1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

well, got a persistant problem on teh car, "wat do"

Discussion in 'Stop, Drop & Roll' started by SaberJ2X, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    car has a persistant tire eating habit

inner side of the passenger wheel...
    post ideas what could it be, I wanted to put a camber bolt to the car to align the wheel to be as straight as the driver side that never gets eaten...

but apparently the alignment guy didn't agree and I basically took off before I had a bigger argument and had another episode of heart problems.

Tl;DR
    car eats inner passenger wheel...
    wat do
  2. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Is it the passenger side both tires getting eaten? or just the front passenger tire. Either way it does sound like a camber or alignment issue.
  3. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    just front one
  4. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    check your bearing. check your control arm to make sure that the bushings arent super worn out. basically eliminate all other problems suspension wise, so that when your mechanic asks you all of these questions, you have the right information to back them up. the stronger your argument is, the higher the chances you have of winning it.

personally ive seen it a billion times. camber issues. wat do? camber bolt. I fix :D
  5. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    yea I'll get my friend monday and ask him if he can do me the favor...

bearings? new
    control arms? new
    bushings? all new
    tie rods? new
    shocks n springs? shocks new, springs are still good
    swaybar links? all 4 new

translating what his smart ass was telling me when I told him, my car keeps eating the front right wheel was.
    "you have a problem I can't see/check"
  6. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    Well i translate his existence into a worthless mechanic that cant do his job properly.

If everything is as new as you say, then its either a toe problem or a camber problem. most likely a camber problem.
  7. Offline

KrypticKarma ~2001 Corrizm~

Message Count:
    Just because all your parts are "new" doesn't mean they're good. Make sure you double check all the components you had replaced for defective parts. I went through 3 wheel bearings on my d/s front wheel before I got a good one.
  8. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    well if it was a toe or camber problem wouldn't the alignment people be able to DIAGNOSE IT?

cause that's my problem with them...
  9. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    yes they would be able to diagnose it without a problem. and i agree with kryptic. check all of your parts again. you never know. depending on how long it was since you changed them, they could have worn out again. NOTE: if the part wore down faster than its supposed to, you may be having an underlying problem. if this is the case, check for ANYTHING that doesnt look right
  10. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    well, went to pep boys, front right tire camber was a WHOLE 1.1 degress off, and the rear passenger one is a 0.5 degrees off (for a total of 2.5 in camber). and rear ones also needed some slight alignment.
    and yea, my front wheel bearings are busted too... AGAIN... atleast they are tons cheaper than the rear ones
    now I need a rear camber bolt 12mm...

even then the car feels so much predictable handling wise... it's not even funny... best 49$ spent
  11. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    YESSS muthafucking called that shit. Camber is unbelievably important. specially when you are trying to get your car going nice and straight. even .3 of a degree can fuck your car up and wear you're tires in crazy ways. Also, get the most expensive bearing for your car this time. i kept buying cheap bearings and going thru them like nothing till i bough the expensive one. its been a year now and i havent had to change it since.

lastly, need i say it, welcome to the camber bolt club :D
  12. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    I bought koyo bearings lol... which ones are GOOD ones then?
  13. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    well i called my store and they told me that i bought the "altron" brand bearing, which has a life time warranty. thats all i know.