1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine WRX stock turbo....

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by corolla_racer, May 18, 2004.

1. Offline

djrazor Guest

Message Count:
    the stock IHI turbo out of a WRX needs coolant lines attached to it also, most Garret turbos such as the t3/t4 dont rely on them, you can make a custom turbo setup with an IHI turbo, however rest assured it will be a bit more work for you
  2. Offline

Fox New Member

Message Count:
    Again i repeat... has anyone atempted the k03 VW/Audi 1.8 Turbo on a 1ZZ, also If the engine block can easily hande about 9psi could anyone give me an aprox on how much can the auto tranny handle?

maybe racing solution can help me out on this... do you have auto?
  3. Offline

RacingSolution New Member

Message Count:
    I think the auto tranny will crap out at 12-13 psi with hard driving.. But a tranny cooler will help some.... Its hard to say.. I'd be nervous running at 12-13 psi on stock internals anyways.

Last time I was at Staffords, I believe he mentioned the K03 turbo being an easy swap for the T3 the kit currently uses. He was instaling a K03 setup on a VW while I was there.. but dont quote me on that.
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    What tranny setup do you have now?
  5. Offline

TurboRolla21 Guest

Message Count:
    stock... :mad:
  6. Offline

Fox New Member

Message Count:
    So I'd be safe running about 5-9psi on my stock engine and i'll probably get a tranny cooler to be on the safe side.?
    5psi being for daily driving, and 9psi being the highboost setting.

How much psi you running RacingSolution and w/ what setup?
  7. Offline

Fox New Member

Message Count:
    Heys guys, sorry to bring this up again.. but last night a friend of mine told me he was selling his 2004 stock turbo off his Impreza WRX, has there been any updates to the stated above in the thread?

He's letting it go for $200. Besides getting a boost controler, bov, turbo timer, custom piping, a front mount intercooler, what else would i need for the turbo setup? I'd also get a haynes stacked plate tranny cooler to be on the safe side w/ my 3spd auto. I'm planning on 5psi up to 9psi max boost.

He has the normal WRX not the STI and its 2.0L the car has a little over 5 months of use and its basically city driving and racing at the local track. What about the topic of a 2.0l designed turbo on a 1.8l any concerns on lagging or problems?

Would this be a good investment for my car? Any feedback and opinions are greatly welcome.

Thnx.
  8. Offline

91DX Guest

Message Count:
    the stock turbo out of a regular wrx is NOT an IHI unit. Its a mitsubishi td04. only the STi has an IHI vf39. its pretty small compared to the ihi units. but if u gots the money for supporting mods then knock urself out.
  9. Offline

Fox New Member

Message Count:
    ok so its a mitsubishi td04, i've been trying to find an k03 that would be a better solution for my engine but since this is going locally for $200 i can probably negotiate $150 or something, and i actually know the beat the turbo has gotten and its compared to almost new. The guy also told me he's willing to sell me his stock fuel injectors that he took off his WRX, will these fit my car? can i get away with using my stock injectors for a while?

i need to consult my mecanic to see how much $ in labor is actually involved (install and custom piping), i can work this as a proyect any buy things as time goes and in a few months i can actually install it.

i'm seeing about 1k for the overall proyect:
    this is what i've found out so far:
    -turbo ~$150
    -greddy full auto turbo timber ~$70
    -greddy profec b-II boost controller ~$250
    -hayden tranny cooler ~$70
    -BOV ~$250
    -universal intercooler ~$300

This is ~$1,090 just buying these parts i still need to see the custom piping and the labor pricing, anyways its probably gonna steep higher, but its still gonna be cheaper than getting a whole kit wich is $3,000+
    what you guys think? anything im missing?
  10. Offline

Message Count:
    Your turbo manifold which will have to be custom made to bolt up to that turbo.. while ur at it, get larger fuel injectors
  11. Offline

corolla_racer Guest

Message Count:
    hey fox
    I just turbo mine like a month ago and i'm just boosting 4lbs daily drive and that most boost i try was 7lbs and that was sacry.....I though my motor was going to blow...I did my own kit uder 1g....I did my own turbo mainfold with a t26(i think),Turboxs bov, home made intercooler(trunk junk yard).HKS elec boost cotroller($350),apxie timer($80) and i'm running stock internals.....and my motor is a 4afe n one more thing when u turbo your car it heats up fast so be carefully not to over heat....hehe
  12. Offline

Barnacules 100101101011011

Message Count:
    How can I get 1100HP at the front wheel so I can race Pimped Skylines all day long! :)
  13. Offline

steve403 New Member

Message Count:
    Well, I wrote it with the intent that most people in these forums don't really know what their doing. It's just a warning to most amateurs. Obviously there are people who can turbo charge a corolla. When i say the engine isn't made for a turbo, what i meant was that toyota didnt intend for people to add a turbo to the engine. Even if you can successfully add a turbo to the engine and the turbo runs good, in the long run, it will wear down the engine prematurely. It's just my two cents. I know im gonna get flamed haha but i just don't think corollas were meant to be turboed. Thats all.
  14. Offline

steve403 New Member

Message Count:
    I dont want to discourage anyone from Turboeing their car with a spare turbo from their friend for 75.00$. But lets get realistic. Turbo cars a lot more complicated than u think. Corollas arn't made to be turbo charged. If you want a turbo car, go buy a wrx. Don't go and install it in ur corolla. All you'll do is mess it up. Plus, its a lot cheaper to buy a turbo charged car than to TRY to install one into a non turbo car and mess it up. Just my two cents.
  15. Offline

RollaRyder1103 New Member

Message Count:
    obviously u dont know much about corollas nor have u been around long enough to actually know that the 1zz is and can be very boost friendly is u know what u r doing...and it's not cheaper or more reasonable to go buy some cheap ass turbo mitsu or talon when u can have the fun of being unlike alot of cars out there cuz they dont make that shit for the Rolla, it is not a "catalog kit" that u can buy and bolt on (except stafford is bolt on, but they lag), it's custom work and it is worth it, again if u know what u r doing

just know what u r saying be4 u jump in on this and say they arent made for turbo and to go buy a turbo car instead
  16. Offline

rainbow_star New Member

Message Count:
  17. Offline

ImpressiveIdeas Guest

Message Count:
    Logically if you think about it neither is hondas, acuras, most mitsus, or any car that came otherwise with out a turbo. The corolla motor is a good motor. I been working with toyota now for 4 years. Honestly out of all the complaints, the corollas are the least in problems and breakdowns. Someone started to think out there what if I put a turbo in a honda and now look at what possibilities are there. The corolla also since its started getting recognition for the good car and how much popularity it started getting with genx it was that when the company finally decided to do what we all knew the corolla was capable off.
  18. Offline

CadetLee Guest

Message Count:
    Civics aren't meant to be turbo'd either.

Anyways, Vortex ran his turbocharged 1zz for at least a year before someone ran into him..

Toyota didn't intend for me to install any of the crap I've put on my car..lol :D
  19. Offline

White Lightning Guest

Message Count:
    over here we have turbo toyota starlets that run hefty standard turbos. a mate of mine took a turbo out of a starlet and put it in a t-sport corrolla. the turbo wouldnt be big enough to do any long term damage but will give you the performance you want.