1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Forced Induction Turbo Install Begins Now!

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by Barnacules, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    it's "supposed" to be a lifetime part on a lot of vehicles, but it seems they end up going bad a lot sooner than the manufacturer intends. ;)
  2. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    hehe just like motors! :) *cough*
  3. Offline

asn13oy Stepping Stones

Message Count:
    So...back on topic....how's the install going?
  4. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    :shutup: heh
  5. Offline

Barnacules 100101101011011

Message Count:
    This install is on hold until I can find the legitimate ECU pinout on my 2001 Corolla's ECU for the my 4 ignition coils so I can tie them into the eManage. This should happen tonight and we'll resume the install tomorrow. We're done in the engine bay so its all computer stuff and fuel pump from here on out. And when we take it for a drive if we have clearance issues with the turbine being 1" away from hoses comming out of the firewall I might have to put a torque strap on my engine to hold her from scooting back. But I'm hoping that won't be the case.
  6. Offline

statik New Member

Message Count:
    Have you ever seen those gas filled cylindar shock absorbers used to manage torque? I wonder how that would work out....
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    Yeah I have seen those things, they are called torque dampeners but I'm not sure how well they work if at all? I know that they use torque straps on race cars and stuff. Basically its like a nylon toe strap you anchor to the frame and then to a bracket on the engine and then put some tention on it to reduce how much the motor can move. But yeah that shock thing might work.

Question, when I hook up the boost controller (Apexi SAVC-R) should I tap the injector signal wire after the emanage or before the emanage? Which signal is more relevent to the SAVC-R? I mean after seems like the logical choice since those represent the actual real signals that are being modified but I just want to be sure.
  8. Offline

vg30dett93 New Member

Message Count:
    I just toned in and just wanna say damn your brave for tearin & modin ur car to make somethin thats suppose to fit, fit. I got mad respect for you. I'm planning to go s/c on my 05' S, but after reading this forum and thinkin bout how sick ur rides gonna be im just might turbo it. Buts thats gonna be after my first deployment. Barn what other mods do u have? im really interested...not to bite just get ideas.
  9. Offline

magnem44 The Magnificent

Message Count:
    Hinesville the greates place on the Earth, GA
    when are u supposed to deploy? and where to? im in iraq right now. my car is in orange park at my sisters house. im going there in about 2 or 3 weeks. I just bought me a turbo and am gonna put in on hopefully when i get back.
  10. Offline

Message Count:
    Okay, the turbo is installed and the eManage is installed and updated with the latest firmware and software. I loaded your maps Vortex and the car just runs super duper rich and dies. But when I run with a zero'd map the car runs smooth and if I hit boost it still runs smooth until I let off the gas then it just drops down and sputters and dies. Any ideas?
  11. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    MAF sensored = fun :p
  12. Offline

Message Count:
    MAf sensor = need workaround :D I need help, we're so close to having this thing on the move.
  13. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    If you never found this you can grab the vehicle wiring diagram out of the donors section..might be useful:D
  14. Offline

vg30dett93 New Member

Message Count:
    They just came back so I got 18 months. we deploy everywhere.
  15. Offline

jtweezy New Member

Message Count:

I had the same problems...so I just didn't use the maps...
  16. Offline

Message Count:
    So you used vortex's stuff and just disabled the maps? Because if I just run the eManage blank then I have the problem with the engine dying comming off boost.
  17. Offline

Message Count:
    Was it you that brought the emanage ultimate? I could've swore the new one has a feature that elimates the MAF sensor.

BTW are you running a recirculating bypass valve?
  18. Offline

Dr Tweak Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    Where is the MAF installed? Show a pic please.
  19. Offline

Message Count:
    I'm not running a recirculated blow off valve and I'm told I should for a MAF setup. I didn't actually get the ultimate so I might not have that feature you speak of. I'll post a picture later but my new intake puts the MAF pretty close to the turbine and the car runs great at idle and after light acceleration but as soon as I produce boost and blow off then the car runs like ass and eventually dies. I'm almost positive it is because the MAF is registering air so the engine is putting in fuel and the BOV already blew it all off :) So the mixture is all screwed up. I'm wondering why it does not recover though.
  20. Offline

Dr Tweak Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    No doubt that's one problem, fix it and see what happens.

-Doc
  21. Offline

Message Count:
    If I can fix it without the recirulation BOV I would like to do that because it sounds so damn kick ass :) My car sounds like a rally car right now.
  22. Offline

Dr Tweak Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    You MUST recirc it on the '00 and newer Corolla with the MAF.

You will still be able to hear it, just not as loud.

-Doc
  23. Offline

Message Count:
    How many lbs are you currently running? If under 5 I believe you can get away with a blockoff and not having a bov at all (for strictly testing purposes ocourse).. well actually speaking of rally cars, I believe most rally car run with either no or a delay response bov. This keeps about 4psi in the charge pipes between shifts thereby increasing throttle response and reducing turbo lag.. but then again they have ball bearing turbos and probably replace their cars after every race so compressure surge and thrust bearing failure dont really scare them. But yeah, recirc bypass is a must for maf sensored fuel systems.

This bring me to the question, how much airflow can the OEM 1zz maf sensor take? I know on engines like the nissan SR20 after a certain point you'd have to upgrade the sensor to either a aftermarket unit or one from a z33. I' sure the oem sensor can read some boost since the TRD SC seems to work on the 03+.

So back to the emanage ultimate, a lot of WRX and 240 owners I know have been excited about this feature that totally converts a MAF based fuel management ecu into a MAP based one with a full customization of airflow sensor output and AIT emulation. No word on how well it works yet but it sounds pretty spiffy.
  24. Offline

LoSx New Member

Message Count:
    you dont have to recirculate if you do blowby instead of draw through though...

I mean blowby seems like it has more and more benifits every time I look at it... I may change my setup from draw through to blowby soon and if it works out well Ill let you know!

(P.S. Draw through means the maf is before the turbo compressor...

blowby means the afte rthe turbo and just before the throttle body with the BOV closer to the turbo then the throttle body)
  25. Offline

Message Count:
    LoSx, so are you not having this problem where the car ties to die when comming off boost?
  26. Offline

Message Count:
    Okay so I figured out how to tune the anti stall feature to keep my car from dying when comming off boost. Now we just have to install the fuel pump and build a map that runs slightly rich so I can get my car to a dyno. If anyone has any maps please let me know I would like to try them. They need to be maps built for a 2001+ corolla with a MAF setup. Thanks.
  27. Offline

Dr Tweak Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    The trouble is the temperature, it may be out of range of what the stock sensor can handle...

-Doc
  28. Offline

LoSx New Member

Message Count:
    after it hits the intercooler it should be fine... and at least itll be maxed.... with it before turbo you may have a temp thats off by a lot causing timing to screw up... so for temp reason you deinfately want it next to the throttle body... also they max high ive had 150+ temps in the summer pre turbo...
  29. Offline

Message Count:
    If the bov spring is too tight it won't vent and it will fix the problem but rape your turbo in the end.
  30. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Look into the 50/50 valves from Turbosmart...designed for cars with a recirculating system