1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Test Drive: 2005 Toyota Corolla XRS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CorollaAltis, May 22, 2004.

1. Offline

montrolla Guest

Message Count:
    f0ck the xrs
    keep on modding ur car. remember we're putting performance parts on it, which are way better than any stock pieces. plus they make ur ride unique.
    how would u feel if u have an xrs and someone stops beside u with the same xrs. imoo i feel like shit, but when i have my modded ride no matter which stock car stops beside mine. mine is unique and i have it the way i like it.
  2. Offline

Left-Track Guest

Message Count:
    I agree !

(bien d'accord avec toi mec !!!)
  3. Offline

Left-Track Guest

Message Count:
    Bigger wheel, better suspension --> I would change it anyway
    And for the HP difference, I think with the price difference I can easily buy a supercharge or turbo to reach 170 hp so I prefer a "sleeper" S rolla vs a XRS !

And I hate the front grill so I would change it anyway also :wink:
  4. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    Yeah, I mean all of us have 03-04 Corollas already. Why go upside down on the XRS? If we drool like that, we will always end up buying another car every two years, unless you lease (then you can't mod it).

I agree with most people that posted in this topic. Keep your Corolla S and mod the hell out of it. THere are lots of high performance parts available. What's the retail for the Corolla S anyways? $14, 000? Maybe a little more or less? For the price you pay for the new XRS, you can have a 03-04 Corolla street machine + supercharged, suspension and handling upgrades, wheels, exhaust, intake, fuel system, accessories, or whatever. It will be stronger, look better, perform better than the XRS. Besides, I personally think the front end of an 03-04 Corolla looks better than the XRS. (The exterior is virtually identical besides the minor facelift on the front).

That's just my opinion though. Some people still prefer the XRS simply for the better handling and comfort. Higher redline on the XRS? I'll bet the 03-04 pull higher RPMs quicker than the XRS, so who really cares for higher redline? It's not like we drive hard all the time.

Some people in this forum already got their Corolla's pushing 200 +hp at the wheels. If we want more, than we better start looking at the STi's, Evo's, or even the overrated STR-4's and forget about the Corolla.
  5. Offline

CorollaAltis New Member

Message Count:
    steering is much more responsive than XRS. drag ok a supercharged S will take it. but who care about straight line? auto-x is where u have to put all of ure skills to work together and for small auto-x tracks handling matters more than power.
  6. Offline

TheBeak Guest

Message Count:
    agreed, if i were shopping now, vs a year ago an XRS would be on my list to consider. but honestly for 20 grand, ill take the "overrated" srt-4. also, id need to know the insurance rates for the XRS.
  7. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    You think insurance will be that much more? and id just like to add, while the XRS may be great, new cars=waste of money.
  8. Offline

TheBeak Guest

Message Count:
    IMO insurance companys are becoming increasingly wise to the factory tuner cars, and while the XRS is no EVO, i suspect the insurance companys may think it is leaning that way...

hell, at least we get a lower rate for owning the jr versions. my insurance company charges nearly the same elevated rate for a V6 mustang or camaros as thay do for the cobra/ss varients.

now my isnurance (USAA) is only about 100 bucks a month, for both my S and my XR, so im not complaining, but insurance IS something to consider with every new car purchace.
  9. Offline

w1ngzer0 Guest

Message Count:
    say hello to better suspention then a stock corolla
  10. Offline

nomes Guest

Message Count:
    where does one draw the line? As the years go by, new and better cars are coming out (not only better corollas'). If you are gona be jumping from one car to another after every couple of years, you sure have a lot of money to throw around (good for you).

I'm sure that corolla XRS is a great car ( I'm not impressed by the torque stats)

Most people would get something bigger and better if they had to spend around $20K
  11. Offline

flavious27 Guest

Message Count:
    But what are the guys and gals with the cellys doing with their cars? With we have rolla going from a base of 130 to 200hp, what can you push a xrs that starts at 170hp to? And the XRS is still a sleeper compared to how they have some sport grade for other car models (i.e. Sentra and Lancers). How much horses do you think you can mod an xrs to?
  12. Offline

CorollaAltis New Member

Message Count:
    haha i think this is gonna take us nowhere in "which one is the best" cuz they both have really good pros and cons to bring out. i really like the idea of superchargin the S for speed...like see the looks on people's faces as u pass them...yet what gives me the edge to lean more on the XRS is the handling. but then and again, its more expensive to FI an XRS cuz of its high compression.
  13. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    As far as I know, Toyota doesn't have a supercharger designed for any of the 2zz engines. You can push the 2zz XRS with a few mods and give you a few more hp, but unless TRD or some other manufacturer comes out with some type of forced induction for the XRS, the Corolla S will out perform the new XRS.

By all means, the XRS is still a top notch car compared to the other cars in its class, such as the Civic SI, Lancer Rally, Cavalier LS, etc.
  14. Offline

CorollaAltis New Member

Message Count:
    hahh omg TheDruid test drove teh Si and said it was weak...like it's missing something. i test drove the RalliArt, that too was weak. torquey but weak.

the only company that i know that really makes turbo for the 2zz is XS Engineering but its for celica gt-s. who knows it might be swappable
  15. Offline

tunix Guest

Message Count:
    Bemani also makes a 2zz supercharger, and it's designed for European Corolla TS (almost the same as XRS). AFAIK at the moment you can only get it in Switzerland. Take a look at this http://www.bemani.ch/images/pdf/Toyota Corolla TS Kompressor.pdf - it's worth it :)

tx
  16. Offline

ultraviolet Guest

Message Count:
  17. Offline

bewildered_spruce Guest

Message Count:
    if u lower the compression to about 9:1 u could turbo the heck outta that engine but ur still only gonna see most of ur power in the high rpm's unless u can make lift kick in at lower rpm, say 5000

also what i've seen from celica websites it looks like the 2zz makes more hp than the 1zz when turbo'd but still lacks torque bug time
  18. Offline

CorollaAltis New Member

Message Count:
    wow $8000 when i converted it
  19. Offline

bigdaddyk Guest

Message Count:
    I'll wait a few years till all the kinks are taken care of....I'm not one for 1st generation cars.