed manual on Corolla/Matrix XRS and Vibe GT.
  18. Offline

Turbo1zz New Member

Message Count:
    :rolleyes:
  19. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    Yeah, XRS has a lot of torque available at low rpms. More so than a regular low revving Corolla. Although, I figured today that in order to keep the revs low while moving throw slow traffic, you do have to shift it a lot because the revs build very quickly even if the car is delivering good low end response.
  20. Offline

Message Count:
    I agree that the XRS is a bit better than the tC... but im still sticking with my love of torque :)

And if the tC lost 300lbs (or even worse, if the XRS gained 300lbs), im sure the results would be different...

But alas, your right, and its cool that we kept this civilized, unlike some other msg boards, so thats cool :)
  21. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    Not to mention, you can toss the XRS around on a race track and turn it left and right like a zombie, it will not lose it''s composure. It is very hard to throw around TC to begin with, let alone experiencing the body roll in it...LOL
  22. Offline

Message Count:
    yeah, i read that about the tC's handling, the car really has to lose some weight... i gotta go test drive another XRS, cause the one i drove wasn't too peppy... i wonder if there was something wrong with it...
  23. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    You have to remember that the true colors of the car show when it is past 4000 - 5000 KM. If you do not like high revving engines then it is not your piece of pie. Although, you can see all the critics and people who have driven it raving about it so there has to be something right in that car ( I took a loss on my S to get the XRS). ;-)
  24. Offline

Message Count:
    I like high revving engines... I just hate them where I live... cause its usually slow traffic, and I prefer having a torqy engines in those situations... I mean, my civic has a 7200rpm redline and only comes alive at about 4800rpm... and I love it when I have the room to actually use it... I just hate it doing my normal driving... i dunno... i like it all... i have friends with camaros with built v8s on them and other friends with high revving peaky 4 cylinders... i like them all... idelaly i'd like one of both :p
  25. Offline

polo708 New Member

Message Count:
    So you've resorted to comparing the XRS to the stock 1zz... nice, I think you're reaching. Come play with the big boys... and bring the torqueless wonder with you. :rolleyes:

While your waiting for lift to kick in (at somewhere around 9-grand :rolleyes: )... I'm be slamming second, walking ya.

and my cars got more torque at idle, than the XRS
  26. Offline

rainbow_star New Member

Message Count:
    I think AUTO is better for 1/4 mile for turbo car. Ppl did the test on the 300Z before. That was a pretty famous race , well, here in Vancouver at least.
    But I don't know about S/C.
  27. Offline

onemph05 Guest

Message Count:
  28. Offline

polo708 New Member

Message Count:
    An AUTO quicker in the 1/4... no way.
  29. Offline

Turbo1zz New Member

Message Count:
    The XRS is over rated, over hyped and over priced. The only good thing to come out of the XRS is the availability of rear disk brakes for anyone wanting to convert there Corolla.
  30. Offline

Faisal05CorollaXRS Guest

Message Count:
    It was from a roll, but if it were from a dead stop, I think the supercharged has an edge (although, I have seen the video of a Matrix XRS supercharged auto vs. Matrix XRS 6 speed and they both were side by side till the top of first gear where the XRS pulled very hard and kept gaining till it got very far).