1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Who has turbocharged there 1zz-fe?

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by Mr.Cool, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Offline

LoSx New Member

Message Count:
    wont the car react funny with a 3 bar replacement as the voltage will be off??

If not I can just get one off another car to plug and play!

And yeah the modifications would have to be off emanage... I didnt know that the map sensor could just be swapped though!! Do you know if the 98 - 99 Map sensor is the same as 97?
  2. Offline

RacingSolution New Member

Message Count:
    I believe the 3 bar just makes the voltage more precise
  3. Offline

LoSx New Member

Message Count:
    imwondering more if the voltage for say the stock unit is i dunno full vacume to atmosphere is 0 - 5 volts then putting in a 3 bar sensor that does full vacume to 2 bars also must go from 0 - 5v and those voltages map up differently unless im not thinking about it correctly
  4. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    the voltage recieved from the map sensor directly computes into the equation used for fuel on toyotas... a previous trick done by many on toyota's is the following: multiply your injector size by the amount of bar you install..

eg. 200 cc injector stock w/ 1 bar map sensor = 400 cc injector with 2 bar map sensor ...

i haven't had a problem yet and use no injector compensation routine in my emanage to change it up.
  5. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    actually it has no idea what the actual pressure is .... think of it this way...

your car's map sensor (no matter 1-3 bars) is 0-5v. on map sensor cars it uses a combination of voltage signal from the map sensor and voltage signal from the temperature sensor (as well as a couple other things, but those are primary) to calculate how much the injector will be open to provide fuel for the amount of air. It's a set rate for the air portion of things so you can manipulate it mathmatically in direct proporation. (98/99 w/MAP - 1 bar = 200cc, 2 bar = 400cc, 3 bar = 600cc)

(now if anyone out there wants to try to disagree think about this)

How does an eManage compensate for larger injectors? It divides the map sensor signal in accordance to the ratio of old injector vs new injector.
    Same theory applies when you use an Apexi unit, you tune down the signal from your map to make the car believe it has less air, thus turning down the injectors pulse rate so that your car isnt flooding out. The adjustment is linear therefore providing you with the right amount of fuel as you raise your air pressure. -- However in any case this method has a flaw... once your car truly does reach the actual hardware limit of the MAP sensor, it caps out at 5 volts. While you may have effectively been able to double the amount of boost you can handle, (perhaps as high as 9-10 psi or so) you still cannot move past that.

eManage handled that situation by allowing your car to use the pressure sensor greddy uses with the eMange to tune your system. Once the stock map sensor has exceeded its limits and is sending 5v to the eManage while the eManage is telling your ECU you're really at 2.5v (assuming you just doubled your injector size and didn't go farther) you're now stuck with the dilemma of ' how do i tell my injectors to give me more fuel? ' - the greddy sensor is 3bar thus allowing you to tune off the absolute pressure and give your injectors more duty cycle's to provide more fuel according to the amount of boost you're running as well as tune down ignition, etc... you're basically completing the job that your stock system couldn't do because it had no clue you were running so high.

This is one of the biggest reasons why Greddy says it can only handle 150% over stock injectors. There is only so much lying you can do to your ECU. :)

In my case I used the eManage to switch some things up (one more thing i love about eManage) - I installed 550cc injectors w/ 3bar map. Obviously thats less than 600 so in the eManage i put in 600cc injectors as my stock and 550cc as my "upgrade". This readjusted all the math for my signals and *NOTHING* runs lean. If/When I decide to go over 2bar in pressure I may actually install some 650's or 750's but I have no immediate plans to be using that much fuel. That and I got the 550's for damn near nothing, so it was nice. :)

As far as my car running... remember - don't think of your ECU as being intelligent enough to know how much boost you're running. Think of it as a computer that does math. It knows ' this many pulses @ this voltage ' and by having larger injectors, i have only slowed the rate of fuel leaving the injector by providing it with less voltage. It runs absolutely PERFECT. And my fuel ratio's are DEAD ON. While running in vacuum my AF reads 14.5 (stoich) and right as I hit 0 (atmospheric) it richens up to 12.0 then as I go into boost it drops to 11:5 and holds steady (due to my tuning of the eManage) throughout the boost range.

