1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Turbo is on and car is running...kinda

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by crovax, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Offline

crovax New Member

Message Count:
    Turbo is on and car is running...kinda

The turbo is finally on, i took some pictures, i just have to get the film developed. I havent actually driven the car, but the people who were installing it said "Its a monster" they said they've never seen a 1.8 motor running such low boost make such enormous amounts of power, and they said that it was literally scary to drive wide open. Only thing is after a few runs, they said it started to develop a knock at the top end. They figured its one of a few things. Either something in the valvetrain came off or isnt holding, or the oil is too thin. I personally think its the 87 octane fuel in the tank, so whatever it is, they'll figure it out and i should have my car back tomorow.
  2. Offline

oddfish Guest

Message Count:
    whatever it is, definitly get that 87 octane junk replaced with some 93
  3. Offline

darkapoc Guest

Message Count:
    Very nice. What turbo did you install on it?
  4. Offline

crovax New Member

Message Count:
    The kit had to be custom made, and the turbo is a small T-25...ultra responsive, very little turbo lag.
  5. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    Screw the 93... go for 100 octane racing gas...

That should prevent ANY pinging...
  6. Offline

crovax New Member

Message Count:
    ehh, they sell 104 octane here... but at $6 a gallon, that would get old really quick...and the fact that its leaded doesnt settle well with me...and the fact that its only sold atr one gas station isnt the best thought either... but i'll try it one day and crank the boost :)
  7. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    The local airport should have 100 octane low lead for around $2.80 a gallon.
  8. Offline

MrDisco99 Guest

Message Count:
    Yeah, just remember to get rid of the cat before you put the leaded stuff in. Hopefully you don't have to pass emissions where you are.
  9. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    sounds incredible. Post some numbers so we can see how it runs.
  10. Offline

oddfish Guest

Message Count:
    how much boost are you running?
  11. Offline

crovax New Member

Message Count:
    Well, i went over there today to figure out what the whole knocking thing is about. The head guy there was taking the head off the car to see what was knocking around inside. What happened was there was a small piece of something inside the turbo that got shot into the engine and was causing a knock in the number 1 cyl. They're gonna have the head off by tonight and remove it, then by tomorrow it should be fine. The car broke lose everytime it downshifted. It was running 6 PSI and apparently, the stock injectors are big enough to do it because it was running rich at full boost. The car was amazingly quick. I'm going to probably run 6-7 psi when its back up and running, then i'll give you more detail, but it could break lose on a downshift...and I have 7" wide tires (215/45/17)
  12. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    your're making me drool just by describing how repsonsive the corolla can be. That's good though, how our cars can handle an upgrade like that. Makes me think whether I should get the Supercharger or the Turbo. I'll have to check the post on that just below this forum........
  13. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    [IMG] Can't wait for my supercharger.
  14. Offline

MrDisco99 Guest

Message Count:
    Has anyone looked into how much boost our heads and cylinders can handle? Is the 1ZZ built strong enough to take that kind of pressure consistently?

I'm just concerned about the potential life-shortening effects a turbo or supercharger can have on our engines before I think about getting one.
  15. Offline

crovax New Member

Message Count:
    I wouldnt worry too much about the supercharger reducing engine life...its made by toyota and doest give that much of a performance boost...as for the turbo, i figure my tranny will last about 10-20k more miles with the turbo before itll need to be replaced. The pistons are probably good for 10psi on track days...but not daily driven. I'd like to get a boost controller and set a nice boost curve...get 6 psi as soon as it comes on, and gradually bring it up to 9 psi by 6k rpm, then vent it all before the tranny shifts, so I dont shift under boost, extending my transmissions lifespan. the Apexi A-VCR should do it.
  16. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    Are you sure the supercharger doesn't give that much of a boost? It sure cost a lot of money for something that won't get a noticeable increase in performance.[/quote]
  17. Offline

c2300 Guest

Message Count:
    [/quote]

Yup actually from what i have heard the Supercharger only gave most people a 40hp boost, maybe more with the unichip. There are pros and cons to it, little boost compared to Turbo, but less ware on your engine and it will pass emissions.
  18. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    Wow, for something that sounds so big like "supercharger" you would think they put out more power than turbo, but I guess not from what other people are saying. Now I am even more curious about turbo.....
  19. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    So the TRD supercharger will pass emissions? That's good at least. Have you had it tested out? I like to have the performance, but I don't want to go on the extreme and make the car to the point where I can't get tags for it or making it not pass SMOG. On the other hand, a turbo installed would create more power. There are no aftermarket turbo kit is there? Except for the custom made one.
  20. Offline

crovax New Member

Message Count:
    the blower wont even come close to making the kind of power the turbo does. I should be making about 200 to the wheels with the 7 psi setup i have now. I think the supercharger is supposed to make 164 to the crank, so figure like 150 or so to the wheels, and thats being generous...but itll last a hell of a lot longer than the turbo.... Blk03rolla makes 208 to the wheels, but he has full exhaust, 9 psi pully, TRD intake, unichip, and a buncha other stuff... more money than youd spend on a turbo...and i'm just gettin started with 200 hp... I plan on making about 220 when i get a boost controller and some new injectors, once i get forged pistons and do the manual tranny swap...should make about 260-280 to the wheels. no way a supercharged rolla will ever do that without SERIOUS internal work to the head, valvetrain, and pistons.
  21. Offline

