1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine The ghetto intake heatshield

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by plu, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Offline

plu Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    The city I live in is bowl shaped. When it rains, it floods. The creeks overflow and drainage drains overflow. I've seen way too many cars get water up to their windshields around here. It is not obvious that the water line is high until you drive into it and then it is too late. Not to mention I drive a lot in cities I never been to before and I don't want to risk driving into a flooded street by accident.

Maybe later, right now I have my CEL P0135 when cold. But a bigger problem popped up. I have a p0171 CEL also now and my idle is starting to hunt in the 500-900 RPM range. Apparently there is a TSB for the 03-08 1zzfe that points to a intake manifold leak.

http://toyota.justanswer.com/uploads/skyvisions/2008-04-05_204452_04_rolla_0171.pdf

So Monday when the dealership opens up I gotta get their 'improved' intake manifold gasket and hopefully that will resolve this CEL when cold problems that I'm having. Hell, I'll get a throttle body gasket too while I'm at it.
  2. Offline

Vibe New Member

Message Count:
    my college town gets a lot of flash floods as well and i never pull over. ah well to each their own :) i got a p0171 before but thats because im using celica parts so i just replaced the idle control valve.
  3. Offline

pnyk33 300whp 4afte

Message Count:
    if he doesen`t have a bypass valve his CAI can suck up water and stop his motor from working , most CAI run down to the bottom of the car so it can get fresh cool air insteed of hot engine air.
  4. Offline

Vibe New Member

Message Count:
    lol i know that, i have a cai on mine too. i didnt have a bypass valve for a while and i never had any problems
  5. Offline

pnyk33 300whp 4afte

Message Count:
    just make shoure you don`t fall into a big hole with water in it. lol :D
  6. Offline

Vibe New Member

Message Count:
    lol yeah, i had the elp cai back then, then i replaced it with a custom one built by tweak and it has a ufo now
  7. Offline

plu Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    BLAH!!! Back to the ghetto heatshield idea because the intake redirection idea did not work!

I don't know how you did yours, Torres16, but when I tried to do the same intake I got CEL p0171, ridiculous bad low idle, stalling, and bogging. I pulled the battery everytime and the engine always ended in stalling when I started it up. I tried to clean the MAF and everything, no difference. I put my old intake back in and all my bad problems went away. All I changed was replacing the curved pipe coming out of the throttle body and replaced it with a straight connector that I'm holding.
    [IMG]

I guess the intake is going to have to be sucking hot air permanently. Might as well put a ghetto heatshield in there.
  8. Offline

Mayur Biggest trd whore in the whole wide world

Message Count:
    Ive got my ELP and I even go through car washes that do the underspray thing, and my splash/dust shield is ripped to shreds. No bypass valve either :p
  9. Offline

pnyk33 300whp 4afte

Message Count:
  10. Offline

Vibe New Member

Message Count:
    mayur, in order to hydrolock, you need your filter to be submerged under water..
  11. Offline

Mayur Biggest trd whore in the whole wide world

Message Count:
    I know, some people are just over cautious I guess, I drive through whatever, I just know to stay out of big puddles.
  12. Offline

Vibe New Member

Message Count:
    yeah same
  13. Offline

xplicitcorolla99 Active Member

Message Count:

all you have to do is reroute your coupler facing in between the batterie(move the batterie probally towards the tb or headlight just enough gap so the pipes could fit through) and fuse box(maybe needs to be move)and look for a long pvc/aluminum pipe just enough to reach the hole and now another pipe that curves down through the hole.
  14. Offline

plu Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Update: Not trying to please you people bitching at my idea just showing how I finally solved the problem. Here's my solution:
    [IMG]

$20 Autozone hose connected to my old intake. I have a ScanGauge that shows me the IAT and it is now reading 1 degrees hotter than the outside ambient air if I am moving. I don't care how my 11 year old with 270k body mile Corolla engine bay looks. I am just happy that I am not pulling in 140+ degrees IAT anymore.
  15. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    wont that plastic melt too? since you have alot of time on your hands, might as well relocate the battery and shove that air filter down where the battery is....
  16. Offline

plu Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    It's the same plastic hose that OEM uses for the stock airbox. I thought about moving the battery but for that much work why would do that when this setup is already ambient temperature? This is basically a CAI without the risk of hydrolocking the engine nor the long runner. Yeah it heats up when I'm idling, but cools back to ambient temperature quickly when I am moving.

For anyone interested in making this $30 intake:
    Go to Autozone and pick up Spectre part numbers:
    8705 and 8741

Also from:
    www.spectreperformance.com

And your choice of filter.
  17. Offline

atomicaz Member

Message Count:
    Maaaaan. Sometimes I envy people who don't live within CARB's domain, I can't change anything on my intake or headers...
  18. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Weapon R and Injen makes a CARB legal intake.
  19. Offline

nyrican52884 Active Member

Message Count:
    I see where you connected the MAF, but where are the vacuum tubes?
  20. Offline

plu Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    The vacuum hoses hooks up to my throttle body and intake manifold. For you, I would get the vacuum adapter plate also by Spectre.
  21. Offline

MstwntdFlip Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    SO what is the best INatke for an 8th gen
    i saw one that didnt go over the manifold but i forgot what brand it was
  22. Offline

mochatron New Member

Message Count:
    I know what you mean.