1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Turbo'd Rolla is Dying!

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by RacingSolution, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Offline

Turbo1zz New Member

Message Count:
    I've thought that very same thing myself... Why people will sit there and read all the negative comments and then shell out over 3 grand anyway is beyond me...

I wish I had waited just one more month and found the 7thgen civic boards before I bought that piece of garbage. Seems they had been and are still having ten times more problems then any Celica or Corolla owner when it comes to stafford and his complete lack of competance.

If you don't want to spend 10g's then do some research (foreign word to stafford) and put a kit together yourself. You can still have the shop make a manifold and downpipe for you but the rest is just a matter of gathering the parts and installing them. PM me if you want to know more..
  2. Offline

RacingSolution New Member

Message Count:
    Well I'm glad someone elses loss can be your entertainment Jeff.. it shows what type of person you are...
  3. Offline

Turbo1zz New Member

Message Count:
    Well I look at it this way...

YOU WERE WARNED!!!
  4. Offline

Turbo4afe Guest

Message Count:

Oh so true...alcohol injection? huh? never used that...

4AFE OWNZ 1ZZFE

custom build - 14 PSIs: Problems NONE
  5. Offline

kaosfm Guest

Message Count:
    Christ guys, take this offline. Go fight eachother and get it over with.
  6. Offline

Turbo1zz New Member

Message Count:
    The joke of a alcohol injection kit stafford includes is nothing more than a pressure switch and a nozzle to route the alcohol into the charge pipe. The parts cost a total of $9 and can be bought at most autoparts stores. It uses the windshield wiper motor and reservoir making your windshield wiper nozzle useless. It is not a good setup at all. The nozzle is prone to clogging and there is no way to really know if it is running or not.

A real water injection system has everything here:

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/cp/sys2c/sys2c.html

This the only water injection system I would run on a turbo kit. The aquamist kit lets you know if there is a blockage or if the pump is not operating properly. The injection is meter and not just on/off like stafford's setup. You can also run the aquamist system from a third party controller as well so you can have a completely mapable water injection system that will work and will not fuck up your motor...

Jeff
  7. Offline

Turbo1zz New Member

Message Count:
    Believe me... I'm done with him...
  8. Offline

mncrolln Guest

Message Count:

Yeah I can get the kit made and put in my car for way less than $10K, I was just going to fork out the cash and have 3 or for kits put together and ready for sale if there was interest in getting a top quality kit for $3500-4000, but since no one seems to care about quality and they just want to spend $3K on this P.O.S. then there is no point in me forking out the cash and making this happen. I will give it about 2 or 3 months and see if anybody really cares about having a quaility kit made and if not, I will just go with a one-of custom and pray for those who wasted their money on the SF kit.
  9. Offline

slvr2000fdvspec Guest

Message Count:
    for some reason, i read the title as "Turbo'd Rolla Is Dynoed!"
  10. Offline

System Error Guest

Message Count:
    I don't think he was blaming you..it sounds like he's blaming SF. At least that's what I got out of it.
  11. Offline

Message Count:
    Its ok Jeff.. I'm going by what Stafford told me about you modifying the way the alcohol injection system was grounded.

Do you ever see me blaming you about why my motor is this way? Do you ever see me saying you dont know how to install a turbo?

No.. You dont... so shut up... and you're bringing nothing to this thread, so stay out of it, because I dont care what you have to say.
  12. Offline

RollaRyder1103 New Member

Message Count:
    i am goin 2 have a custom kit made as well and i'm prolly gonna have internal work done as well so i can boost away w/ no probs like this...and now that I have a sponsor...things should alot easier to get done what I need to. when I look in2 it more I will see bout gettin it produced for others as well.
  13. Offline

superpilun Guest

Message Count:
    wow guys what's with all the drama. with regards to the turbo kit, any common sense will tell you that using water injection for the sole purpose of running higher boost is a bad idea. the only way to run higher boost is to have proper tuning. water injection is like a band-aid which is bound to cause problems. i ran my cutom kit at 6.5 psi and it was realiable, because i knew the limitations of a piggyback fuel system that just raises the fuel pressure. you can't just run higher boost by trying to cool the intake charge using mist. that's just poor engineering. a little common sense goes a long way.

as with the people complaining no one shows interest in a group buy. HELLO!! HAVE YOU NOT LEARNED ANYTHING FROM THE PAST 5 YEARS OF PEOPLE LIKE DUWAYNE TRYING TO GET PEOPLE TO BUY A "PROTOTYPE"? IT JUST WON'T HAPPEN.
  14. Offline

