1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Forced Induction Turbo 1ZZ-FE, is it really worth it?

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by Barnacules, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Offline

Barnacules 100101101011011

Message Count:
    It looks really clean, what is the total distance from your turbo to your intake (total length of the IC piping)?

Also how did you do your piping? It looks TIG welded and really good welds at that :)

Oh yeah, what is the most loud obnoxious BOV in existance? I figured since my AlphaWerks exhaust is loud enough to knock down buildings a half mile away I should probably do a BOV that complements it ;)
  2. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
  3. Offline

LoSx New Member

Message Count:
    I thought the RFL (really fucking loud) one was the loudest... id go more for function though and they all function well...

According to corky bell and his turbo book he has all the calculations on what causes pressure drops... however these drops are minimal and again unless your aiming to run 26 psi or something they arent that important since if you lose .5 psi you can just up it a little bit
  4. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    hehe, my Type-S is friggin loud. I call it a rabid parakeet. :)

It's aircraft grade stainless and yes, it's TIG welded. I'm not sure what the total distance is, been forever since I measured. I have a .2 psi pressure drop. (didn't have one until recently, need to find out wtf is goin on but i've been too busy)
  5. Offline

turbokits.com New Member

Message Count:
    Hey,

You guys are great. I was ready for a wild wild west type of shoot out and instead you all see the big picture. Help with the R & D, help make a better kit and we all benefit!

Pressure drop is easy to figure out, just t in a boost gauge at the compressor and one at the intake manifold and check the different. .5 - 1 is normal through a FMIC & piping system.

In regards to the spool. The T25 spool so fast you won't notice it at all!

Stay tuned we should have some real time feedback after SEMA :)

Jesse @ Turbo Kits.com

6. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    To have someone actually show interest and have momentum on creating an actual functioning product with the input of this community demands respect. No wild west shootouts here... just random pop-shots from drunks in the saloon. LOL
  7. Offline

7MGTTEConcept MK3 #2? maybe..

Message Count:
    how about wheh the 1zz is all said and done with we start designing a turbo system for the 2zz corolla's..?

no 2zz love anywhere... :(
  8. Offline

Dr Tweak Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    Pretty interesting stuff. I'll be watching closely as this develops.

-Doc
  9. Offline

turbokits.com New Member

Message Count:
    1 thing at a time :) Bring this back up once the 1ZZ kit is done and we can work on it then!

If I happen to dissapear this week. I am going to be away at the SEMA show. I will be back on the scene first thing Mon morn the 7th.

Jesse @ Turbo Kits.com

10. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    hehe poor Mike is missin turbo love...

at least if they dev a kit mike, you're local - we can bust it out and test in my garage. :)
  11. Offline

turbokits.com New Member

Message Count:
    Update! 11-08-05

Here are a few comments from the test mule:::

"Oh, I also wanted to let you guys know that when I unboxed the turbo everything was absolutely beautiful. Also the manifold and turbo look absolutely awesome and very high quality casting so I have no complaints there, TSI makes a great manifold... J-"

He is laying everything out and will send me some pics which I will post right away. He is currently waiting for some other parts (his choice) and the install should happen in 1-2 weeks.

I will of course keep you all updated :)

Jesse @ Turbo Kits.com
  12. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    yeah he's draggin his feet --- ROFL

I confirm, all parts from turbokits.com has no complaints from "test mule" --- however he keeps bitchin about other stuff ... hehe jk with ya
  13. Offline

turbokits.com New Member

Message Count:
    Update 11-15-05

Hello All,

I received some pics from the test mule. They are huge, like 100megs worth... I will trim them down and post them up hopefully by the end of this week...

Stay Tuned!

Jesse @ Turbo Kits.com
  14. Offline

Message Count:
    Pssssssst.... Comming soon to a Corolla near you!
  15. Offline

turbokits.com New Member

Message Count:
  16. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    Now that is a NICE kit!

