1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine threw a rod! (56k warning perhaps)

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by TurboRolla21, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:
    ive blown my engine... not a fun experience. i was at the track, and mishshifter (yah yah) went from redline 3rd to 2nd instead of 4th...but, i cant really describe the damage that was done to the engine. toyota didnt really want to replace the engine, but they did it anywaz. i just rember lookin down the hood when it was in, and it looked like someone stuffed tin foil where the pistons shoulda went...
  2. Offline

corolla_man_j Guest

Message Count:
    well you are lucky that toyota replaced the engine....they don't have to if you are 'abusing' the engine....and they do classify racing as abuse.....I've gotten water in my engine before, and it sucked...it idled very rough....I cranked it a couple of times, let it pass and blipped the throttle...then it procceded to run better ....and I procceded to take off my custom 'true' CAI
  3. Offline

w1ngzer0 Guest

Message Count:
    i love that. :p. DUCT TAPE FIXES ALL !!
  4. Offline

turbo4age Love to Hate me

Message Count:
  5. Offline

TRD04 Guest

Message Count:
    It seems that you have the short ram intake. I have a CAI.
    unfortunately, there is no by-pass valve for my TRD CAI. Unless there is one and I dont know about it. Or I can incorporate one from another manufacture.
  6. Offline

turbo4age Love to Hate me

Message Count:
  7. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    hehe hell yeah man - ya gotta have humor about stuff like that - otherwise it'd ruin your life... lol
  8. Offline

polo708 New Member

Message Count:
    BASTARDS!! that sucks man, sorry.
  9. Offline

midniterains Guest

Message Count:
    straight engine head and block swap and putting new clutch in, and if the flywheel is ok get it resurfaced. i found an engine with 12k miles for 450, so i just gotta find a business address to ship it to, pick it up, or if the school autoshop teacher is ok, ship it to school . :(
  10. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:

yah, it really did suck. i have a picture of what it looked like if im bored enough to resize and upload it. but on my 98, they pulled off the plastic peice that u lift on to open the door. it was a bitch to open up in the rain, and i would just sit there getin soaked.

Thankfully someone was greatful enough to send me their handle since they had their doors shaved. so now my driver door is the only door handle painted to match my paint while the others are just black...heh
  11. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    hehe I'd have sent ya the passenger side handle too had it not been broken... Then you could have had 2 painted... lol
  12. Offline

chris102984 Guest

Message Count:
    i dont know if the newer engines arent as sturdy or something, but ive hydrolocked my engine twice now and my engine is still being the beast it has always been. its a 7afe and it has like 106k+ miles.
    in my case its the body that is failing hahah.
  13. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:
    what exactally happens when ur car hydro locks and how can you fix it?

i have a CAI in my car and im scared shitless of hydrolockin with all the horror stories ive heard
  14. Offline

Mike4831 C-Town Pimp

Message Count:
    That is insane. Good luck fixing it.
  15. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:
    lol, no, 1 handle was bad enough to replace. thanks again for the handle man. (Mom says i did a really good job on the paint job too :p ) how the turbo runin?

and why didnt u ever come down to help me mold on a Bomex kit? i had the money and everything...gah
  16. Offline

midniterains Guest

Message Count:
    when your engine hyrdolocks it does what hte word means...the engine locks up because of excessive water. its never a good idea to pour water in your intake or spark plug holes, so sucking up water isn't such a good idea either, or youll bend and weaken a rod like i did and it could just snap on you.

if you ever suck in THAT much water to where your car shuts off, DO NOT crank the engine. pull the spark plugs, put some nice absorbing matierial down in the holes, and then crank te engine to get the water out.

because fluid does not compress, it was like me sticking a piece of metal in the cylinder and then firing it up.

dont go in deep puddles and pretend you're a rally driver unless you have that sponge they call a bypass valve.
  17. Offline

AlaricD Guest

Message Count:
    You can also hydrolock your engine if you're overly zealous with throttle body or carburetor cleaner.
  18. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:
    yah, i noticed i got more high end then low end when i put on my CAI. but does the bypass work, and what do they run?
  19. Offline

Barnacules 100101101011011

Message Count:
    CAI's make your car sound phatty but they all suck :) I tried 3 CAI's and all of them robbed my low end and gave me a little bit on my high end, 1ZZFE is designed for low end torque not like the 2ZZFE which is a Rev-Master-2000. If you want high end then just get a 2ZZFE :)
  20. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:

Boils down to time man... i haven't had a single spare second in the last 6 months. :( However... I do *knocks on wood* have some time coming up in August/September when Im hitting some shows in Atlanta... you could always come up and I can help ya out... lol Preferably in September... I'll also have my painter with me, so anything is possible if we find a booth around my parents place...
  21. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:
  22. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
  23. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:
    OOOH!!! alright, i didnt get it the first time...probally the sleepiness kickin in. but i gotta get some money again. sept then huh? ill see what i can do