1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Forced Induction Turbo 1ZZ-FE, is it really worth it?

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by Barnacules, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    hehe all the braggin I do is just my little tag that says ' Boosted '.

Derrick's car is in progress. It should be turbo'd anytime now. Last I spoke with him a couple weeks ago he was just in the final planning stages and had everything he needed (i think).
  2. Offline

Barnacules 100101101011011

Message Count:
    I think I had my fill of the Turbo Corolla :D My experience has left me semi jaded. I'm going to get a new motor put in the car but I am going to run it N/A until I can find a good deal on a MR2 or Supra. Don't get me wrong, the Corolla is a bad *** car and with turbo its amazing to drive but I want something with more potential. Don't worry I'm going to stay in the toyota family but since I never use the back seat in my car I'm thinking of going for a 91 - 93 MR2 or 03 - 06 Supra. Those cars have some pretty amazing potential and they are Rear Wheel Drive wish is something I have really wanted for a long time.
  3. Offline

JLee TD05 3SGTE

Message Count:
    You're not going to find a 2003-06 Supra..anywhere..

I assume you meant 93-96? :p
  4. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    :tear:
    so sad, hoping it would be snail equipped
  5. Offline

Message Count:
    Yeah I meant 93-96 :D Boy if there was a 2003 - 06 Supra it would be far outside of my price range :D

I know.. I know.. It sucks I didn't get to give you a ride in it first so you could experience the rush first hand. The ammount of increase in acceleration should have been an indicator that I was pushing too much boost for stock :D. Well I'm not going to be getting an engine for another two weeks so I have some time to sleep on it and decide if I want to keep it turboed and get it runed at the dyno authority in Redmond, WA for $800+ dollars. Or if I want to sell the car and turbo and get the MR2 or Supra. I went for a ride in a 300hp MR2 MKii at work a week ago and it was insane! So for the price those cars are awesome but they have zero storage for anything. I would be lucky to pack some stuff to a lan party in it :) So the Supra might be the better choice if I can find the right deal. I know a guy that has one with a salvage title that he completely rebuilt and is selling for $16k. Its the 1998 TT. The thing looks dead straight and he said I could take it for a test drive. But we'll have to see where it goes from there.
  6. Offline

Ro2la New Member

Message Count:
    **** man, i'm sorry to hear this after all the trouble you went through. I also hate to bring this up right now, but if you decide to part stuff out of your car, i would love to buy your monitor off of you. good luck with whatever you decide
  7. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:

oh c`mon jerry, it was just a motor... sheesh.
  8. Offline

Message Count:
    A motor is a pretty big deal to me :D But its okay I still haven't completely made up my mind. If I can find the right deal on a complete 1zz-fe ready to drop in then I'll probably take another stab at it with 6psi boost max. But if the right MR2 or Supra comes along for 10 - 20k respectivly I'll probably end up selling the Corolla.

Hahaha no problem, I'll let you know what I decide in a month or two and if I decide to part out I'll certainly contact you about the custom fiberglassed display.
  9. Offline

turbokits.com New Member

Message Count:
    Hey Polo,
    Like I have said before, this is not OUR product. The kit is made by TSI. When we heard there were issues, we hooked up with Jerry to have him test the kit. His findings were less than positive and we immediately stopped selling the product.

Please do not confuse the poor R & D of TSI with the Turbo Kits.com name as we have always stood buy our customers with 100% customer service and support. As you can see, once we found out the TSI kit for the corolla wasn't all it was cracked up to be, we stopped selling it. We are not in business to rip people off!

Just ask Barnecules...

10. Offline

Message Count:
    I agree. They did everything in there power to help me with the kit and in the end I had a fantastic kit put togather (custom piping, etc). The fact that my motor blew had nothing to do with the kit or turbokits.com. It had everything to do with the tuning, or some other problem with the engine. Even after my bad overall experience with the Turbo I would go to Turbokits.com again in a second if I was going to turbo another car. And they did stop selling the kit the second that I confirmed the fitment was wrong but they still held my hand though the end even though they don't even sell the kit anymore. I would defiantly do business with them again, I just need to find a new car first :D I found a lady selling a 1992 BMW 850i with a v12. I'm not too hopeful the deal will go though but I'm going to check it out anyways. I'm still thinking there is a posibility I will keep the Corolla and try to pick up the peaces but its kind of a race between me finding my dream car for the right price or getting a new 1ZZ with low miles installed. Whichever comes first :D
  11. Offline

James Bullshit Police

Message Count:
    ZZE110, MA70, JZA70, AE92 GT-S x2, xB with a rollcage, 900 ft-lb Dodge Ram
    Do you ever think that the motor failure was due to vvt-i? Does your greddy emanage control timing at all or was vvt-i's timing mechanisms left stock? I thought that ideally timing should be retarded in conditions prone to detonation (booost). You said that you'd been flooring it and were in excess of 4800 rpm in fourth gear. In this type of situation vvt-i would originally be advancing timing by up to 36 degrees. Would this seriously contribute to the engine blowing?
  12. Offline

Message Count:
    Good point james, I never really gave that any thought. Come to think of it Vortex doesn't have VVT-i and he doesn't have problems. Maybe your on to something here. I didn't have anything controlling the VVT-i mechanism, it was left bone stock because the eManage only controls VTEC. I'll have to look into this, maybe the next motor I get for my car should be a non VVT-i head.

