1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine to all owners of 1zz/2zz equpped corollas/celicas

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by hellapinoy, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Offline

hellapinoy 2000 Celica GTS

Message Count:
    to all owners of 1zz/2zz equpped corollas/celicas

this is something i've been seeing at work. the timing chain tensioner which is just behind the engine next to the timing chain cover leaks alot. i think it would be a good idea to take a look at it and see if its leaking oil. to me, its pretty important considering its an oil leak.
  2. Offline

darkgamer1912 Member

Message Count:
    yah i have to say ive noticed my rolla starting to burn oil and i was looking where it was coming from. after u said this i looked and its right behind the timing cover near piston 1 its the only spot i can see crap built up
  3. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    wierd... i've never seen this before... i'll keep an eye out.
  4. Offline

MattAveli Modifier

Message Count:
    cool, i've noticed my oil level down, but no blue smoke. gonna check that right now.
  5. Offline

Vibe New Member

Message Count:
    how do u fix? replace the tensioner?
  6. Offline

Supra7 New Member

Message Count:
    There's an o-ring I think. My tensioner is in the garage...
  7. Offline

KrypticKarma ~2001 Corrizm~

Message Count:
    I replaced my tensioner at work a few weeks ago.. Piece of cake
  8. Offline

hellapinoy 2000 Celica GTS

Message Count:
    wow. i was totally MIA over here... sorry guys. its easy to replace. well, you really dont have to replace it... just put some FIPG (formed in place gasket. you can get it from toyota dealers) or something similar on the o-ring to reseal it... clean the surface where the o-ring sits on the head... then to install, retract the tensioner by pulling the lock back, push the piston in, then hook it to the lock. JUST MAKE SURE YOU LOOK AT HOW IT COMES OUT CUZ IT NEEDS TO COME BACK IN THE SAME WAY. when installed, you can either bump the starter 5-10 times to get the tensioner to release. or turn the crank 15 degrees or until you hear the tensioner release.
  9. Offline

darkgamer1912 Member

Message Count:
    i had noticed when i last changed my oil that my engine had a lot of oil build up by the top and it was over my power steering pump and over everything. so i think i got to do this. but u dont recommend replacing it, cuz i have the fipg but a new one is like 22 bucks u think it would be better to do that. or should i just put the fpig on it. and would it help to but in the metal to metal area not just the o-ring. add this to my other list of things i have to do. also my belt tensioner needs to be replaced making noise u think i should do this at the same time since they are right near each other.
  10. Offline

Denver Rolla 98 impreza

Message Count:
    holy old post... at least you know how to search.. :)
  11. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    Hmmm gonna check it out for sure, I wonder if that's why my oil level was low for the 1st time EVER last week. There was no leak around the filter/adapter, pan or drain bolt. ghei.....
  12. Offline

fastbob72 Active Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    toyota avensis 1.8 vvti
    Wow funny old world, I bumped into this thread a few weeks back when googling oil consumption 1zz-FE.
    This weekend I was fixing a bottom hose leak which is 10x easier with drivers side on axle stand wheel and arch liner removed for access and I spotted the very thing you talk about.

Now I've been aware of some oil use recently and after reading the sheer volume of bad press on the 1zz-FE vvti motor over the last 18 months or so the fact there were no obvious or less than obvious signs the motor was leaking oil anywhere i had to assume it was being burnt. By Toyota's accepted oil useage levels she was barely using any but disappearing oil is worrying.

Well the first thing I noticed with her up on a stand n drivers side wheel arch stripped bare (am driving a UK Toyota btw with RHD) I was struck by the clean oil coming from behind and around the timing cover.

Thanks for posting this and restoring the confidence of those of us who really rate. our 1ZZs