1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine would it make sense if...

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by GSE21tuner, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    Chambered mufflers are great for lessening dBs but performance-wise, I would go with a straight through design like Magnaflow. Resonators run around 100-200. I got a hookup from my local shop so I got mine for 100 installed.
    Found this on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-UN...1QQcmdZViewItem
  2. Offline

shubert_ae102 New Member

Message Count:
    if you dont have the resonator , w/ a strait thru design , its gonna be raspy and pop like a 94 civic w/ a 1.5 runnin on 3 cylinders.:D
  3. Offline

polkadots Guest

Message Count:
    would it make sense if...

i run a straight pipe w/o resonator?

header-down-cat-mid-trd exhaust

mm..j/w i doubt its going to sound quiet tho..
  4. Offline

Vibe New Member

Message Count:
    that's gonna be loud :)
  5. Offline

cgreen38 Common sense, p

Message Count:
    Keep the resonator. Won't make much of a difference w/o it.
  6. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I ran that exact set up for about a total of 1 day before the noise drove me crazy. You could hear me coming 1 or 2 blocks away. LOL I got a resonator welded in the next day.
  7. Offline

Vibe New Member

Message Count:
    how much is a resonator? i think i got rid of it when i got my cat back exhaust
  8. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    It sounds alright as long as you have a chambered muffler.
  9. Offline

jcrwzr Member

Message Count:
    i don't have a resonator on my current corolla and it's loud. just make up your mind and do it. no one can tell you what a good exhaust is. it's all intuitive and personal. having the same setup as someone else doesn't make your car sound the same as the other. our descriptions of our exhaust (performance-wise, looks, or sound) are VERY general. your senses compared to mine are simply differences of opinion.

there are plenty of factors that will affect the sound output. miles, other bolt-ons, condition of the engine, etc., it depends on the driver's habits. put in what you want based upon your aesthetic and if it doesn't work for you, there's someone out there who will want to buy it. i've been through 4 exhaust systems with my last car, a 1989 corolla sr5. i was really never satisfied with any of the setups. but that's just me.

dig up your cash from under your mattress or bank account, and slap on an exhasut. you'll never have a first time experience by thinking about it too much. just do it.

lastly and on a personal note, that's what makes import tuning fun! good luck!!!
  10. Offline

polkadots Guest

Message Count:
    mmm..ic i'm just tryna collab with a better flow w/o having to worry about cel coming on. my friends wrx cel came on after 3" pipe from intake to exhaust. I already have that problem but only because my intake tube is 3" LOL. I need help where to get me 2.5 or 2.75" on my tubing.
  11. Offline

nocpan New Member

Message Count:
    i drove for 3 years without a rezonator (as part of full custom made exhaust), definatelly it makes the car louder and you feel the vibrations more, I loved it, and I was alone in my love because everyone from my GF to people on the street couldn't stand it. :D
  12. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    i dont have a resonator on mine...and i know what the pop he is talking about...but my exhaust noise is a bit deeper and i only have a ported exhaust header w/ thermal r&d muffler

im thinking about getting a resonator though so i dont wake the neighbors when i come home
  13. Offline

eddy Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    How will a dual muffled exhaust work instead of a reso+muffler exhaust? Quiet/Loud? Power Loss/ No Diff??
  14. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    umm from what i have read around....dual muffled exhaust wont rly benefit you unless you have a v6+ but i might be wrong bcuz alot of bikes have dual exhaust on a 4cyl.

id just get a header, custom piping, universal hi-flow cat, and a nice muffler/resonator to top it off
  15. Offline

Vibe New Member

Message Count:
    yeah i dont have a resonator and i wish it was a lil cheaper to put one on.
  16. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I just couldn't stand the dBs. And its true that w/o a resonator, the car has that ricy pop. Unless you have wide diameter piping or a resonator, its going to buzz.
  17. Offline

shubert_ae102 New Member

Message Count:
    ok we need to clear something up . your friend with the wrx opened power because its a turbo , your small low compression na motor is not ganna benefit from exhaust at all . its really just about the sound

i pulled this from another forum , and is a goos example of what im talkin about.:

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

Question What is the best bang for your buck exhaust set up for an automatic tranny 94 corolla?

