1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Turbo is on and car is running...kinda

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by crovax, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Offline

TheBeak Guest

Message Count:
    where? maby we could meet for a looksee?
  2. Offline

crovax New Member

Message Count:
    DAMN guys, i just got the car back today, i havent gotton it dynoed or teasted yet...but i will soon i'm sure. I live in Palm beach gardens, so if you ever wanna shoot across the state, we could definitly meet up...i live right next to moroso, so if you want to come on a Wed or Fri, we could meet up, grab some dinner or something, and then go drag racing, would be fun for sure :)

OK, I finally got the car, and here are my driving impressions... OHH MY FUCKING GOD THIS BITCH OWNZ! There's power all over the speedo, no matter what gear or what speed you're going, you have power. 1st gear is totaly pointless...and remember folks, i drive an auto. Anytime you floor it in 1st gear...except off the line, the tires will break lose. If you floor it off the line, theres just enough lag to give you traction, then you shoot out like a rocket. If at any point you decide to floor it and the car downshifts into 1st...forget it, you're just gonna melt tires. My car is faster at 1/2 throttle now than it was at full throttle before the turbo. Its rediculous. You can punch it at 90 mph, and youll be up to 105 in no time. Its absoultly ludicris. Now, on to the prolbems....

I have no engine managment system in place to handle this...and the stock computer and stock fuel system handle the 6.5 psi that i'm running just fine...welll...they handle it ok anyway. At full throttle....everything is awsome. The computer just dumps a shitload of fuel into the motor, and you take off like a bat outta hell...but after that, the computer is like "wtf just happened?" and it totally screws up the air/fuel ratios. It'll start dumping insane amounts of fuel, which caused me to backfire (explosen outta the talepipe), and misfire as well.... the ide is rough now, but it still idles. I have a small coolant leak somewhere, and if you're constantly running it into the ground, it will overheat after a few runs. The computer luckily is smart enough to figure out that it needs to deal with the boost, and after it learns what the hell is going on in the motor, it adjusts fine. It took my motor about 20 min of driving around to totally figure out whats going on.

When i left the shop, i blew off one of the intercooler pipes, and lost boost...well... it blew off right before the TB, so the MAF was reading insane amounts of air, and dumping the right amount of fuel, but the air wasnt going into the engine, instead it was breathing N/A. Well, once i came to a stop, the car stalled out. I blew off the pipe in 2 locations, and i didnt figure it out until later...so i was driving the car around just revving it everywhere i went so it wouldnt stall...turbo was screaming, it was nice :)

Ohh yes, and the sound. AWSOME! its like having a girl whisper in your ear and push yuou back in your seat at the same time...amazing :) Anyway, i need to sleep, i'll reply to this in a few days and post those pics..i promise.
  3. Offline

native rolla Guest

Message Count:
    so how is the auto tranny holding up? any really hard shifts or funny noises? oh yeah have fun while your at it :)
  4. Offline

Tro1086 Guest

Message Count:
    Man that sounds freakin awsome, im gettin way pumped now. Just think if you had a 5spd. I want a turbo so bad now after hearing your response, hehehe. Or atleast the SC. But its probably gona be a while before i get enough money to get a Turbo or SC. I wana get tints, trd tower brace bar, header, and the unichip all before i go into forced induction or any big/expensive mod like that, so thats gona make it take even longer.
  5. Offline

renandabomb New Member

Message Count:
    So how much did you end up spending at the end for each and totally.. ?
  6. Offline

crovax New Member

Message Count:
    well...in total, i spent about $3500 on everything, but it can be done for about half that. If you dont want an intercooler, youll save almost $1000, and if you dont buy a POS exhaust manifold that almost breaks your engine, then that'll save some money too.. The AFC isnt necessary, as i'm running without it hooked up. I've found the computer to be amazginly adaptive to the turbo, because whenever it dumps too much fuel and starts to run rough, it fixes itself within a matter of moments. Its quite a nice computer. This project could be done with a T3/T4 turbo for probably about $2000 total
  7. Offline

