1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Forced Induction Turbo 1ZZ-FE, is it really worth it?

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by Barnacules, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Offline

Barnacules 100101101011011

Message Count:
    The Turbo Install is finished and all that is left to do is the fuel pump and tune the eManage. The maps I received from Vortex were not compatible with my MAF setup and I think my stock ECU auto configured it self for the 550 injectors. Bizzare. I figured out how to use the Anti-Stall feature to keep my car from dying comming off boost but now I just need to build a map that is rich enough to safely get me to the dynos after a few days of driving it. If anyone has any maps that might be more compatible with the 2001 Corolla please post them up. Also I noticed that my dash tach stopped working after I tapped the RPM wire with my eManage and ACVR? Has anyone seen this happen. Both units read the RPM's perfect but my dash tach just doesn't work anymore.
  2. Offline

turbokits.com New Member

Message Count:
    Sooo close... eagerly waiting the final results :)

Happy Holidays All!

Jesse @ www.Turbo-Kits.com

3. Offline

igorien2k New Member

Message Count:
    you'd be better off buying a wideband and a gauge and then tune it as you drive. you can get one for around $300, and that way if you were to ever change a component you could tune it to work with your new part without having to pay for extra dyno time
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    Do you know of any place that sells a wideband O2 sensor that is direct placement for stock? I don't want ot have to have 3 oxygen sensors in my exhaust system so if they make a wideband that has some kind of box that converts the signal to something compatible with my ECU I would probably go that route.
  5. Offline

Dr Tweak Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    I know that the Innovate LM1, which is what I use, has an output to emulate a stock 02 sensor, so that you can remove yours and then use the wideband in there.

Most of the good ones probably have the same thing...

-Doc
  6. Offline

Message Count:
    Sweet, where can I buy one and how much? Also is it true that the wide band O2 sensors have a really low life so if you just run them in your car while daily driving they will die in like a year?
  7. Offline

Dr Tweak Mad Scientist

Message Count:
  8. Offline

sonsofwisdom I can fix it

Message Count:
    Please PLEASE post some numbers from a dyno when your done

props on the work!
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    I wont be hitting the dyno rack for a month or so because they require me to weld in an o2 bung on my exhaust down pipe for a wideband O2 which kind of sucks since I have to take it apart again. But I will get around to it. In the mean time I'm going to street tune it and play with it and try to work some aditional problems out of it before I dyno to ensure nothing breaks on the rack.
  10. Offline

Message Count:
    WE DID IT! Finally, after massive fabrication and this huge undertaking the car is complete. we figured out the charging problem and test drove it tonight. I hit 6 PSI and the car was pulling like a bull dog, it even broke the tires loose in 3rd gear at around 4k RPM. Very very impressive. Its very ruff and running an ultra rich map but as I make adjustments I'm sure its going to get better. I also need to tweak my boost controller because its not doing its job, it makes a noise like its trying to open the sylenoid but the waste gate is not opening so I need to investigate. But that aside the car does move forward at a high rate of speed :) So first goal is accompleshed! I'll post some videos and pictures in the next few days.

Okay, I took the car for a faily long test drive today and other then running rich as hell (.90+) on the O2 sensor. The car was doing awesome. Except when I let off the gas really fast it sounded like a rally car blowing flames out at the back, but thats kinda cool too (unless a cop is behind me). The few problems I have found so far is that the anti stall feature on the eManage works badass and made driving with an open air BOV possible. But I'm having a problem when I get up to 6 - 8 psi and let off the gas I get a flutter noise from the BOV. it purges the pressure but it sounds like its fluttering instead of the controled realease it makes when I only rev to like 3 psi without the car in motion. Has anyone experieneced this before? I also noticed that my boost controller sylenoid sounds like a machine gun when I'm building boost :) Has nayone else ever heard this noise before? Everything seems to be working fine but its just wierd noises here and there :) I'll post up some pics today.

I finished up the rest of the documentation and sent it off to Jesse at Turbokits.com today. So now we just sit back and wait to see if TSI actually takes my information and fixes there kit so we can all have a bolt on and go. Having turbo is insane, it makes the car accelerate like crazy. Also I have the VVT-i head and I think I can finally put the question to rest weather or not it helps the turbo, I'm going with YES! When I hit 3000rpm at a constant boost level of 6psi the car just lurches forward and pulls that much harder. This project was insane and took a massive ammount of money and resources but in the end it works and I'm very happy. I just hope that I can re-coop some of my money from TSI for all my trouble. Here are some pics and a video.

Video
    http://www.ridemods.com/portals/ridemods/videos/revvingturbo.avi

Pics
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  11. Offline

turbokits.com New Member

Message Count:
    Hey Barnacules,

I received your e-mail and info. Thanks, hopefully TSI will see the hard work and effort you put into this. You basically did all of the R & D for them. I have already been in preliminary talks and they have no doubt that they will send all of the info to the fabricator so he can make the appropriate changes. The info you sent is 100% top quality. I wish all customers that had an issue layed it out with pics, etc like you did. It's make it much easier to diagnose and fix!

Anyway, stay tuned. I will hopefully have some good news for you soon.

Thanks again!

12. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    You get a lot of customers with issues?
  13. Offline

James Bullshit Police

Message Count:
    ZZE110, MA70, JZA70, AE92 GT-S x2, xB with a rollcage, 900 ft-lb Dodge Ram
    you might even consider having tsi pay for your tune, in exchange for properly calibrated emanage maps. i think that would probably be the selling point for me in terms of getting this kit after things are figured out. also, i like your sneaky intercooler pipes. good work!
  14. Offline

Message Count:
    Yeah so far the IC pipe layout has presented 0 problems. So I'm really happy with the new layout. As for them paying for the tune that is a good idea but right now I need cash to pay my installer because he really needs his money and I'm in the hole pretty big time on this project.
  15. Offline

James Bullshit Police

Message Count:
    man, i totally hear you. you might consider pm'ing losx fo rhis maps, he's got a turbo'd 02.
  16. Offline

Message Count:
    Hey Losx, could you send me your maps so I could give them a try on my 01?

