1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

The DEFINITIVE interior/dash lighting Q & A forum!

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Miguel, May 5, 2004.

1. Offline

Warp10 Guest

Message Count:
    captaincorolla, how did you get to the bulb in your shifter?
  2. Offline

CaptainCorolla Thread Captain

Message Count:
    actually not too hard to do.

If you have a center console you'll need to take up the carpetting and remove the two bolts in the bottom. Then there may or may not be two screws further up, close to the actual shifter. Pull off the rear piece (the arm-rest/console) part. You can feel around under the shifter and find the socket. Number 74 bulb.
  3. Offline

CarbonB New Member

Message Count:
    Not without having some skills in soldering. All the lights on the gauges are soldered on. Atleast on the 2003 + models.

I was going to ask, anyone know what size the bases are? I dropped one of my bases for my lights, the right side console. I have all my lights working except for the very right one. It is a little lose.

I was also thinking about getting a neon behind the console and seeing how it works.

Anyways, I put in 4 neons in my car, 2 under my front dashes, and 2 under the driver and passenger seats.

Anyways I am kind of rambling lol.
  4. Offline

03blackrollaLE Guest

Message Count:
    ok i tried the sharpie mod (i know that is really gay to most of you b/c yall know all the stuff im about to ask) and it didnt turn out so well b/c it is too dim and most of you guys that have posted have '02s or older and im not very smart wen it comes to bulbs and LEDs so could anyone fill in the sizes (194 or 74 or whatever it is i have no clue:(

2003 Toyota Corolla LE
    Bulb Location Size
    A/C bulb
    Inside Air bulb
    Rear defrost bulb
    2 center console bulbs
    Shifter Bulb #74 right?

LED on/off indicator location Size
    A/C LED
    Inside Air LED
    Rear Defrost LED

and if i want to replace the BULBS with LEDs how would i do it? anyone have a DIY for the '03?

and anyone with the '03 that has changed the gauge lights and blinker lights can u tell me how many there are and what sizes the LEDs are i would really appreciate it

sorry about all the questions but thanks :confused:

oh yea and CarbonB i dropped one of the bases also i went to the dealer since u cant really find the base on the internet and they got me another 1 in 3 days...kinda pricey tho
  5. Offline

CarbonB New Member

Message Count:
    Yeah I had to go to the dealer and buy one, the guy hooked it up for whole price. It was 11.86 for it but he sold it to me for like 5.64 or something.

Pricey for a little piece of plastic which pissed me off. I know that shit cost about 5 cents to make. Anyways, For the console you will need 5 # 74's , 3 for the A/C , interior and defroster light. Plugs into the top into pre-exsisting bases, then 2 for the center that twist out the back and then replace those with the 2 remaining #74's.

Then you need 1 #194 for the shifter. I got all mine done, but accidently broke one of my LED's so my defroster has no blue light, well it has no light.

Now I need to get some 3mm LED's so I can change out the solder'd in LED's in the squares. Then I wouldn't mind changing the blinkers to blue that would be SWEET.

I can't get a new soldering gun though till next week, then I would have to order the LED's. I am sure they are 3mm but I am not sure.
  6. Offline

iliksprite Guest

Message Count:
    i can confirm everything is correct except for the gauges as i never took them out on my car yet. On the 00 corolla they were 194s for the blinkers. The only thing is if i remeber correctly that the blinkers them selves are green as in the lens so no matter what color the bulb they will show green, kinda like the red tail light. besides behind the needles (194s) the rest are the 74 bulbs.
  7. Offline

03blackrollaLE Guest

Message Count:
    ok its becoming very clear now...well kinda anyways ok so i filled in this much of my list at least

'03 Rolla
    Bulb Location and Size
    A/C bulb #74
    Inside Air bulb #74
    Rear defrost bulb #74
    2 center console bulbs #74s
    Shifter Bulb #194

LED location and Size
    A/C LED 3mm?
    Inside Air LED 3mm?
    Rear Defrost LED 3mm?
    4 Gauge Custer Backlight LEDs ????
    blinker LEDs ?????

ok more questions lol how do you get the needles off of the gauge cluster and where would i get clear ones? and where can i get a new gauge overlay or whatever they are called.
  8. Offline

CarbonB New Member

Message Count:
    Don't know, never taken my dash completely apart to see how big the blinker bulbs were.