js10coastr Guest

Message Count:
    might want to start looking into driveshafts...I'm not sure what they are designed for, but I would think that you are coming close to it's limits.
  22. Offline

crovax New Member

Message Count:
    when i get there, this board will be the first to know :) just hope it doesnt happen on the interstate or anything :)
  23. Offline

rolla_dink Guest

Message Count:
    Wow. That's a lot of cheez

crovax, where are you located? Just asking because I would imagine all that work would keep you from passing smog, that is if it is applicable. I guess if you know the people or can do the work yourself you can always get it to pass.

Anyways - Kuddos to your rolla! You should post pictures and numbers if you can. It is fun to rob people of their pride when a rolla kicks their ass, especially when they aren't expecting it. I would love to do more to my car, except, as everyone knows, the smog laws are pretty tight in Cali. :(
  24. Offline

MrDisco99 Guest

Message Count:
    A turbo will always outperform a supercharger. A supercharger is belt driven so it robs from the engine's rotational energy to provide boost. A turbo is completely detached from the engine's output and instead works from the thermal energy already present and norrmally expelled with the exhaust. It's still not "power for nothing" since you're increasing back pressure. However it is a lot more efficient, so it's capable of higher gains.
  25. Offline

crovax New Member

Message Count:
    Thanks Mr disco, didnt wanna get into all that, but you did for me, appreciated :)

I live in florida, so smog isnt an issue (I have a 2.5" pipe from the turbo back through the car and exiting through a straight through muffler....sounds sweet, no reso, no cats)

A little update. I only have 5 more pictures left on my roll of film, so I'll be posting pictures soon. You should see the car without the head on the engine...the head looks soo tiny, but the intake and exhaust ports on it are already huge, although it looks like you could get away with a 1mm oversize valve. What happened to my engine to cause that knock was the turbo manifold had poor welding done to it, and a metal shaving on the inside of the manifold broke lose, deflected off the turbine and went into the engine via the exhaust valve. Luckily, the shaving didnt hit a valve when it got into the cyl or the sparkplug, and only did minor damage to 2 pistons and the head. We had to grind down a small amount on 2 pistons, and the head in 2 cyl. I took pictures of everything. Hes gonna go ahaid and port the turbo manifold, and undo the shitty work that came from this guy in arizona. I'm looking into legal action againsed him, just very lucky that the shaving didnt hit a valve or there would've been all sorts of damage. Anyway, he thinks the car will be back together either tomorrow, or thursday, and he now also consideres himself an expert on the toyota 1ZZ motor :) If anyone lives in south florida and needs something done to their rolla, I know the man to go to. I'll post pics soon.
  26. Offline

oddfish Guest

Message Count:
    I agree, plus they aren't that expensive even for an aluminum or carbon fiber. I might have missed it, but don't forget the brakes if you haven't done them already :)
  27. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    They wont break on the interstate for sure. they will usually break right when you are eccelerating. thats when the most stress is on them.

Are you intercooling the air as well? There is PLENTY of space on the fron end for a huge one. That would look pretty good.

With the turbo at 6 psi you would have added about 60 hp to the wheel. On smaller engines like that usually for every 1 psi you add, you will gain 10 hp on the wheels. So add the 120 or so from before you should make about 180 to the wheels. After you add an intake it will take you up to about 190, mabey push the limits to your 200 hp goal. It wouldnt be hard to get it up to 240hp at the wheels, but you really wont want to go much higher after that.

Also if you are going to run the boost at 10 psi on "race day" you may consider rigging up your own water injection system. You can make your own kit for pretty cheap, and it will give you MUCH more power, for very little cost. Plus if you are not intercooled it will make a big difference for your air charge temp.

On race day you could also add some alchahol to it at abotu a 50/50 mix to make some really fun power.
  28. Offline

crovax New Member

Message Count:
    Well, I figure the 6 psi probably puts me at about 180 or so, but the exhaust system is very nice for horsepower. I have an emromous intercooler form a single turbo supra (MKIII), which probably also helps add some horsepower. Also, the S-AFC helps me tune, and I'm going to head on over to a dyno once i have some bigger injectors to play with. If i break an axel...ohhh well, i dont think thats gonna happen with 200 hp...maybe on track day at 10 psi running race gas...but ehh, well see :)
  29. Offline

TheDruid Guest

Message Count:
    damn crovax! you must have HELLLA BANK!!!! breaking an axle..."ehh oh well.." hahahaa!! youre cool man! wish i were you! or at least have the money to do all that! mad props man!! where are the pics??! can't wait to see 'em.. maybe even drop a video clip or two when youre car's all done...

-dru
  30. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Hey if I u did this and I missed it im sorry, but try to get some dyno cahrts up if you can. Id love to see them.