1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

*Terry Schindler-Schiavo

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by gain guide, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Offline

gain guide New Member

Message Count:
    *Terry Schindler-Schiavo

Click on this site>>>http://www.terrisfight.net/

What's your opinion?
    I say: Let her go on w/ her life...put the feeding tube back on.
  2. Offline

renandabomb New Member

Message Count:
    Who's decision was it to take the tube out anyway? I do not really know the story behind all of this so forgive me for being oblivious.
  3. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    let her go.

she's not gotten any better over the past 15 YEARS of being a vegetable...since she's severely brain damaged, she won't recover from it.

keep in mind...QUALITY of life is always better than QUANTITY.
  4. Offline

corollarider19 New Member

Message Count:
    i agree with what laura said
  5. Offline

TurismoDreamin ΓΡΗΓΟΡΟΣ ΟΔΗΓΟΣ

Message Count:
    As cruel and inconsiderate this may sound, I think it would be good for her to continue to have her feeding tube taken out....But I find that what her family and stuff are saying about how she said "let me die if something like this happens" or something like that....i dunno how much i could believe that cuz of how he just so happen to have $100,000 before he made the decision to take the tube out so it seems like he wants to do it cuz of the money and be greedy and morally that would be wrong cuz he's doin it for the wrong reason....but if it were true and she did actually ask for that or even if i were in terry's case, i would want to continue on without the feeding tube....if the government is going to step in and tell them what they have to do, i think thats wrong of the government and that they have no right to do that....people make those kinda decisions everyday in hospitals and its just something that we all have to live with, unfortunately enough....plus, the government or any court should not have the right to regulate such a thing...i mean if he doesnt feel like he can afford to continue taking care of her or if he just cant handle it mentally or things along those lines, then okay, why not, he should possess the right to do that...thats just my sole opinion....leave it up to the family to decide what they want to do, not the government....they dont need to intervine just cuz the story leaked and now its everywhere so the government wants some air time for hosting the case...
  6. Offline

fastrolla96 speedbumps..yum

Message Count:
    I agree man, the government shouldn't mess with family issues as important as this case. Morally it would be best for her to have the tube out and let her die naturally instead of keeping hope for her to regain her consciousness. Human beings are not created to depend on tubes and monitors to stay alive without their knowledge of whats happening to their surroundings. I think they should haved let her go along time ago. I know I'd want to die if I knew wut was going on.
  7. Offline

Denver Rolla 98 impreza

Message Count:

What you need to relize is that she's been in the hospital for 15 years any money that she may or may not have had before she went in, or even now is spent and gone on bills, I think what her parents are saying about him just wanting her money is BS. but yo know what I do agree with you on how the government and judicial systems should not say weather or not someone should die (unless of course they are criminals cause thats kinda the job of the courts). I say leave the tube out its the husbands choice anyways he is the most closely related to her (leagialy speaking) so its more his choice.

{the parents want god to say when she should die. but them fighting to keep a feeding tube (a medicial device, man made, not made by god) is very anti god. uggg people piss me off.}

but what do I know I'm just a journalist.
  8. Offline

Message Count:
    im just a college student, hehe
  9. Offline

Denver Rolla 98 impreza

Message Count:
    been there done that

{read my edit}
  10. Offline

fastrolla96 speedbumps..yum

Message Count:
    thats wut I'm saying too man. Its up to God not man made objects.
  11. Offline

Message Count:
    yea thats true....
  12. Offline

Denver Rolla 98 impreza

Message Count:
  13. Offline

jiggaman725 the black guy

Message Count:
    well i don't know how many of you know the entire history of this case but from what i've heard over the past year or so is that the guy melted down his wedding ring and had the woman's cats euthenized a little after she came out of her coma and went into her vegetative state. and a little while after that he began dating/living with another woman. so technically he shouldn't have anything to do with the decision because he doesn't seem like he cares all that much about her. i say the courts should butt out and her parents should have the final say. as long as they can pay for it then they should be able to do whatever they want.

also, does no-one see the cruelty of the situation? i mean, not only is she being denied the feeding tube but they've been arresting people who've tried to go and give her food or water. so basically she's being starved to death. taking out the tube is one thing, but not allowing her to be fed by those who are willing? that's just wrong.

edit: sorry but SOMEBODY told me she was married...
  14. Offline

Denver Rolla 98 impreza

Message Count:
    I actually never herd about the stuff on her husband. humm kinda makes my point obsolete.
  15. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    i thought he was just living with the mother of his kids...he can't legally marry her since he's still married to Terry.
  16. Offline