Wow, James looks like other people are talking about the VVT-i turbo problem in other forums. Thanks for the great eye opening post.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-26479.html
  13. Offline

James Bullshit Police

Message Count:
    the emanage ultimate seems to be able to control vvti's timing. i know you're not supposed to have two piggybacks in parallel, but diagramming the ecu loops could help you install a camcon to control vvti while using the emanage blue for fuel.
  14. Offline

turbokits.com New Member

Message Count:
    Thanks buddy, I appreciate your support...

Jesse

15. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    If all of the parameters are being passed correctly, I don't think you'd have a problem. LoSX is running vvt-i on his I believe with no problems (just as my non-vvt-i). Lo?
  16. Offline

plu Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    that post was made in 01. You need to email that dude and ask him how he resolved it and whatnot.
  17. Offline

Bulletproofswordsman JDM Oroku-Saki

Message Count:
    six pages later....

has the question been answered? is it really worth it?

wats the general thoughts on this
  18. Offline

Dr Tweak Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    Sorry bud, I don't think there's any possible way that the VVTi caused your engine to blow. If your a/f and timing are right, the VVTi should make no difference at all, from what I can see.

Unless you have said otherwise and I just missed it, you never tuned the car with a wideband (so really, you have no idea what a/f you were running except that it was richer than 14.7:1), and what about timing, did you have it retarded under boost?

-Doc
  19. Offline

James Bullshit Police

Message Count:
    well, he has no way to control timing with only an emanage blue from what i've heard. and if you smoothly engage the accelerator vvti will advance timing by 20 or 30 degrees. if he's in 4800 rpm in fourth gear i'm sure he's flooring it and i'm pretty sure his gt25r is fully spooled and timing is increased by probably 36 degrees (is his motor under high load at this time? I know the rpms are high enough but how much harder is the engine working to give good power in fourth gear?) and that sounds pretty bad to me.
  20. Offline

Message Count:
    Does VVT-i effect engine timing? if so then it could quite possibly screw with the eManage blue's capabilities of controling the ignition timing. I think James might be on to something. Also to answer the original forum question on weather or not it is worth it, the truth is if I did not blow my motor it would have been 100% worth it. However, I went for a ride in a MK2 MR2 with 350hp on stock internals and it was the fastest car I have ever been in, faster acceleration then a Dodge Viper and a 360 Modena Ferarri. So I think I'm pretty close to making a decision on what car I want :D
  21. Offline

Dr Tweak Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    You guys are mixing up ignition timing and cam timing, they're two different things. VVTi only effect the way the cams work, it doesn't do anything to the ignition timing.

-Doc
  22. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    DT is correct...

Ignition timing is controlled by the ECU that takes information from the crankshaft position, the camshaft position and various other sensors (like the MAF).

The eManage has *ZERO* problems controlling the ignition timing as that is a standard feature that it does on both vvt-i and non-vvt-i modeled engines.

Also, if the ignition timing *WERE* to change based on when the valve timing was advanced it would either:

a) retard the timing due to higher amounts of air
    b) if it did advance timing for some performance reasons, it could be counteracted with the eManage since this would be an ECU based decision.

Either way, if you tune one of these motors correctly, no ignition or fuel conditions will cause detonation unless something catastrophic occurs.
  23. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Did you check your tire pressure before leaving your house that day??? I think it was a problem with the tire pressure
  24. Offline

jtweezy New Member

Message Count:
  25. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    thanks, now i have to clean soda off my screen and keyboard. :)
  26. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Hehe....I dont really have much else to contribute to this thread really, cuz Im not that educated on the internals of toyota engines.....so I figured some humor would be a nice contribution, lol
  27. Offline

James Bullshit Police

Message Count:
    zomg im pretty noob, sorry about that :meh:. I was under the impression that cam timing needed to be retarded also, but that's clearly an unrelated issue.
  28. Offline

Message Count:
    That makes sense, thanks Tweak. Now I'm hunting around for a new engine for my car. What year Corolla should I nab the engine from? Because if I'm not mistaken anything from a 98 - 03 will just drop right in? Did they make any major improvements in the newest engines or are the older engines better for boost? I'm just throwing some questions out there because I'm pretty sure I'll have my choice of engines.
  29. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    The bottom end from 98-03 are *ALL* the same. The heads are different (naturally) between 98-99 and 00-03. If you want something stronger, you need to build up a bottom end. (still got that one if you want it, hehe)
  30. Offline

Message Count:
    I would buy that bottom end off you but I don't even know if my top end is good yet. I really need to find some time to tear her down. I wish I had a larger garage then I do also :D Once I know the head is in good shape I might take you up on the bottom end. I'm in no hurry because I've got wheels for the time being.