(hope this has made sense, and if anyone needs clarification ask, i'll come back and fill stuff in)
  6. Offline

RacingSolution New Member

Message Count:
    Great info Travis
  7. Offline

RollaRyder1103 New Member

Message Count:
    Travis is really the man on this type of shit if u need to know it, we have had many convos concerning turbos and engine management and tranny info, he is especially knowledgeable w/ the 98-99 Rollas
  8. Offline

LoSx New Member

Message Count:
    Yeah i know the 00+ a lot better as I learned everything in the world about MAF sensors LoL

So in the end you ARE NOT using the stock map sensor.... using your method your using the emanage sensor for the entire range and not the stock MAP... this makes a lot of sense and Im pretty sure ill be fien tunning now

How is you idle with a manual?? I idle ok but my car wants to idle at 650 rpm's and once I get under 750 it starts being a crappy idle....

my 550's are at the minimum opening level at 650 and there putting a little too much still I believe.. Does your idle stumble a little not much but not a perfect idle?? If I have ac on or it at 750 rpm or it just started it idles liek stock though... Im still unsure if its timing or fuel but Im going to keep messing with it to find out!

Thanks for the help!
  9. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    to the comments from rollaryder:

- thats right make my head swell - lol jk

My idle has seemed fine - honestly the one thing I can stress the most is the use of a wideband o2 sensor w/ meter. that is the only true way to tune your car - once you get it set at the base and at the top and have it balanced out in between you are SET. sadly i wish I could say i've had this problem and solved it - then I could be much more help to ya.

Also on your idle - do you have a lightweight flywheel? just curious -
  10. Offline

LoSx New Member

Message Count:
    no normal flywheel.... although my trnasmission hoiusing is cracked... ouch but thats gonna get fixed I hope by the dealer as it broke b4 the turbo anyhow

I had it tuned at a dyno for a few hours with a wideband all between... but I do think im going to get one for better tunning just in case
  11. Offline

LoSx New Member

Message Count:
    oh and where does your car idle because mien idles fine until 720ish or so...
    youll need emanage or something to get exact number as rpm gauge isnt exact
  12. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    no way, i swapped out for the manual ecu - however my throttle body could have its idle adjustment a little diff than yours since it was an auto *shrug* i dunno just kinda shootin in the dark here.
  13. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    my rpm gauge is dead on ... eManage and RPM's read exact match. My car actually idles @ around 750-850. No issues at all... just kinda hangs out ready to go...
  14. Offline

LoSx New Member

Message Count:
    do you still have your auto ecu?? If my car idles 750 - 850 I would have absolutely no idle problems... just once it gets under 680 or so its a little.
  15. Offline

turbokits.com New Member

Message Count:
    Hello Vortex,

This post was just brought to my attention by an interested customer. Can you please explain why you feel this way? You bash the kits without giving any solid feedback about why?

By the way, the kits are made by Turbo Specialties... We are just a retail store selling their stuff. If you don't like the kit, you don't like the kit, but there is no reason to bash TurboKits.com, we don't make them...

Jesse @ Turbo Kits.com

16. Offline

jtweezy New Member

Message Count:
    well you should stop selling products that dont fit!!!! Well obviously you know that they dont fit right???? So instead of questioning NE body you should just take them off lists, shelves, and your websites!!!! Hey we wouldn't be saying NE thing if 1 of our members had actually put your kit on their vehicle without having to go thru hell to make piping or other parts fit!!!... Your a business right??? Well if you know that your product doesn't fit, why keep selling it????? Thats the real question!
  17. Offline

ted96corolla Guest

Message Count:
    i have a auto 98 would it be better to get a 5 spd with a act clutch,lightened flywheel and shortshifter or run a custom turbo with the auto tranny
  18. Offline

jtweezy New Member

Message Count:
    you'll have more fun running a turbo with a manual tranny but hey i got a auto with a turbo on it just sucks that i dont have 550cc injectors to turn up the boost
  19. Offline

jtweezy New Member

Message Count:
    well hey as long as the problem gets fixed man you should be gettting a couple orders from down here in texas....
  20. Offline

xplicitcorolla99 Active Member

Message Count:

i think you should tell turbo specialties the 411 info about there turbo kits for the corolla,why they dont fit right and make there kits fit right without doing any mods or fabs...
  21. Offline

turbokits.com New Member

Message Count:
    We have sold quite a few of the 1ZZ-FE kit just this year and have not had any returned because they did not fit. I think some of the issues you might have heard about were due to bad instructions. TSI is working on new instructions that shows exactly how to route everything. Also, we do pull products. Typically if we get 2 back in a row we pull the kit. We did it with the mini kit and sent the reasons to TSI, they are re-working the kit and will hopefully re-release it soon. We did the same with their Miata kit.

