1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

*Terry Schindler-Schiavo

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by gain guide, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Tube is still in. Bush tried to get custody, and that was turned down.

It may have ended....that was the last chance for the parents.
  2. Offline

gain guide New Member

Message Count:
  3. Offline

DMagic000 New Member

Message Count:
    first off..what I meant was that if she had a wheelchair her family could move her around on it. That is what many people do when they have wheelchairs and can't move it themselves. Her family said they would be more than happy to do that -so you may see it as a burden but they do not.....so what is that harming? NOTHING.

falnfenix...you are asking me if the doctors are trained doctors? ummm as opposed to what? All doctors are trained.
  4. Offline

kwong2001 New Member

Message Count:
    There's a lot of people who have made A LOT of shit up. I think yesterday they had some nurse who claimed in 1995, when she was caring for shiavo, she found Shiavo could talk and was interracting. She also got fired the next day, but claimed it was because she made a police report against Michael Shiavo.

Basically, what it comes down to, Shiavo's brain dead, and her organs, just happen to still be working. If she didn't have the feeding tube in her, then she'd die. Anyone who wants to give her water, is a complete idiot. She's so brain dead she can't take stuff orally, this means, if you gave her water, she'd most likely drown. Swollowing is too complex for someone who's brain dead.

The only doctors opinions that can be trusted are the ones that are court appointed. Any doctors appointed from either side is going to be biased towards their party. So you can only rely on the people who are complletely unbiased.

I've seen the videos, most are dated at least a few years ago, and none prove she knows what's going on. The clips I keep seeing are either the dad holding the balloon and following Terri's eyes, instead of Terri following the balloon, and the video of the mom 2 inches from Terri's face acting like Terri is looking at her, but in reality, Terri can't look anywhere but at her mom.

It's sad to say "lets kill her," but it's also sad to keep her alive when she's obviously dead. It's better to end the torment, then prolong it. I can tell you, when my grandma was on her death bed, we made the decision to stop giving any more medical care once nothing more could be done. We had the doctor's load her up on morphine so she'd be comfortable and without pain, and she past away peacefully. In the year since her passing, I don't feel ashamed by what happened. I know at some point you must let the person go. It's just Shiavo's time.
  5. Offline

gotarheels03 New Member

Message Count:
    Actually, we discussed this today in Law class, and to my suprise a DNR in your will is not enough. A friend or family member needs to be given power of attorney and they must make the DNR decision. This is in order to clear the hospital of malpractice. with just a DNR the hospital will not honor it and will do everything possible to keep the person alive and avoid a possible lawsuit.
  6. Offline

gotarheels03 New Member

Message Count:
    According to my parents, the doctors told them at my birth that if I made it I would most likely be a vegetable. I think had that happened and I'd ended up like Schiavo I would be ready to die after so many years in that state. That said I can't decide what's morally right to do in this case. I can see both sides of it. what people need to remember with these court decisions is that they are based on laws and not feelings / morals.
  7. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    you didn't specify doctors...you specified PEOPLE. going on that...they were doctors hired by her family...who could easily be bought. don't you realize that both sides of the story carry heavy bias on who says what and why?

on the flipside - put yourself in her shoes. you're a VEGETABLE for 15 years. you have NO quality of life whatsoever. do you really want to be kept alive as a drooling, braindead idiot who can't go out in public without being stared at by just about everyone?
  8. Offline

jiggaman725 the black guy

Message Count:
    i try to keep an open mind about this case...i think the main issue here is that if you want to "let her die peacefully" then why would you just pull out the feeding tube and make her starve to death? if anything, give her a lethal injection or something so that she will have no possibility of feeling any type of discomfort. someone made a good point on the news last night...

"even if she was an animal she would not be treated this badly" (not word for word but that's the jist of it)

i mean, animals who have no chance of living are put down without question, not starved to death.

the way i see it, 95% of homeless people (i'm mainly talking about the bums on the street that ask for money but only use it to buy liquor) will never get back on their feet. they never get better and eventually die. so let's not feed them anymore. let's not drop any change into their cup. lets close down all the shelters and soup kitchens and just let them "pass in peace". i mean, there's really no chance in them getting better, right?
  9. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:

What Dr Kevorkian does with those that WANT to die is illegal. Injecting a person with something to kill them is illegal.

