1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Forced Induction Turbo Install Begins Now!

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by Barnacules, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Offline

asn13oy Stepping Stones

Message Count:
    How's it going?
  2. Offline

NothingFancy New Member

Message Count:
    im guessing youve finished by now but there are no more posts :( howd the tuning work out? and did TSI change their kit designs to fit onto 98-02 corollas?
  3. Offline

Barnacules 100101101011011

Message Count:
    Actually the car is done but the damn alternator blew up. That is why there have no been anymore posts. I could not find a battery charger today so I was unable to test the electrical system since I can't start the car. I finally located a trickle charger but its going to take 24hrs to charge up the battery so hopefully tomorrow I can track down the problems and take her for a test drive.
  4. Offline

magnem44 The Magnificent

Message Count:
    Hinesville the greates place on the Earth, GA
    I hope everything turns out fine for ya..........
  5. Offline

Message Count:
    I hope so too. I miss my car very much.
  6. Offline

pupo New Member

Message Count:
    Do you have more pictures that you can post? Did you solved the problem with the MAF sensor location?
    In my setup I installed the MAF close to throttle body and it works great for me and another thing is to make the piping where the MAF is at least 2.5", I made mine 2.25" and I had problems with the fuel mixture. I am currently running at 9psi and the car runs great.
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    Cool pupo, so your MAF is actually installed on the charged pipe? Not before the turbo? That would probably solve my blowoff problem.

Could you post some pictures on where you put your MAF? I want to see how you integrated it into the IC pipe
  8. Offline

Dr Tweak Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    I'd imagine that 150 degrees is outside of the measurable range of the sensor.

I don't know of any stock system (for Toyota anyway) that has the MAF after the turbo. The 3SGTE is a great example of a turbo engine, and Toyota chose to put the AFM before the turbo.

-Doc
  9. Offline

7MGTTEConcept MK3 #2? maybe..

Message Count:
    same as with the 7MGTE
  10. Offline

Message Count:
    Wow, so many opinions :) Now just to figure out which one makes the most sense hehe. Does anyone know of a good recirculating blow off valve and where is the best place to push the air back into the intake? Right before the turbine or before the MAF?
  11. Offline

LoSx New Member

Message Count:
    most BOV can reciculate they usually just need an adapter... a greddy bov is easy just a rubber hose off the front of it (type s that is)
    and you want the air to go before the turbine but AFTER the MAF if you go before the MAF then its remeasuring air that was dumped...

also you want it as close to the turbine as possible mostly because thats as far away from the maf as posible... if its too close to the maf it can cause the sensor to go whacky when you blow off by messing with the airflow too much!
  12. Offline

Message Count:
    Thanks LoSx, My current BOV isn't compatible with a recirculating setup but I'm going to find one that is and buy it. And I'll have it dump back into the intake pipe right before the turbine.
  13. Offline

pupo New Member

Message Count:

Here is a picture that I took a while back, this setup works great for me!

[IMG]
  14. Offline

Message Count:
    Wow, nice job hiding the turbo, where is it? Down under?

YES! IT IS DONE! We found a loose harness and fixed it and the charging problem is solved. I filled the tank up with Premium and took her for a test drive. The boost controller is acting up a little bit but that aside and some emanage tuning I hit 6 PSI of boost and broke the front tires loose at 40mph going up a hill. The acceleration is amazing. I'll post some video clips in the next few days. The sound is amazing too ;)
  15. Offline

asn13oy Stepping Stones

Message Count:
    Why the hell am I so excited about this?

...and on a side note...how's it going on turbokits.com side?
  16. Offline

Message Count:
    TurboKits.com has been awesome so far, they have not given me any compensation for the project yet but they claim once I send them the final photos and video they will promptly take care of me. I'll let you guys know once that has happened. I'm very excited to have my car back though. It runs really ruff and rich right now so I need to tune the crap out of it before its a real nice ride but the car is mobile and thats a big start.

Turbo is done! I put 40 miles on the car today and it pulls like a T-Rex. I'm very impressed with Turbo 1ZZ-FE. I've driven a turboed GTI before and it didn't feel nearly as alive as my car does now.

