1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

What are the symptoms of a seized brake caliper?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rayray1, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Offline

rayray1 Active Member

Message Count:
    What are the symptoms of a seized brake caliper?

I was driving along at parking lot speeds (10-15mph) and noticed a continuous intermittent squealing coming from the right side. This has been going on for a few months being on and off again.

It's more noticeable when turning the steering wheel to the right.

What are common symptoms of a seized brake caliper?

What should I be looking for?
  2. Offline

KrypticKarma ~2001 Corrizm~

Message Count:
    Mine made that noise when my wheel bearing took a crap. If a caliper goes out you would notice uneven wear on the brake pads. Maybe one is wheel is worn out alot more than the other. You could also check by pushing back the piston on the caliper and making sure the slides slide back and forth freely.
  3. Offline

nyrican52884 Active Member

Message Count:
    I agree. Sounds like a wheel bearing
  4. Offline

darkgamer1912 Member

Message Count:
    sounds more like a wheel baring where do u live cause if u live where it snows a lot the salt might of destroyed it which isnt uncommon for new england or snowy areas. also if ur gonna check the piston, check the slide pins which are those things the caliper bolts to just pull them out of there rubber boots and go get some brake grease at the auto parts store and make sure those go in and out easily. also u might as well change the pads if u gonna do all this.
  5. Offline

rayray1 Active Member

Message Count:
    I live in Canada.... Toronto, Ontario to be exact. Yes, the roads are heavily salted here in winter.

Would there be a difference in the noise caused by a bad wheel bearing compared to a bad caliper?

I'm pretty sure it's the caliper because I notice an almost deafening squeal when I brake on offramps at highway speeds.
    Strange thing is that I noticed this noise even after the caliper was rebuilt, I notice that the bleeder valve on the caliper wasn't working properly before the rebuild as it dripped brake fluid when I tried to perform a flush.
  6. Offline

KrypticKarma ~2001 Corrizm~

Message Count:
    Maybe your pads are at the wear indicators. If the caliper doesnt move freely it will stick when you apply the brakes and wear down your pads in no time. Best way to check.. rip it all apart and look at it. Theres not much more we can tell you on here without seeing the car.
  7. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    It's the wheel bearing for sure. And by the sound of it, your hub is completely gone too.