CowboyBebop Guest

Message Count:
    I can't wait to see some pics of this beauty :D
  8. Offline

crovax New Member

Message Count:
    soon, i'm gonna need someone to host them though, so if anyone wants to leave an email or something, thatd be great.. I just need to take a few more pictures to finish off the roll.

ohh yeah, and RexPelagi, you're gonna hate me because now with the turbo, i'm actually getting about 35 mpg.
  9. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    haha im know for crap gas mileage alright

Maybe i can try to get a turbo for better gas mileage. Btw did you get the mwr big bore kit with th 8.8 pistons first?
  10. Offline

Sasuke Guest

Message Count:
    damn you making everyone drooolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllling with that turbo ahaha nice have fun with it post pics soon i think we're all waiting for it
  11. Offline

crovax New Member

Message Count:
    I'll probably go get those pictures developed tomorrow or something :)

Naaa, i didnt get that kit, i'd like to someday...but i think what i'm gonna do is buy a second engine so i could just get it worked on while i work up some millage on my engine now. I'm gonna get oversized valves put in with a port/polish, and a big bore sleeved kit with 8.8:1 pistons...but thats a ways away.

The tranny seems to be holding up just fine, it actually seems to shift smoother now than without the turbo...but i doubt it will hold up for too long, i'll let ya know when it breaks.

ohh yeah, and i won my first race today. some guy in a 3.2 TL thought he was hot shit....he took off at the line...ha, you should've seen the look on his face.. i mustve beaten him by like a car and a half by 70 when i slowed down. He looked at me like "WTF?" i looked at him like "you payed how much for that?" :)
  12. Offline

damora Guest

Message Count:
    haha

thats awesome...i bet he nevers speaks of the time he raced a automatic corolla. lol
  13. Offline

crovax New Member

Message Count:
    yeah, if hes smart he wont mention it :)

Anyone from florida around here? I wanna see how fast i stack up to a supercharged manual corolla.
  14. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Wow crovax ur packing an automatic? I just figured since you were modding it, tranny was a stick. Well if its an auto its going to go, soon i predict. Nice success at the race, teach Hondas not to F*&% with us.
  15. Offline

crovax New Member

Message Count:
    yeah, if i ever find a wrecked rolla in a junkyard with a manual in it, i'm goiong to do the swap, but i can never seem to find a yard arounnd me with a wrecked 03 rolla in it...
  16. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    People dont wreck rollas. Its just that simple. They are too nice lol. DYNO DYNO DYNO PLEASE.
  17. Offline

crovax New Member

Message Count:
    well, i gotta get some stuff fixed first...the water pump has a small leak in it but its getting bigger...so i need to get that fixed tomorrow, and the injectors are too small...they seem to be leaning out at WOT, so i gotta find some 2ZZ injectors, or spend $400 on 440 cc/min injectors from MWR. Also, the turbo is burning a little bit of oil, so I gotta get that looked into... then I'll dyno. Ohh, i also need a wideband O2 sensor, so i know exactly what the air/fuel is doing.
  18. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    Keep it up and your car may be the one in the wrecker. Take it easy and stay off the side streets when you are racing. I dont care if you kill yourself on the highway, just make sure you roll to the outside edge away from traffic and inocent people.

Sounds like the car is pretty fast. I will be interested to see how well its hiolding up in a couple months.
  19. Offline

CorollaX Guest

Message Count:
    any pics of the turbo in ur car??
  20. Offline

crovax New Member

Message Count:
    The car is going back to the shop topday to get a little coolant leak fixed on the water pump. I have picutres, i need someone to host them for me though.... so someone PM me or gimmme an email address where i can send them. Also, the car leans out soo much at WOT that it burns a lot of oil everytime i really step on it...so until i get some injectors and a wideband O2 sensor, i'm not gonna go to the track or the dyno...but I'll give yall pictures as soon as possible :)

ohh yeah, I was driving down the road, and hit it pretty hard...there was this porchse boxter behind me...he heard me hit it, and he hit it too and tired to pass me...he expects to blow right around me at WOT...well, lemme tell you, when i hit it too, and he was just inching alongside me...he was like "WTF?" and then i let off the gas...the BOV screamed in his face, the look he gave me was percious :)
  21. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    Right now I have a very small leak in my intake piping on my 5000 turbo. So when I hit full boost it has a slight hiss to it. Then if I let off the gas completly it does the PSSSSSHHH sound! I love the sound, but am not happy about the lack of performance with the hole there. I need to fix it but think I better get a BOV to keep the sound. Plus it will save my engine a little bit.