DMagic000 New Member

Message Count:
    terri

they have been questioning whether or not he is indeed married. Either way -the guy is a jerk not only because of what Jiggaman said but among other things as well. I've been following this case for 6 years now -and it's just horrible. First of all -she is not on life support -she just can't feed herself. Should someone die just because they can't feed themselves? She can swallow -yet the courts won't let her eat anything -whether she can swallow it herself or not. I believe the husband isn't out for money, but I feel he has something he needs to cover up. There have been allegations that he has abused her in the past. Also a nurse just came out this past week saying that she used to work where Terri is and the husband would come in and say "when is this son-of-a-bitch going to die?" and he would take her chart and go into the room with Terri by himself for about 20 minutes. After he left the nurse noticed that Terri would always be sweating and crying in pain. The nurse reported this to the head management and also reported it to the police to file a report -the next day however she lost her job.

Also -Doctors have seen her and claim that she is not in a "vegetated state" -they stated that she has feelings and is very responsive. She can laugh, tease, smile and be full of a personality. The only thing this woman can not do is feed herself......so does that give her a right to starve to death?? If I were to have a child who had cerebal palsy or even a bad case of down syndrome and they couldn't feed themselves should I let them starve to death as well? It's the same thing. As far as the husband claiming she doesn't want to live this way....he has no proof of this at all. Her family claims that she says she would want to live this way as well as many of her friends have stated the same. Either way -neither side has proof. And either way she is not living on life support -it's a feeding tube...she needs to eat. Right now she is sitting in a hospital in so much pain, just slowly dying. A woman that was in the same "brain damaged" state as Terri came out of that and is now living a normal life because she received the correct therapy that Terri is being denied. This same woman even said that when her feeding tube was removed before that she was dying inside and it was the worse feeling in the world.

Sorry that my post is long -just feel strongly about the case. I think people who don't know anything about it are too quick to be jumping to the conclusion that she needs to die. This is a human being -she deserves to live her life.
  17. Offline

rolla02 Corollalcholic

Message Count:
    she stated that she does not want to be in a veggi state, so let her wishes be met
  18. Offline

DMagic000 New Member

Message Count:
    there is no proof that she stated that. You can't go by some asshole's word of mouth.
  19. Offline

rolla02 Corollalcholic

Message Count:
    true, but its more of a family matter thou and its been blown out of proportion IMO
  20. Offline

DMagic000 New Member

Message Count:
    I agree to an extent. The government shouldn't have gotten involved -but I'm personally glad they did. It's someone's life so I see it as a big deal and not something that could ever be fought out to a point that it's blown out of proportion. It is a family matter -the parents are doing everything they can do to save their daughter. The husband is no longer part of that family -he has moved on (new woman and new kids from this woman) -so he needs to completely move on. But he won't -because he has something to cover up and never wants Terri to be "normal" again to speak the truth.
  21. Offline

rolla02 Corollalcholic

Message Count:
    Thats where a living will comes in handy.

And this is why its a good idea to make sure your family and freinds know what you want to happen to you if you become a veggie and to have it in a legal document. No matter how old you are. I have both a DNR and a living will since I have been lie 16 and everyone of my family and freinds know my wishes.
  22. Offline

renfield90 New Member

Message Count:
    She may not have the same quality of life we have, but does that mean it's a sub-par quality of life? The only person who can judge that is the person living it.

There are many people, after being paralyzed or having severe amputations, whose quality of life goes down by our standards, when really they feel like they have great quality in their life. It's all about how you define it.

If you go to some poorer countries, you'll find they have a different definition of a good quality life. The same applies to disabled people; often they have a different and unique outlook on life.

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that Terri is conscious inside her head. If she really does smile at her family, laugh at jokes, etc. is it fair to just arbitrarily pull the plug?

I never much liked government interfering with very specific cases like this, despite their good intentions. It sets a precedent for too many things.
  23. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    That is not true....she hasnt responded directly to anyone in over 10 years. She does not laugh, she does not tease, she does not smile, and she has no personality. Court appointed, non biased doctors have said that she is in a vegitative state, and the only thing that is disputed is what part of the brain is affected, which would directly correlate with whether or not she feels pain.