I am looking for more low end power, and do not want to lose to much back pressure.

I have a CAI yet to be installed.

I do not plan on installing headers.

You'll just be louder and have something more interesting than stock under the rear bumper.

so you mean to tell me that there are no exhaust upgrades?
    I appreciate your help, but dont understand how there are no upgrades out there. I can understand that with my base model corolla I will not be seeing HUGE gains, but there has got to be something out there.

Toysport recommends a Remus muffler with custom piping...but the muffler alone is over $400. I dont see the bang for the buck in that.

Ebay sellers post the N1 cat-back kits, but with 2.5" diameter piping, I think it might be a little large and I would see a drop in low-end power due to a loss of back pressure.

I was also debating an HKS universal muffler with custom piping.

I would really like to hear what gains / losses anyone has seen by upgrading their exhaust system. There HAS GOT TO BE something out there that does more than improve looks and sound.

Not unless you upgrade the engine. N/A engines wont' see much gain from opening up intake/exhaust pathways. Boosted engines will see good gains, though.

Eh, not really. Mabey 1hp. Not worth the money. Loud and annoying.

it really depends on the car. NA or FI, some cars do quite well with an opened exhaust. The 4/7A-FE powered Corolla, doesnt do that well. same w/ the 1zz and 2zz.

i got an apexi n1 w/ custom piping. at the most you get an aggressive sound , and a little weight savings , seems as the stock muffler weighs over 25 lbs. as far as performance , it just sounds faster.

Think about it like this. Your engine is a highway for air. The more air going through, the more fuel you can add, the more power you will make.

You have a 2 lane road filled with cars.
    The road then expands to a 6 lane interstate.
    Will you have more cars on the interstate?
    No, because the 2 lane road is restricting the flow of traffic.

Same thing is happening in your engine. Exhaust is not the restriction on naturally aspirated 7afe/4afe engines so opening it up won't make any noticable power gains.

Unless you're going to add a turbo, then keep your stock exhaust. If you change it, noise, vibration, and your checking balance will be the only things that change. I did the loud exhaust when I first got my car. After a year I ended up cutting that crap off and went back to an oem muffler. I got sooooooooooo sick of every car on the road trying to race me. It got very annoying. Also, the cops will notice your loud exhast as well, and i'm sure you're just begging from their attention.

If you want the best of both worlds... buy one of these (y pipe) for $40 and have all the loud fun you want, and also have the oem look and sound when you want to fly low.

y-pipes have been around since 57 belairs w/ stroked engines. there really popular with the classic car croud. but still wont do any good w/ our engines . like i said you lose weight but gain no performance.

punkzcorolla wrote:
    Question What is the best bang for your buck exhaust set up for an automatic tranny 94 corolla?

I am looking for more low end power, and do not want to lose to much back pressure.

I have a CAI yet to be installed.

I do not plan on installing headers.

Hey man, I actually know this one! Check my sig. I've got all Magnaflow components with 2" openings, all sized the same as their stock counterparts (catalytic, resonator & rear muffler), custom 2" tubing (I also figured that anything larger than that would be more detrimental than helpful for my application) and NO exhaust tip. I wanted it to look bone stock so I just have the plain 2" tailpipe from the muffler pointing straight back. It's also painted black like the rear muffler. I've also got a replacement K&N panel filter instead of the normal CAI because I didn't want the excess intake noise either.

My Geo is a 5 spd, though.

Anyway, there is a marked improvement. It's actually surprisingly quick off the line now (all things considered), and she scoots in and out traffic much easier as well. Also noticed ~much~ better throttle response in the 4000 - 5500K power band range.

Got all my parts off eBay from the same online dealer and I couldn't be happier with my decision. She only sounds a little more agressive, but just enough to turn the heads of fellow enthusiasts on the road who think something's up but then blow it off when they don't see a flashy exhaust tip. Probably assume it's a holey exhaust, which is exactly what I wanted - anything NOT to attract attention.

My opinion? Do it!!