Once you have boost you never want to go back to NA
  22. Offline

crovax New Member

Message Count:
    you know stinky i couldnt tell if you're being extremely sarcastic or serious in that post...you should get that hole fixed :)
  23. Offline

Drakon Guest

Message Count:
    all this sounds magnificant. I'm now questioning whether to get a S/C or a turbo. Where did u get it and for how much...???
  24. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
  25. Offline

Drakon Guest

Message Count:
    thx for the info RexPelagi ....
    but I would like to know where did you crovax get the turbo from....???
    Cause I live in PR and I would like to put the car turbo, it has better HP than the S/C but since i have no where to get it from here personally i would have to settle for the S/C.
    And i might visit this summer florida i might give ya a call to see this miracle of god, I am anxious to see it.
  26. Offline

crovax New Member

Message Count:
    DO NOT buy the turbo from the guy i bought it from. The manifold almost killed my engine, it was a POS, and nothing else in the "kit" worked. What i would do if i had to do it over and i had a budget of $3k, buy the manifold from MWR

http://monkeywrenchracing.com/turbo_performance_turbo_header_toyota_1zz_fe.html

and then go out and buy a T3/T4 off ebay or somewhere...should be like $300. Then go to the shop i went to and get all the piping custom made $250 for all 2.5" mendrel bent piping and welding. Go online and buy any intercooler you want that has both outlets on the same side, because it really shortenes the legnth of piping needed in the engine bay, which means less turbo lag and less pressure drop. I used an intercooler off of an MKIII supra. That one is about $100 on ebay. The only other thing you'll need is a boost guage, and some bigger injectors which will be about $500 for both. so we're up to $1650... The install, fabrication, and various other odds and ends will cost probably around $1500 so for $3150, you could have 200 wheel HP.... just a thought. For anyone in south florida, or anyone willing to drive to south florida, my shop knows exactly how to do it on our engines and exactly whats needed...
  27. Offline

Drakon Guest

Message Count:
    thx for the info corvax. I'll look into it, maybe i'll do the turbo system who knows, now that I know what I need it could be easier to find someone who can do the work. :)
    The thing is maybe I can get the S/C for 2500 installed and everything, with a friend of mines, darkapoc, from this page ironically andwe might get it for this summer. But it is all under speculations. Either way I want a faster ride andI can't wait to do either.
  28. Offline

MrDisco99 Guest

Message Count:
    I'd only get the turbo if you really know what you're doing and can afford to take big risks with your car. Otherwise, if you just want something easy and worry free, buy the S/C and be done with it.
  29. Offline

crovax New Member

Message Count:
    there areally arent too many big risks associated with the turbo... i took them all and now know exactly what to do and not to do. As long as you dont crank the boost beyond 7.5 psi and you have upgraded fuel injectors with a good wideband O2 and an air/fuel monitor, its just as safe as the S/C, just a hell of a lot faster. And the potentional for make more HP is there...with the S/C, the limit is somewhere around 200 or so without some serious internal engine modifications. With a good boost controller, you could get a nice and fat boost curve, and bring the boost up to 10 psi at high rpm, and not worry about straining the pistons and rods all that much. (high boost at low RPM is what kills engines). Then can you imagine? You would kill SRT-4's and run right alongside an EVO (they only lay down 230 to the wheels...at 10 psi, out rollas would be somewhere close to that, and we weigh 300 lbs less). Just a thought...but cant argu with you about the reliabillity...
  30. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    crovax, u send me the pics and i can host them for you. I sen u a pm, but i dont know if you saw it or not.