1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Where can I find the laws/regulations for automobile parts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by darrenwang, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Offline

darrenwang Guest

Message Count:
    Where can I find the laws/regulations for automobile parts?

I need to find the information of the relative regulations regarding to aftermarket car parts, such as intake, muffler, header...etc. Whether they are legal? What kind of inspection do they need to pass? All the legal issue.

I have tried to look up online but I couldn't find any information. Does anyone know where I can find those?
  2. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
  3. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    I was under the impression that any aftermarket parts were illeagal unless they were legalized. It was my understanding that you had to get a slip saying it was legal. Anyone correct/support my statement, or is it only for certain parts?
  4. Offline

AznRolla Guest

Message Count:
    really depends... when lowering ride hieght, follow state law and ur fine, anything linked to emissions, if ur state does emissions test, best to have the CARB sticker on the equipment, if not possible, i.e. headers, just have it under ur hood where its easily seen when hood is open.
  5. Offline

w1ngzer0 Guest

Message Count:
    honestly. Is a cop at random going to say "pop the hood" no. If you were speeding he is going to pull you over and give you a speeding ticket. If your street racing you are fuxored. So doesn't matter honestly. If i live in california with my 240sx and i have a 500hp car i don't give a shiet about carb. Even if the cop gives me a fix it ticket drop whatever he put on the ticket and get the ticket droped.

CARB is overrated honestly. So stop worrying about the silly crap and stop street racing kiddys.
  6. Offline

AznRolla Guest

Message Count:
    ive heard of cops pulling people over and looking for cARB numbers... also u likely wont pass inspection without a CARB sticker, i know of people here in Texas that couldnt pass inspection because they didnt have a federal approval number or a CARB numer for headers.
  7. Offline

crovax New Member

Message Count:
    I love florida
  8. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    I would start here. I'm assuming that the NHTSA is the "base" law/regulation for all states. Each state may have further restrictions...