1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine transmission swap

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by zeroexp02, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Offline

zeroexp02 Banned

Message Count:
    im lost on what your saying but I was told if the they arent connected the car wont start. (meaning for the clutch)
  2. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    you can bridge the wires that go out to the harness plug that originally went on the auto trans. Those are the same wires used by the clutch-start-safety switch.
  3. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    *shrug* just think of the $$$ involved if someone screwed up the resistor installation and having to have toyota fix it. :) New ECU, burnt harness, etc... not saying your methods won't work, hell i'd do it for the hell of it and i'm sure quite a few people here are capable, but just saying the average joe corolla driver trying to do it and the possibility of frying something... to me its worth it just to say to someone ' hey its gonna cost ya more for the ECU but you CANNOT fuck that up '
  4. Offline

Dr Tweak Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    Well, it's just like anything else. If you've got the time and the skills, you can save some money. If you don't, then you just get the ECU.

The resistors would be wired into the end of the harness where the plug is, it's quite easy and there's no danger of "burning the harness" or damaging the ECU.

I mean, if you're going to go with your line of reasoning, then you might as well jump into the school of people that say, "It's not worth it, just sell your car and buy a 5-speed." Because:
  5. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    very true... lol -- well if its goin on the end of the harness where it plugs to the tranny then yeah, that would be an easy mod. both are valid points of view ... :)
  6. Offline

zeroexp02 Banned

Message Count:
    [IMG]

whick bracket do i need to replace for the manual trans? last part I need then I can do the swap this coming four day weekend
  7. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    7. -- 9 isnt really necessary and 1,2,3,11,10,4 should all match up just fine. (did for me)
  8. Offline

98tealrolla New Member

Message Count:
    If I were to get the Manual ECU is there a plug on there that would go to the clutch safety switch pedal? Also how would I wire up the reverse light swich on the transmission? Does the wiring harness from the auto ecu completely hook up to the manual ecu w/out any problems? The cruise should still work correctly right?
  9. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    1) Clutch Safety switch is not part of the ECU
    2) Reverse light would be hooked up by splicing in the manual connector to the wiring harness left behind from the auto. (the Clutch Safety switch can be disabled here -- its actually more of a pain to enable it than anything, but if you do, you must splice in the wires here on this harness as well)
    3) no - splicing is required. 2 wires for Clutch Safetey, 2 wires for reverse light, 2 wires for the cruise system. -- however the speed sensor plugs right in no problem, lol.
  10. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    In the autos, there is some sort of relay that prevent you from taking the key out unless you are in park.. how would that be defeated when switched to a manual shifter?

and as for steps 2 above: I am assuming you mean there would one connector left behind by the auto which would be left behind and cannot be plugged into the manual ecu? Is that correct?
  11. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    I actually never ran into that problem once the harness was disconnected from the transmission. The circuit no longer exists to lock the key.
  12. Offline

Message Count:
    where exactly is the harness in which you speak? under the hood/shiffter assembly/ecu harness?
  13. Offline

Dr Tweak Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    It's actually a cable that runs up to the ignitin switch on those cars, I think. Once you pull the cable, problem solved.

-Doc
  14. Offline

98tealrolla New Member

Message Count:
    where does the wire go from the clutch safety swich on the clutch pedal and the reverse light switch on the transmission? I know it may be a hassle but i want to try and make it look as much as stock.
  15. Offline

Dr Tweak Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    Where do they go from? The clutch start switch comes off the clutch pedal, and the reverse line comes from the tranny plug on an auto, or from a plug on the top of the tranny on a manual.
  16. Offline

98tealrolla New Member

Message Count:
    no i mean where do the wires go to from the clutch pedal and the transmission

is there any difference between the manual wiring harness and auto wiring harness (same number of connectors?)

yeah i know im asking too many questions
  17. Offline

Dr Tweak Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    Uhm, okay. The wire from the clutch pedal would go to NSW on your auto ECU. Yes, I think there is a difference.
  18. Offline

zeroexp02 Banned

Message Count:
    anyone know what thsecond sensor on the clutch is for and is it neccessary?
  19. Offline

Dr Tweak Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    On the clutch pedal? It's the clutch start switch, so that the car won't start without the clutch pushed in. You can bypass it.
  20. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:

indeed... a fuse will go in there quite nicely... LOL
  21. Offline

zeroexp02 Banned

Message Count:
    anyone know what fluid i am to fill the manual tranny with I got this gear oil gl-4 gl5 thats what the manual said (gl 4 gl5) I am right?

half way done need to put in the tranny tomorrow amd hook up the cables and good to go. pray for me !!!!!
  22. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    should be good to go with that. I'd suggest synthetic however. Also BG synchroshift is badass... *cradles his last bottle* hehe
  23. Offline

zeroexp02 Banned

Message Count:
    :D we can say it is done. Everything is in working order so far I have to run a hose to the ends of the radiator that went to the auto tranny and get the reverse light working. It's wierd running it, but I like. Yes I feel a gain. Special Thanks to Vortex and Dr. Tweak. Ecspecially Vortex, thanks for the hook up on the wiring (reverse light is the last I need). and Thanks to all for adding info to this post to make it that much easier for me to put the tranny in. Peace. :D
  24. Offline

Message Count:
    glad to hear you have it working! Despite all this, i'm still a bit apprehensive about doing the swap.. and its a long drive to tweek's shop.
  25. Offline

JLee TD05 3SGTE

Message Count:
    Congrats on getting it back together!

I'll definitely agree with you on that one.. :p
  26. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    need me to find the wires for that too zero? :)
  27. Offline

Dr Tweak Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    You would know!!! :)
  28. Offline

zeroexp02 Banned

Message Count:
    yeah..we all got tired and called it a day so I am gonna get the light working here in the next week or so. So if you still got your book out guru, I would appreciate it.
  29. Offline

sean2sean Member

Message Count:
    any new news?
  30. Offline

Vibe New Member

Message Count:

hey Dr Tweak, how much would you charge for a swap on the 01 corolla S