Or the dash lights. I might change them, but it would probably be a last project.
  9. Offline

CarbonB New Member

Message Count:
    Make a clear piece of plastic and insert it :p
  10. Offline

03blackrollaLE Guest

Message Count:
    ok well i ordered some bulbs from autolumination.com and they are too big so i tryed to make them fit but they wont. they suck except for the #194 in the shifter, it worked well but anyways so i went to radio shack and bought some blue LED's and resistors (the guy got pissed b/c i didnt know what ohm resistors i needed but he did the formula and told me) and got 50% off b/c i think they r trying to get rid of them or something. im going all LED as soon as i figure out how to fit the resistors in there somewhere but i have an idea maybe it will work
  11. Offline

iliksprite Guest

Message Count:
    you need a 220 ohm resistor i bought some from them they worked fine just a little bulky. picked up some surfacemount ones from frys it worked a lot better as there was only a tiny protuberence

12. Offline

Fox New Member

Message Count:
    Do any of you guys know the size of 01-02 stock dome bulbs.
    also, have any of you tried LED dome bulbs on your 01-02 or any other year rolla?

I'm looking at getting white multi LED dome bulbs. Just for better lighting and such. Is the stock size interchangeable with any other sizes?

Thnx,
  13. Offline

2krolla New Member

Message Count:
    Ok guys,
    I own a 2000 Toyota Corolla. My question is how many of the #74 and #194 leds will I need to redo all of my interior lights? Im hoping with the help of this forum that I will be able to knock it all out in one day.
  14. Offline

ArdotheWan New Member

Message Count:
    At least 3 74's if i remember correctly maybe just get 4 or 5 in case
  15. Offline

03blackrollaLE Guest

Message Count:
    this was a great thread while it lasted. i learned alot. got all blue LEDs in now except for the soldered in ones b/c i dont know what resistors are in place. all i know is they are 3mm because i measured but thats it. oh well. sdang did his maybe he knows.
  16. Offline

ArdotheWan New Member

Message Count:
  17. Offline

CaptainCorolla Thread Captain

Message Count:
    It depends how much you want to do. I think you need 4 #74s and 3 #194/168's plus two universals. I used #74 in: shifter, ashtray, and 2 behind the climate controls. I used the 194's for my gauges and then the universals for my cig lighter and rear defroster. The biggest pain is the rear defroster, not much area. You can vaguely see my results on my cardomain page.
  18. Offline

ArdotheWan New Member

Message Count:
    finally made a DIY. In a new post go look!
  19. Offline

Silver_Nitrate New Member

Message Count:
    Does anyone know what type of bulb I need for the instrument panel of a 99 corolla? I need to change my dash lights to blue but not sure what type of bulb I need.
  20. Offline

tehloxely Guest

Message Count:
    Can someone please redo this thread. I got hella lost reading this! PLEASE.

Thank you
    /teh
  21. Offline

ArdotheWan New Member

Message Count:
    <a href="http://www.vvti.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7592" target="_blank">http://www.vvti.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7592</a>
  22. Offline

vangg Guest

Message Count:
    i have a 04 rolla...i wanted to change the led color..it's green. i wanted to change the bulbs so it's white like the dash...how would i go about doing that..
  23. Offline

vangg Guest

Message Count:
    sdang,
    wow. nice ride. hey i wanted to change the lights from those green ones behind the a/c. can you help me out and tell me how to do so like yours. i read this thread and still couldn't figure anything out. thanks
  24. Offline

CarbonB New Member

Message Count:
    Anyone know how many bulbs are needed?

I have a 2003 corolla, I changed the bulb in the stick shift, and I changed the bulbs in the AC controls. I then went to change some of the other bulbs, but some of them lost connection.

I need to remove the dash this weekend and hookup my stereo anyways, but in the meantime can anyone give a run down of how many you will need? Just to replace all the bulbs on the dash?
  25. Offline

jtweezy New Member

Message Count:
    i have a 98 n theres 3 i believe
  26. Offline

CarbonB New Member

Message Count:
    ^Who are you talking to?
  27. Offline

jtweezy New Member

Message Count:
  28. Offline

CarbonB New Member

Message Count:
    What the hell does a 1998 coroll have to do with a 2003 corolla?

Do you think the amount of interior lights is going to be the same? Or even in remotely the same places?