Video
    http://www.ridemods.com/portals/ridemods/videos/revvingturbo.avi

Pics
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  17. Offline

asn13oy Stepping Stones

Message Count:
    whoa...your car sounds like a windy day
  18. Offline

ghoztrider New Member

Message Count:
    wow can't wait to see some vids with it running the way its supposed to be and tuned
  19. Offline

Message Count:
    Yeah, the turbo spooling is the coolest noise ever :) Like when your driving down the road it sounds like a hurricane is starting under the hood and then the car takes off like a bat out of hell :D
  20. Offline

magnem44 The Magnificent

Message Count:
    Hinesville the greates place on the Earth, GA
    Man i give you mad props for installing the turbo with all the problems u ran into I dont know if i could have put up with it. I just bought a turbo and im so anxious to go home and put it on or get it installed. The only thing is that my car is auto and i want to convert it to 5 spd but i dont know how much thats gonna run me or if i can wait that long. Well hopefully soon my car will be boosted. Good luck with the tuning.
  21. Offline

sxlostv1 New Member

Message Count:
    u should go with apexi air filter. they're cheap, and best airflow/filtration ratio.
  22. Offline

Message Count:
    Thanks man, installing the TSI Extreme Turbo kit on an 01' Corolla was a nightmare but hopefully TSI will take the information I passed along to TurboKits and fix all the problems so we can all run around on 6 - 8 PSI for ~$2700
  23. Offline

plu Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    very nice. Is it just me or can everyone else not view the video on media player? something about failed to download codec.
  24. Offline

asn13oy Stepping Stones

Message Count:
    Have you tried to right-click and save? I only got sound when I clicked it, but it was fine after I downloaded it.
  25. Offline

vg30dett93 New Member

Message Count:
    Congratulations on a project well done. please make a list of all the 50's you stump on.
  26. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:

Wish you were local
  27. Offline

NothingFancy New Member

Message Count:
    congrats on the getting the turbo to work. i wanna know what kind hp and torque that turbo made. hopefully the fixed ver comes out soon
  28. Offline

Message Count:
    Once Jesse from TurboKits.com gets me some re-imbursement from TSI for the turbo kit I'll pay off my installer and then I'll re-coop a little bit from this Turbo Expense and hopefully next month take it down to http://www.dynoauthority.com/ and have it pulled and then tuned and pulled again so I can see what I'm making now and what I make after the tuning is done. I also want to do a recirculation BOV before I take it in to be tuned to solve all my MAF problems.

Do any of you guys experience back fires after you turbo? about 1 out of 3 times when I take my foot off the gas really quick I get a really loud pop out the back. What causes this and how should I try to fix it? Also my BOV was having some issue with making a really fluttery noise as it opens and closes when I let off the gas all the way really quick under 5+ psi of boost. If I take my foot off the pedel like 98% but keep some pressure on it the BOV releases nice and smooth and fast. But its when I take my foot all the way off the peddle I get the fluxuation in the BOV. I think tis because my throttle butterfly plate is moving around. Is there a spring or something I can adjust that will help hold that plate closed? I think the velocity of the air is playing with it a little bit so it opens a little and then the bov closes and then it pulls closes and the bov opens again like several times a millisecond. Pretty crazy stuff. I'm just speculating here too I'm not 100% sure whats going on. But I can say this. The Car pulls so freaking hard and smooth when I get on the gas and when I'm accelerating there are no problems and the boost is incredibly stable. Turbo is badass! I just hope my little 1zz can take the abuse :D

Hey guys, I was just wanted to let you all know that Jesse at TurboKits.com completely reimbursed me for my R & D work on the TSI Extreme Turbo kit and he has successfully made good on all of his promises. I would like to say that Turbokits.com has been one of the most reputible businesses I have ever dealt with online in any capacity and I would highly recommend them to anyone. With the dilligence that they have shown working with me on this project I have no doubt that they will pursuade TSI into making a Rev 2.0 version of the kit for the 98 - 02 Corolla that has good fitment and good performance so we'll keep an eye out. I'm glad the project is done and I will continue to post more pictures, video and questions and keep this thread alive. Thank you for all your support, this forum is awesome and in my eyes the best one of its kind on the internet, thanks CorollasBest. Now I'm about a month away from Dyno tuning the car so we can all look forward to that so we can determine what kind of gains are on the horizon. Also sometime next year if my poor little engine makes it that long I'm going to take the car in to have the engine rebuilt to 300+hp capacity so I can push this GT25R to its limits. I think I can get the rebuild done for around 4g's from what I have been hearing and the engine should hold 300hp without problems. The only question now is where to get better axels and a rebuild for the transmission that can handle 300hp :D
  29. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    yeah thats fuel load up --- hehe you're fine... just need to do some fine tuning to reduce that backfire... its a fuel thing :)
  30. Offline

Message Count:
    Hahaha yeah, I think I also have an exhaust leak which is helping the problem along, I need to pick up a new exhaust donut gasket for the up pipe to down pipe and I need to find that really strange ass gasket that goes between the down pipe and the full exhaust system. Its like a slinky looking thing with paper between the metal rings, Bizzare.