Removing the feeding tube is comparable to removing life support on a person in a coma. Would you be against that?

My wife and I have living wills, that give explicit instructions on our will to live wishes, my sons custody, and where all of our assets go to. Thats the issue here, and everyone in this thread is forgetting the MAIN issue here! The fact that the husband is saying that he is fulfilling her wishes. He has custody b/c of their marriage.....and there is nothing the courts or the governor can do.
  10. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Detach yourselves from this situation for a moment and think about this.
    I think the more important question people should ask themselves is this. If you were, for all purposes, a veggie upstairs - would you or would you not want to lay there trapped in your own unresponsive body for an undetermined amount of time or would you like to move on to whatever is next.

Personally - I'd like to move on. The idea of being trapped in a state of not being able to do anything I would rather move on. Aside from any religious beliefs - whether we go to a place where past souls have moved on and we ourselves move there or whether we are reincarnated or whether we just dissapate into nothingness ; i'd rather have one of those three happen than to just lay there with no life in me except what people who are not me claim I have. Imagine yourself in a jail cell for the rest of your life as a veggie - welcome to the garden.
  11. Offline

Message Count:
    that's the question i have asked people numerous times, but no one seems to pay attention to that part of the argument.
  12. Offline

Bulletproofswordsman JDM Oroku-Saki

Message Count:
    if shes not even aware of her own existance does it even matter?
  13. Offline

DMagic000 New Member

Message Count:
    many doctors are now disagreeing whether or not Terri is in a persistent vegetative state or not. So if she isn't we would be making a HUGE mistake of losing a life. So everyone who continues to say she is "drooling, braindead idiot" or whatever you may call her could be wrong. She sure doesn't seem like a brain damaged woman to me when I see the videos of her. And if I was in that condition I would stay in it....and my boyfriend wouldn't leave my side. Same with him -if he was in this condition I would do anything and everything possible to keep him alive and get therapy for him. If one doctor believes he can get better than that doctor is the one I'd place my odds with. I would hope for the best...it can't get worse.
  14. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:

I know you arent seeing any other videos that any of us are seeing.

The balloon video: Terris eyes are moving, and the father is moving the balloon with her eyes.

The other video is of her mothers face right in terris face. Her eyes are always jumping around.

Its all interpretation. have ya seen the video of the contraption with all of the lights? Have you seen the video of them talking to her asking her questions, and no response whatsoever? Have you seen the video of them moving her from her chair to the bed, and her head flopping down uncontrollably?

But once again, you are missing the entire point of this situation, and letting your emotions rule your words.

Oh, and doctors have been disagreeing for years...its not anything new with this case.
  15. Offline

Bulletproofswordsman JDM Oroku-Saki

Message Count:
    on another level aside from morality issues, her dying if anything is gonna stop the grieveing and depression that im sure her family is going through and probabbly HAS been going through for years, its like having a suffering, sick family member OFCOURSE you dont want them to pass, but do you really want them to live that way and the family live in suffering depression? after its all over they can move on with life
  16. Offline

DMagic000 New Member

Message Count:
    well apparently I HAVE Seen a video that you haven't. I saw the one where her father was sitting by the bed telling her a joke. She was smiling -and laughed at the punchline. (it was a joke that was told to her in the past that I guess she use to love). She even tried to talk after he told her the joke.
  17. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    If that were true, theyd be playing that video over and over again.
  18. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    no doubt - it would be one of the centerpieces for the Schindler's case.
  19. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    I say let her rest in peace.... living half here and half on the other world is not an idea of survival...
  20. Offline

DMagic000 New Member

Message Count:
    well I've seen the video three times now...I believe it was either on CNN or Fox News. I might have watched it on the Nancy Grace show on CNN also. Either way I have no reason to lie about it -just letting you know that video exists.
  21. Offline