LoSx's private messages are full :) So this will have to do :D I hope he see's the request.
  17. Offline

James Bullshit Police

Message Count:
    i think he has a bigger turbo than you, as well as a 255 l/h fuel pump. do you have any fuel upgrades besides the injectors, barnacules? if not you might be maxing out the stock fuel pump. either way, i think the map would be a little bit off due to him have a t3 super 60 and you having a gt25. it will probably lean out your car in lower rpms and spew way too much fuel in high rpms.
  18. Offline

LoSx New Member

Message Count:
    my pm box is full... hmm that explains a lot actually...Ok I have read this and Ill send ya my maps with caution... I dont have my laptop pn me but ill have it over to ya by tommorrow night... I suggest being careful because I didnt have an upgraded fuel pump so my high end will flood your engine if you do have one... ill compensate and change it... the other problem is my tuner (altho he did a decent job) tuned off the air flow map rather then the injector map so its not optimal but it may help ya while ya wait to get to a tuner....

timing is screwy as well... I dont know ill provide it but I wont have a finalized map for a bit....a month or two is prob when I go back to they dyno with a 255 fuel pump and good tuning!
  19. Offline

Message Count:
    Thanks Man, I have the Walbro 250lph Fuel Pump and Power Enterprise injectors so if I max out my fuel system it will be because I have 600 HP :D Also my turbo is smaller but it packs a punch since its the GT turbo. But I don't think the map is going to change based on turbos since PSI is PSI and it adjusts the misture and timing based on that. Thanks man.

I spend all day trying to peice my interrior back togather and I'm still not done, I got the CarPC reinstalled so now I can tune the eManage without needing a laptop in the car which is very nice. I also got my sattelite radio working though the CarPC so I can control all the volumes from the touch screen. Here is a picture just took a few minutes ago. The car is dirty as hell but this night shot doesn't show it :D I took the picture without a flash. I'll get some better pictures once I'm completely done and clean up the inside. However I found that after tearing my interrior apart like 75 times I don't think there is a single surface in my car that is not scratched to hell, I even have some pretty good chunks torn out of some of the peaces from jabbing with a screw driver and stuff. I think this summer I'm going to remove every peace out of the car and sand it down and shoot it with some plasticoat or something.

[IMG]

Here is a night shot of the front of the car so you guys can see the intercooler with the bumper on. So far the cops have left me alone and I have passed about 2 dozen of them so far.

[IMG]
  20. Offline

turbokits.com New Member

Message Count:
    We had not heard of any of these problems until we saw a few threads on the message boards about it. So we hooked up Barnacules and had him test the kit.

We are going to to TSI to alert them to the problems with their design and they will hopefully have a version 2 of the kit out soon.

I would like to thank everyone for their time and support.

Stay Tuned for V2!

21. Offline

turbokits.com New Member

Message Count:
    Update 02-06-06

Just wanted to let everyone know we have not forgotten about this and are working with TSI to make sure that Version 2 of the kit will be butter!

jesse@turbo-kits.com
    860-676-2929
  22. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    thanks for the update
  23. Offline

oppositesleeper New Member

Message Count:
    that sounds very nice indeed!
  24. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    So, what is the status of the turbo kit for the 93-97 Corollas?
  25. Offline

polo708 New Member

Message Count:
    wow, nice to see turbo-kits.com keeping up their horrible reputation. one blown motor after another... yet they always seem to be working on a newer version. I have yet to see one positive outcome from a turbo-kits.com product.

My buddy bought a kit from them about 6 months ago (for his 9th gen) and it was just cheap, period. The fuel controller looked like a $5 toy and the piping still didnt fit right. We had to modify it to make it work and in the end it was a pain in the ***. I dont care how many versions you make... I'd never recommend one of your kits to anyone EVER.
  26. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Now Now Polo... Don't go assuming it was the kit's problem on Jerry's car. Just because we're suspecting a lean condition doesnt mean it was the fuel system that came with the kit. He was running the same fuel setup I am, there was more than likely tuning descrepencies that should have been ironed out in a controlled environment rather than observed explosions. :) Quite honestly I think a lot of it had to do with the motor prior to the installation in combination with a lean condition causing detonation which threw the whole balance out and caused the car to throw a rod.

Now, if we want to argue fitment... hehe yeah have a day, i'll even bash on that one --- but, to the best of my knowledge, this is being worked on.
  27. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    How about the fact that the car was never tuned afterwards.....
  28. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    well i was kinda alluding to that fact. :)
  29. Offline

polo708 New Member

Message Count:
    But I have never seen a kit where the customer was satisfied. Like I said, I help a buddy of mine install his TSI kit and it was pure crap. turbo-kits.com continues to sell kits below standard and then after every blown motor they say, "well, we're working on a newer version to blow your motor". People need to just stop buying these kit.

I've had my FI system in for 2 years and not a single problem.
  30. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:

Probably cuz you did it right the first time without cutting corners. You dont really hear much from those that had successful installs, because they dont feel the need to brag about it and post up their Bentley kills......a few like this come to mind from the other vvti board.
    A few Maryland members have successful installs......hazer, losx, (is vamps up and running?? I can guarantee his will be successful cuz he'll do it right)), and theres another member with a 03 turboed rolla (his member name has slipped my mind)...but theyre humble, so ya dont see much braggin from them.