1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine TRD SUPERCHARGER X100

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by Irvin, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Offline

Irvin Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    2002 Corolla S / Lexus LF-A / 1991 MR2 V6 / Pokeball
    There's a second hole to the right of the original knock sensor. I'm going to install Another 1 wire knock sensor and compare the signal outputs between the original and second location sensor to see the differences of signal. If they are close enough. I'll install the new type 2 wire knock sensor in the second hole since it's more sensitive and will pickup knock better than the 1 wire. I will try running the second knock sensor directly to the TRD ecu and the 1 wire will continue to go to the original ecu unmodified. I'm going to try borrowing my friend's oscilloscope to test these signals. The Second hole is actually the same diameter and depth as the original. Here's an image of what i'm talking about.

[IMG]
    Added: Aug 9, 2012 7:41 AM
    I also just ordered a wideband O2 sensor and will be monitoring the A/F ratio before and after. Closed loop and Open loop.
  2. Offline

James Bullshit Police

Message Count:
    ZZE110, MA70, JZA70, AE92 GT-S x2, xB with a rollcage, 900 ft-lb Dodge Ram
    That's exactly what I was thinking. In the zze130, is the TRD ecu only listening to the knock sensor to provide fuel/timing/vvt-i changes (I think this is the case)?

If so then what you're doing should work out. I can see problems happening if the the TRD ECU clamps (or whatever) the KS signal to the 1ZZ ECU from performing knock corrections. At least in my 7M, the stock Toyota timing table is ridiculously aggressive, but when you compare the table to actual ignition timing and knock sensor outputs you can tell that the ECU relies on accurate (fast) KS readings to pull timing.

Why is the second location is more sensitive? Are you going to be doing your location comparison tests with the engine running in the car? Which wideband did you pick up and how are you planning to log/monitor it? Are you gonna have the oscope riding shotgun as you load up the engine differently? :D

James
  3. Offline

Irvin Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Yup. That second location is not great but it's something. Lol I'm going to use an Innovate MXT-L wideband system. It comes with datalogging software for the A/F ratio. Should have it installed tomorrow.

I'll be using a snapon Modis 4 channel osilloscope to get a base line knock sensor data. First test I'm going
    to install a Second 1 wire knock sensor. Compare the differences in signals between the original knock sensor and
    the second 1 wire. After that I will install the New 2 wire knock sensor in the second location to get a baseline
    as well. Then for a third test. I will put the (2) wire knock sensor in the original location and 1 wire in the second
    to see how that works.

I have a Mustang dyno at the shop that can put a heavy and moderate load on the engine to detect knock.
    I'll Also do some freeway driving. But the test will be more accurate and controlled on the dyno.

I'm going to install the TRD Ecu prior to installing the supercharger for testing as well to see
    how it controls the knock. It should work just fine. At the same time I'll be checking to make sure the fifth injector is pulsating as it should. I'll obviously run another set of tests after the supercharger is installed as well.
  4. Offline

Irvin Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    So after much research. I think the only way to run the TRD ecu properly is to run a second ecu that is made for the 2 wire knock sensor to provide the proper circuitry for the 2nd knock sensor. Then tap the TRD ecu off of that. I don't think You can just run it directly to the TRD ecu.

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=205701&page=2

That's a very good read for the differences in knock sensors.

So, If I can find a "CHEAP" 03-04 corolla or matrix ecu I will try this.
    But I'm thinking the best way to run this setup, just like any other setup,
    is to either run a stand alone or a combo of piggybacks.

These are your options.

FIRST:

Run a combo of piggybacks. Running a Split Second additional injector controller
    to control the stock TRD fifth injector. Which is actually pretty good. Called them
    earlier today and they actually have MAPS to upload to your controller prior to shipping
    it to have a good "Starting" point.
    http://www.splitsec.com/spike/Toyota-Matrix/spiketoyotaMatrix.html

With some other form of controlling ignition and fuel. FIC, Camcon, Greddy etc..

SECOND.

Run a Power FC with 2zz injectors and control everything. Period.
    Added: Aug 15, 2012 5:25 AM
    This isn't necessarily a "BAD" thing. You find plenty of supercharger kits without the TRD ECU for cheaper. Then you can spend the cash saved on buying proper tuning items.
  5. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Sigh... sounds so confusing.
    Machupicchu likes this.
  6. Offline

Irvin Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I think It's because I haven't been clear why the knock sensor is so important. The TRD ECU makes
    adjustments to your fuel ratio and ignition timing using the sensors on your engine. One of those
    inputs is from the Knock sensor. It is designed to take inputs from a 2 wire knock sensor. However,
    the knock sensor that is Stock on the 8th gen's is a 1 wire knock sensor. Now, it's not just a matter of
    how many wires it has. They work differently and send out a different signal. You cannot send the 1
    wire knock sensor signal to the TRD ECU because it is different then what the TRD ECU expects to
    see.

Now you cannot just replace the 1 wire knock sensor for a 2 wire to make the TRD ECU happy because
    now you have to deal with the stock ECU not getting a proper signal too. Thus the reason why I'm
    talking about adding a second 2 wire knock sensor to the block to make the TRD ECU happy.

P.S. The Knock Sensor is very very very important. It tells your ECU that the engine is basically exploding inside the combustion chamber uncontrolled "not by spark plug". This
    will destroy engines especially with BOOoOst.

