1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Tokico vs. KYB: Part II

Discussion in 'Stop, Drop & Roll' started by Ninety Four, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    Tokico vs. KYB: Part II

So it seems people think KYBs give a softer ride than Tokicos. What's the performance difference between the two? A stiffer ride normally means better handling, but in other threads no one has really touched on whether their car handled better with one type of strut vs. the other. Any opinions?
  2. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    How does a softer ride mean lower performance?
  3. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    I just changed that to make it clearer what I'm talking about. Usually a softer ride means more body roll or less aggressive damping, which I would take as lower cornering performance.
  4. Offline

91DX Guest

Message Count:
    who said kyb was softer? my kyb agx's are no where near soft. I can feel every imperfection in the road even when the road looks perfectly fine
  5. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    The thread below sparked me to ask some questions. Just about every person in that thread said they prefered Tokicos or that Tokicos were stiffer than KYB's. How would you rate your car's handling to others with upgraded suspension that you've driven?

http://vvti.net/forums/showthread.p...ighlight=tokico
  6. Offline

91DX Guest

Message Count:
    i really didnt see any definitive proof that tokico is bettar. I cant say how tokico rides, but I see a lot more people with the kyb agx than i do people with the tokico bluemoons or watever their called. altho i just checked the tokico website and they have a new adjustable dampener out called the d-spec...looks interesting. I suggest you find some locals with different setups and axe for a test drive
  7. Offline

TurismoDreamin ΓΡΗΓΟΡΟΣ ΟΔΗΓΟΣ

Message Count:
    talk to FastRolla96....he has KYB struts on Dropzone coilovers.....everytime im behind him, his car usually looked very stable and it can take corners very nicely...from the outside, it looks like a stiff bumpy ride but inside his car, the ride is very smooth....but once again...he can give you better details...im gonna try to get this same setup on my car...
  8. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    If I'm not mistaken, I think the KYB's that are available for the 93-02's are the GR2's. The AGX's may be better than the GR2's.
  9. Offline

93corolladx Guest

Message Count:
    Yeah agx is a higher performance shock than the gr-2. Not available for our cars, I think. I think the reason no one has a strut vs strut comparison is everyone buys one or the other and sticks with em.
  10. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:

they are talking about kyb gr-2.. like those REPLACEMENT struts that hack job suspension shop put on ur camry wagon. now compared to the gr-2, tokico HP are more performance oriented.