There has been no improvement over the past 15 years. The husband has made NO money out of any of this, and since HE is the husband, HE should be able to say what happens. If the courts finally decide that he has no right to say what happens, this will set a precedent in court, and in the future, cases like these will be everywhere. Those people on Congress saying how she responds, laughs, etc didnt even go visit her. Not a SINGLE person on Congress visited her in person. So how could they know? Those for and against the issue were very defined by their political party.

There are hundreds of cases like this in the US.....the only reason this is getting press is because the states governor is a brother of the president.

And saying " the person living it should decide what life to live"...well, thats the entire point. This patient CANT. So someone has to for her. She does NOT SMILE people!
  24. Offline

DMagic000 New Member

Message Count:
    she DOES smile. Doctors that haven't seen her state that it is just a reaction of her brain...but many doctors that HAVE seen her claim that she is smiling and responsive. She smiles at the sight of her parents, she laughed at her fathers joke that he told her (I saw the actually footage), and she is responsive -following things with her eyes, etc. Who is to say that this isn't life? Sure seems like life to me. Many people claiming she is in a vegetated state are people who have not seen her. People who have spent time with her actually know that this woman is indeed alive inside -maybe not portraying signs like you and I, but either way she deserves to live.

And we are starving a life to death! We don't even do that to the prisoners on death row because it is simply inhumane. If they need her to die peacefully at least give her a lethal injection or something. She is slowly deteriorating and it's horrible.

Anyway -update -The supreme court has denied her parents appeal and now Florida governor Jeb Bush is trying to get state custody of Terri Schiavo.
  25. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Ive been watching news footage every day, all day for weeks now. I have never seen her smile. Her regular demeanor is a half smile anyways.

There would be more footage of all of this "reaction" if there was any. That footage would be played over and over again, to get support to their side.

But anyways....people seem to forget the actual fight here.

The HUSBAND has custody and full rights.....and he says that she told him that she wouldnt want to live that way if it ever happened. Plain and simple. Period. THATS what the issue is here.
  26. Offline

DMagic000 New Member

Message Count:
    Well, I don't know what channels you have been watching -but I have been following this case for the past 6 years. Maybe it's because I live in Tampa and I see local news on the subject so maybe I'm seeing different footage then you actually are. But mostly I have been watching Fox News and they have shown tons of footage of her laughing and smiling and attempting to talk.

and people seem to forget that the "husband" is with another woman and doesn't give a damn about Terri. He isn't doing this for money -he has something to cover up. The man killed her cats and melted her ring when all this happened. He comes in the hospital room asking "when is this bitch going to die?" And there are allegations that he is abusing her -which probably is why he is trying to let her die so that he won't get caught. It's all a cover up. I'm sorry but I wouldn't want someone like that to have rights over me and that is why people are intervining on this case.
  27. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    I work in news...I watch all of the raw footage that you, the public, never sees, before it gets cut up, and I see it before it hits the public airwaves. APTN, APTN Direct, Reuters, etc.

Yeah, I have seen some footage that is questionable in whether or not she is responding to something.....but even that footage can be interpreted in many different ways, depending on what biased doctor is interepting it.

And in regards to the allegations against the husband, dont believe everything you have seen on the news. NONE of that is verified. You really think hes abusing her in the hospital room? She is NOT going to come out of that state....the damage is irreversible. You really think that she would all of a sudden gain everything back and "tell" on her husband? Put down the supermarket checkout line tabloids.
  28. Offline

DMagic000 New Member

Message Count:
    I'm local though -local news and national news show different things. Hence the fact I've seen footage that you have not.

The husband claiming she wouldn't want to live like this is not verified either -we don't have evidence -no will.

And he may indeed be abusing her in the hospital rooms -to make her die faster. BUT I was actually referring to him abusing her in the past before she became hospitalized.
  29. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Regardless.....HE is married to her, and has custodyship of her. We're getting into symantics here, and forgetting about why this case even became news!

The parents have no proof that she DIDNT say it. So it goes to who has the legal right, which is HIM.

And the abuse was never proven or substantiated, so that doesnt mean anything.
  30. Offline

Paolino SolidTuned

Message Count:
    Dre is right. (I say that a lot don't I lol)
    If you cannot support life on your own then you are not alive in the first place. Main point, she is not supporting her own life. Its not right to keep her in this state. Do not feel guilty about "killing" her, because you are not breaking a "commandmant" anyway. properly translated it it Thou shall not commit murder. this is not murder. Let her sleep.