I am not saying issues will never arise, but as long as they are handled professionally and the customer is supported. It ends up being more of an inconvienence and not an end to the project.

Not trying to argue... Just trying to get some feedback to make sure if there are any problems they get looked into by TSI

Jesse @ Turbo Kits.com

22. Offline

turbokits.com New Member

Message Count:
    Working in it... Hoping I can get some help here?

Jesse

23. Offline

turbokits.com New Member

Message Count:
    I have a test mule lined up in WA state. The kit is on it's way to him. He is going with the AFC option and 550cc injectors. SEMA is going to slow us down a bit, but we should have the kit installed with detailed pics, vids and DYNO graphs as well as a full write up after the show.

Speaking of the SEMA show. If I seem to dissappear sometime next week. That is where I will be :)

Staye Tuned

Jesse @ Turbo Kits.com

24. Offline

LoSx New Member

Message Count:
    have fun with those 550cc injectors (unless its just two additional ones) cuz they spray a lot of fuel even at idle....

I guarentee he will have problems... hell everyone does and when they happen post up and maybe one of us will catch the problem... Good luck.. I must say for a company to go to a corolla site and actually ask questions and show support is a very nice sign and it shows at least now that your a reputable company.. just remember 98-99 are different then 00-02 and I think auto and manual trannys also sometimes mess with the piping.... (not super sure if its true stafford had a problem though)

I wish he was closer because Id love to help him throw that sucker in...
  25. Offline

jtweezy New Member

Message Count:
    hey turbokits.com how much for 550cc injectors??? are they a direct fit?? (for 98 corolla)
  26. Offline

turbokits.com New Member

Message Count:
    I know, he got the kit from us but go the injectors somewhere else... He has a professional shop doing the work, so hopefully they can straighten everything out. We'll see.

Typically we sell 550cc injectors for $300 - $350.

We should have some feedback about the install once we get back from SEMA.

Hey LoSx, thanks for the props... Just trying to clear the air. The guy on the board that started the post about the kits and getting screwed, bad service etc. actually got the kit at ProStreet and not from us. So I asked him to go back to the post and clear the air about our service. Either way, hopefully we can prove to all of you now, that we truly do put our customers first :)

Jesse @ Turbo Kits.com

27. Offline

hothbl Guest

Message Count:
    This is my list:
    Car Model : 1998 Corolla
    Engine Setup : 1.8 1ZZ-FE
    Driveline : Standard automatic
    Turbo charge : MHI TD04L
    Intercooler : Middle size
    Blow-off : Greddy Type-S
    engine management : Ultimate E-Manage
    Air-filter : K&N
    Exhaust : Remus Muffler x 2
    Injector : Use 3SGE type 345cc
    Fuel pump : Celica 2000 GTS
    Oil cooler : Trust Oil-cooler
    ATF cooler : Denso cooler
    Water thermostat : SARD 68C
    SPARK PLUGS : Brisk 14ZC
    Plug Wires : Tom's plug wires
    Brake system : RX-7 Callipers + 282mm Disk, Rear Disk brake
    Electronic parts : Defi VSD CONCEPT with oil temp., water temp., oil pressure, exhaust temp., gas pressure and turbo pressure sensor.
    Turbo timer: Blitz DTT tubro timer
    Valve cotroller : HKS EVC IV
  28. Offline

CorollaStage0 Guest

Message Count:
    Please tell me more hothbl. How long have you been boosting? Are you still at 6psi? How is your car taking the boost? Daily driver? I can go on and on with questions since i'm in the mist of boosting my 02.

Thanks for telling me everything =)
  29. Offline

hothbl Guest

Message Count:
    My car boost from 2004/1/30 and bootst at 8.5psi now(peak 10psi).
    Yes! I driver my car to work daily.
  30. Offline

kudkudniyog Guest

Message Count:
    Did you get a chance to put it on a dyno? What ar ethe numbers?