Barnacules 100101101011011

Message Count:
    I watched the videos and read all the documents and I have come to the conclusion that she died a long time ago. What you see is a shell opperating at minimal capacity. She may very well be suffering or not feeling anything at all but in that situation I would hope and pray someone would give me a swift painless death instead of staving me to death. That is the ass thing about this hole deal. I don't think she should live the rest of her life like that. But on the otherhand I think she is void of any intellectual thought so she might be content with it. Bottom Line. If it was me give me a leathal dose of morphine and let me slip away from this world nice and peacefully.
  22. Offline

kwong2001 New Member

Message Count:
    The videos don't mean anything. They're half truths being 5-10 seconds long, they never show the hours of video before the clip that would prove she's conscious. In other words, they took a long as time to get a reaction consistent with whatever test they're doing. They happened to have a coincidence that made it seem like she was aware. That's why you never see minutes before or after before the evidence, which would more than likely, show her being all over the place.

Also, I think every test utilitizng some sort of device, like a catscan or brain scan, has proven she has no activity in the brain. Those tests are completely objective as opposed to having doctors, who give their subjective opinions. I would only trust a doctor's opinion if he was court appointed and not hired by either party.
  23. Offline

DMagic000 New Member

Message Count:
    All the videos were obtained illegally because the husband and the courts refused them to take pictures or videos. But the Schindlers believed that once they took them then people would be able to see their daughter was alive and may advance with the correct therapy. Throughout the therapy people claim she was saying words and responding -and then the therapy came to a halt due to the husband. And speaking of "the husband", the first 7 years of Terri's condition he was by her side -refusing to let her go. If he is so pressed on carrying out her wishes than he wouldn't have been so determined to keep her alive in the beginning. However, when he started dating other women -THAT is when he decided to remove the feeding tube -as in a way to let her die so that he can move on with his relationships. So basically he wants it to be removed so she is not a burden to his new life -not because of any last wishes she may or may not have had.

If she lives she will not be a burden to him -she could be in the parents custody and never have to deal with him again -and he can go on happily with the other woman he is with.
  24. Offline

Message Count:
    taken from this thread

25. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Obtained illegally from whom?

And their videos show nothing of the sort.

Either way, are entitled to your opinion, but the court system doesnt agree with you. Youre arguments are full of mostly emotion.

Emotion....and hypocritical. What are your views on the death penalty, and abortion?

QUOTE: David Gibbs, an attorney for the Schindlers, said Terri has the mental capacity of a 6-month-old

Florida law specifies that the spouse of an incapacitated adult is that person's guardian. END OF STORY.
  26. Offline

DMagic000 New Member

Message Count:
    the parents were the ones responsible for making the videos.

I have heared David Gibbs say that.....and so what? a 6 month old is very much alive and are beyond just simple physical reactions.

I am against the death penalty and I'm pro choice on abortion.. There's a twister for ya.

As for the husband having custody -than he needs to make up his mind. One minute he wants her to live and forgets about her so called "wishes" to die. And next -once he finds someone else -he wants her to die.
  27. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    He probably realized that she had no hope...psychologically he may have been in denial, and finally realized the reality.

There are tons of factors involved.

And a lot of the protestors FOR Terri are a bunch of damn hypocrites...sending death threats to the judges, the husband, etc.

So a woman whos in her 40s with a 6 month old mentality deserves to live more than a fetus? Weird logic.
  28. Offline

Message Count:

agreed.
  29. Offline

DMagic000 New Member

Message Count:
    I agree..a lot of the protestors have gotten way out of hand.

A woman in her 40s with a 6 month old mentality deserves to live.

as for abortion -I feel that it's a woman's choice. I don't feel lightly about it though. I don't think that people should have unprotected sex and just rely on abortions as birth control. But I do think it should be legal and it is before the child is even born or fully developed. Too many unwanted children in this world anyway that are in desperate need of a loving home and many don't get it. Anyways -that is a whole other issue and abortion is not the subject matter so please don't start depicting all of what I've said and making it a whole big issue as you have been doing with everything else I've been saying.
  30. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    As is a womans right to die. Which is the dispute here, along with the custody issue.

But who knows what she officially wishes...but thats the husbands decision.