I like how everything is clearly marked, individually bagged, with clean and sharp looking components to boot. Almost looks like an OEM kit (exhaust log). Can't wait to see what it looks like installed on the car and nunmbers it can put up.
  17. Offline

Bulletproofswordsman JDM Oroku-Saki

Message Count:
    let see how the fitment is
  18. Offline

LoSx New Member

Message Count:
    dang i was hoping to see it in the car.. LoL got my hopes up
  19. Offline

Message Count:
    You'll see it in the car after the first weekend of december.
  20. Offline

Phozenstone New Member

Message Count:
    sorry i havent been followin this thread but wut years is that kit supposed to fit?
  21. Offline

turbokits.com New Member

Message Count:
    The instructions say 01-05...

Barnacules is the test mule. He will report back to the community on the fitment of the kit and issues that come up if any. This way we will know what needs to be done to get the kit to fit / work.

This will also clear the kit for his model / engine and all of the years that are the same.

Jesse

22. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    The kit will also fit 98-00 if it fits the 01-02

i've got reservations about the fitment on 03+ however since the engine bay is a little different in allocation. 98-02 are EXACTLY the same since the chassis design is used in all those models.
  23. Offline

Message Count:
    First weekend of december is the official install date unless some act of god stops it. So I'll have tons of pics, video, etc shortly after. I'm hoping that I can prove this kit is great for our cars so more Corolla's can boost up without having to build it from scratch.
  24. Offline

Phozenstone New Member

Message Count:
    barnacules, may i ask wut year corolla u have?

also how much will these kits be goin for?
  25. Offline

Message Count:
    I have a 2001 Toyota Corolla S with 1ZZ-FE and the kit is $2799 w/ T25 Turbo and pre-configured fuel option, and $150 more if you want to go with the Greddy eManage and GReddy Turbo Timer.
  26. Offline

Phozenstone New Member

Message Count:
    oh ok good thing, cuz i have a 2001 too, so if all the piping fits ur engine bay it will fit mine..im still contemplating though if i should do it or not i thought i was done wit my car when i bought a bike but shit keeps tempting me lol But i think if everything is PERFECT fit and is just a mere bolt on kit then i might give it a shot.
  27. Offline

Message Count:
    Phrozenstone, we'll know soon if its just a bolt on or not. I'm pretty sure its going to fit though after looking over all the parts and looking at the manual but we'll know for sure the first weekend of december.
  28. Offline

James Bullshit Police

Message Count:
    ZZE110, MA70, JZA70, AE92 GT-S x2, xB with a rollcage, 900 ft-lb Dodge Ram
    that manual has the kit being installed on a 2003+ Corolla though, hopefully it will still work with the 98-02 engine bay & layout, exhaust, and intercooler mounting height.

unless i'm totally missing the manual of a kit being installed on a 98-02...

since headers are not interchangeable between these two cars i'm a little bit worried about clearance issues between the turbo/firewall and the downpipe connectivity.

the similarities on the front end of the car may be forgiving enough to allow the intercooler piping to remain unchanged though.

I also did not see an explanation of what the "black box" and S-AFC do. I assume that the AFC adjusts fuel maps to provide extra fuel with the two injectors (up to the limit of the fuel pump perhaps?) does the black box control the timing by manipulating vvti? I guess the emanage option means you have to get your own higher flow rate injectors and program fuel curves. does the emanage also control vvti to retard the timing?

good luck barnacules, i'm very interested in the outcome of this. (vortex or doc: i'd also buy your kit in a heartbeat!!)

also what are these?

[IMG]
  29. Offline

Message Count:
    Those are the heat wrap shields for the turbo. Since it sits so close to the firewall and hood you wrap them badboys around it and clamp them down. Its like a wiremesh with aspestose filling hehe :) Maybe something less harmful anyways.
  30. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Jer,

Got your message last night... you should just call me. I'm in Georgia right now and can't just hop on the internet on call. :)