Turbo1zz New Member

Message Count:
    Bitching and Pettiness (Mostly on my part) aside.... I hope Brian finally writes something up to tell everyone what kind of service stafford offers. I am going to write up a detail of all the crap I had to deal with and post it in the vender forum.
  15. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    all i'm going to say is i would never trust a shop or a company to make something like this as a "kit" for your car...... i don't care how much you pay for it.... you can pay a shop $70 an hour and they can still not do it right

lesson here: do you own work.... if you can't do the work, take the needed parts to machine shops and have each piece made seperately so you know what's going on
  16. Offline

Pantaloon007 Guest

Message Count:
    SF should stand for Shitty Fuckers-

Those guys have really done some crap work. And people want to trust their cars to "professionals"....
  17. Offline

System Error Guest

Message Count:
    I tell you what sucks....having to make EVERY bolt and nut that goes to the kit....that's what I had to do. I never want to tap another bolt or nut again.
  18. Offline

Supershyguy New Member

Message Count:

HAHAHAHAHAHA lol :p
  19. Offline

Message Count:
    My first impression of Stafford was quite good.. Stafford called me up after hearing I purchased the kit and offered me any assistance I needed... While at his shop in Lancaster getting the turbo installed, Mike Baldini took me and my girlfriend out to lunch, their treat. Mike was pleasant answering any and all questions I had regarding the turbo.

Mike Stafford is very difficult to get a hold of via telephone... I understand he is busy, but I think that aspect of his business is not good.

I do feel the kit was not fully tested properly, however it was the first SF kit on the 98-00 Corolla's which is different than the 01-02's. Stafford had to make a new pipe which he did during the install. I still have not gotten that powdercoated yet which stafford says he can have done in a day.

Past times I've been up there to Lancaster, Stafford seemed busy and not too interested in helping me fix issues with the kit. He did spend the time with Sean's by test driving, etc.. but seemed frustrated about the time he was spending.

Overal, my experiences dealing with Stafford have not been that bad. I was interested in having Stafford make a turbo kit for the Scion TC. Based on the experiences from my turbo kit, and hearing about others, I do not want to be a prototype on the kit.

I think Stafford has definite potential to make top quality kits, however the R&D phase needs to be more lengthy.

I also offered to write a web based customer service application which will assist with his customer service, but he didn't seem interested.

I haven't spoken to mike lately and have not mentioned my current issues with the car. I am confident that he would take the time to look at the car if I brought it out to his shop.

This could go on and on, but I'm done with my story.
  20. Offline

Lekz Guest

Message Count:
    i give props to supershyguy for doing the 2zz swap...which ppl SHOULD be doing.

N/A is Best

i don't believe its good to turbo a factory n/a engine...especially when u dont kno shit about turbocharging and your havin a shady shop do it. but if u do it...do it rite the first time which is gunna cost more than 4k.
  21. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    hmmm.... damnnn...

30K & 1yr boosted - 0 problems here...

btw, my shop is going to start producing piping kits and manifolds for the insane diy guys... i refuse to support any kind of ' tuning ' products - however I will give ideas and input from my own experiences, i refuse to put my company into that liability...

btw... RS i need to chat with ya sometime soon.... way of makin ya some more money with some new products we're about to produce...
  22. Offline

Message Count:
    Sounds good.. email me at info@racingsolution.com
  23. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    ugh..... i can turbo the 4agze i'm getting ($700 with tranny) for WAY less than $4,000.... more like.... sell the supercharger and use that money to get a manifold and turbo..... you don't need gobs of money to turbo a car.....

n/a is best for what? i'm with ya on some aspects.... depends on what you want with the car.... a track car (auto-x, road course, and "touge" driving) should be n/a.... a turbo car is peaky and is hard to reach the potential of the engine on a track before you have to brake or slow down for a corner.... for a drag car... a well built block with a decent turbo would be better....
  24. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    :rolleyes:

um.... no comment
  25. Offline

Message Count:
    Oh yah.. just an update for everyone... the cause of my car starting horrible... a bad battery... Battery was swapped with a more powerful one, and now its just fine... it was 5 years old....
  26. Offline

Tokez420 Guest

Message Count:
    knock on wood ;)
  27. Offline

ChristianVA New Member

Message Count:
    lol
  28. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    hehe ... 30K miles with the way *I* drive it... anything past that is just gift time to me... besides, i'm ready to go on some nice skunkworks style projects I've got lined up for the car, just been waiting for it to die so it'll nudge me enough to do it... lol
  29. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    you turbo'd a car that didn't come from the factory turbo.... and you don't even do you own oil change...... :confused:
  30. Offline

Message Count:
    Is there a problem with that?