If you have an in proper knock sensor signal. You will Most likely LOOOOSE a lot of power
    and a log of MPG's. Making the whole reason of wanting to boost void
  7. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    I'm curious too how this turns out. I hardly drive the Corolla anymore, but I would love to turn it into a project car.
  8. Offline

Irvin Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    It'll be a few more weeks. This research is taking up a lot of my time. I should just go ahead and do it already lol
  9. Offline

crolla "Wait did I just lose to a corolla?"

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    ZZE110
    What about using the celica ecu, or is the corolla/matrix one better because the supercharger was designed for those cars and the trd ecu was used in conjunction with them?
  10. Offline

Irvin Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I'd have the same problem. Celica 1zzfe's used a 1 wire knock sensor 2000-2005. Mr2 as well. Corolla and Matrix are the ones that had 2 wire knock sensor
  11. Offline

crolla "Wait did I just lose to a corolla?"

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    ZZE110
    Oh now i see, makes sense
  12. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    I think I'm kinda understanding it a little more.
  13. Offline

Irvin Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I'm not giving up on this project guys. Just going to take me more time to research this.
  14. Offline

James Bullshit Police

Message Count:
    ZZE110, MA70, JZA70, AE92 GT-S x2, xB with a rollcage, 900 ft-lb Dodge Ram
    Ah, so it does need to play around with the knock signals in a piggyback fashion. Do you know what other differences there are between the zze130 and zze110 ECUs besides AC amp vs. direct compressor control and the knock sensors?

It might be a good idea at this point to do a jumper harness between the zze110 engine harness and the zze130 ECU. Then it becomes an easier problem of getting new sensors and running wires if there are not enough ECU pins/wires on the 110 harness. Either way, it's a good opportunity to run shielded wires for knock sensors anyway :).

Are zze130 ECUs cheap enough to make this worthwhile? Pins and connectors for the jumper harness could be up to 80 bucks.
  15. Offline

Irvin Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I think it's worth a shot. I'm going to go ahead and "try" to connect the 2wire sensor directly to the ECU to see
    if it makes it happy lol. If it does, then we're golden.

Other then the AC issues. All other sensors appear to be interchangeable and will work.
  16. Offline

Machupicchu The once a week type of member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    01 Corolla S E110
    I think someone should write up a thread teaching us noobs about tuning/auto electronics/fuel maps/ratios/all the confusing tuning software. Im so lost when it comes to this stuff.
  17. Offline

Irvin Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Just finished my first "Rough" test of the second knock sensor location. By rough, I mean I'm using a DVOM hooked
    up to the knock sensors in the 2 different locations. Then tapping the upper block by cylinders 1, 2, 3 and 4. Just taking a quick AC voltage reading. As expected, loss a little bit of signal when tapping cylinder #1 but still getting a good reading. I'm only loosing about .01-.02 compared to tapping it next to #4. Interesting findings is that the 1 wire and the 2 wire created just about the same amount of AC voltage from .01-.13, depending on how hard and or fast I tap the engine.

This weekend I will take the intake manifold off my car so that I can tap the engine still in the car and get actual live running readings off the oscilloscope with two 1 wire sensor hooked up. Then I'll compare the signals by overlaying them.

What I got out of this quick test.... I believe the 2 wire sensor WILL be able to connect to the
    TRD ECU directly and work properly!!!

Added: Aug 16, 2012 4:29 AM
    I wish there was an easy way to teach via internet text but the best way would be to buy a basic automotive electronics book and start from there by learning what each sensors job is, what to expect from them and how
    the computer interprets them.
    Added: Aug 16, 2012 4:50 AM

Hey James,

Maybe you can point me in the right direction. What kind and where should I get the proper shielded wire? I'm
    thinking Fry's but I HATE driving to fremont during traffic times... LOL I think I only need about 25 Feet at most. Will this work? http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062643
  18. Offline

Irvin Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
  19. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    I thought you said the original location wasn't ideal?
  20. Offline

Irvin Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I'm only going to be testing the difference of signals between the two 1 wire sensors to see if the different Locations make a big difference. After that test, i'll install the 2 wire sensor.

I never said the original location wasn't ideal. The original location is perfect
  21. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Then yes I am definitely confused.
  22. Offline

Irvin Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Lol Hmm how about this...

2 same speakers in 2 different spots. I'll be listening to see which location sounds better or if they sound the same.
  23. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    And if one is better than the other you'll use that spot for the sensor?
  24. Offline

Irvin Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I'll put the 2 wire on the better spot since it's able to hear better than the 1 wire.

On a good side note. I just fitted the idler bracket and IT CLEARS our mount! So we're good there
    James likes this.
  25. Offline

Irvin Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I've been busy rebuilding a 1zz (Piston Mod) to install the supercharger on. My silver Corolla is burning way too much oil now. :( Short block is put together now. Tmw is head day. Hopefully I will install everything within 2 weeks.
    Added: Aug 26, 2012 7:16 AM
    [IMG]
  26. Offline

1nicetrd Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I need to do that very soon my car has a light smoke when i gas it too hard and i get carbon build up on my bumper and trunk not heavy but i dont think seafoam will help at this point :(
  27. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    Is the smoke black, blue, or white?
  28. Offline

Message Count:
    It's a black but once again not a thick black but i am running Mobile 10w30 Full synth, and i use 91 so i might be running rich
  29. Offline

cBass buffalo bell lover

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    2005 Corolla XRS
    I had a puff of black smoke coming out of mine, it was making my rear bumper black...It was running rich, changed both o2 sensors and now my bumper is not that dirty
  30. Offline

Message Count:
    That definitely might be it ! but i do kind of burn oil i have no clue at what rate

who wants to find me some sensors lol