1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Serious Input: Headers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CorollaGT, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    smaller than 63 I'm almost positive, I'll check tomorrow if nobody answers
  2. Offline

roachrolla Hipster

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    02 Toyota Corolla
    saw on TN thats its like 45-50 mm
  3. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
  4. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    Used the words electric supercharger because i was referring to the same style supercharger that I was talking about in the previous posts. Also, because this supercharger is purely run by electricity as a main supply. Regardless of the fact, thanks for not talking down to me. That would have been irritating.

Lastly, I know the corollas arent meant for power, thats why I'm generally happy with it. The fact that I found something inexpensive that SEEMED promising just made me want to inquire about it. According to you guys it does nothing so I'm just not gonna get it.
  5. Offline

DrunkSaru Unsuspecting Poo Flinger

Message Count:
    you should take up auto detailing like I did. it will suck your money up just as quick but at least you'll have a car that will shine better than the rest. lol. So much to learn in auto detailing... Been doing it for a little over 2 years now and like anything else, the more you learn, the more you realize you need to know.
  6. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    Im all about the details man. I've changed my interior plenty of times looking for parts that have no scratches and the most "upgrades" ones i can find. For a while i even made sure that my doors and car body pars were perfectly flush, then i realized that i drive a corolla.lol I really want a sunday driver, but as most corolla owners, i dont have enough money. Im thinking Audi A3. No negative opinions on the A3, its just a personal favorite.lol :D
  7. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Saw the audi a8 at the portland auto show, its bad ass, a4 is a smaller version of it.
  8. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    isnt it the R8 not A8?
    Added: Feb 19, 2011 9:41 AM
    Alright, I've made my decision about the electric supercharger. After much inspection and scrutiny, I've decided to try it out. My reasoning is:

1ZZFE CFM Intake at full throttle is roughly at 250.
    The turbine is certified for 500 CFM
    I know CFM doesn't mean everything but it all just seems like something I would like to try out. Just to say I've done it. And hey, it could work. MAYBE. But there is still the possibility. What I may just be doing in the end is buying the turbine and port and polish. That might just get me the horse power gain I wanted. Lastly, I thought, while not in motion, the turbine blades would be an obstruction, but while the car is in motion the blades spin freely, thus not being that much of an obstruction.
  9. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    If it works LMK. I don't have high expectations though. The 63mm throttle body would've been a huge upgrade, provided you had a header/exhaust though
  10. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    Will do. I usually post any major upgrades on here anyways. To be honest, I dont have very high expectations either. In fact, I'm kind of not expecting it to not work just so I will be surprised by any gains. Either ways, it will all be measured by race between my corolla and a 97 2.5 GT Legacy. If I win, then the purchase was not in vain. If I lose then I may be returning it and trying out the throttle body. I have exhaust from the Header back so I do have that going for me, and like I said, Im probly gonna pick up a Header from a junk yard to port, polish and swap out. I know I dont drive a performance car but if i can just get it to go a little faster then I will be happy.lol Plus, its always fun to work on car, you know that. :D
  11. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    yeah, if it doesn't work just return it and buy that throttle body =] Idk what kind of gains you would get from the throttle body though, but its huge compared to the stock one, so you will need a decent exhaust system.

is that legacy sooped up at all? I remember I raced a legacy up here at Bandimere a few engines ago and beat it by a half second or so...he had the same amount of work done as me (i/h/e)
  12. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    No the A8 is not the R8. The R8 is the mid engine, V8 or V10 supercar. The A8 (or S8) is the really big 4-door Audi, the equivalent of a Mercedes S-class or BMW 7-series. The A3 is the little hatchback, the A4 is the small 4 door, then it's the A6, then A8.
  13. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    Are you sure about the throttle body gains or is that just an assumption. I go by facts and numbers so I want some info about the throttle body before I buy it. I can do the research myself but facts and stories from your experiences are very welcomed. Also, would that throttle body be a direct fit?? it doesnt really look like it. Lastly, my exhaust is 2 and 2/3 from the down pipe to the cat 2 and 3/4 of an inch all the way down to the muffler so its pretty decent. All I need is a bigger header. I also want to be careful I dont lose too much back pressure. And the legacy isnt built but its pretty fast because of the 2.5 engine.

Oh I know there is an A8.lol I was just talking about the car at the show. I thought it was an R8. idk. I wasnt there, I have just heard about it so I may be wrong.
  14. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    legacy's are also heavier than the corolla.

and yes there would be gains, but not as many as if you had upgraded internals or were pushing boost. its also only worth it if you have an equally good exhaust system to get that air out of our engine, yours should be good enough. But still, you would gain more than that silly electric supercharger. itll also increase throttle response sorta...you just won't have to jab the pedal to the floor to get the same results, since its bigger.

edit: idk if its a direct fit, the MFG website lists it as a universal fit. so idk. I don't mess around with that junk. Honestly, it probably would help considering its a dramatic change from the stock size. But not nearly as much as if you were boosted, had a bigger engine (v6+), or had fully upgraded internals. Hell I don't even know if the corollas intake manifold is designed well enough to handle the extra input...but MEH. Worth a shot if you want some extra horsies
  15. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    yeah but like i said, it has a much bigger angine.

you can call it silly when you know if it works or not.lol and i know that it wont be comparable to a turbo. or else everyone would be doing it. we'll see, im thinking that a combination of "electric turbo", the upgraded throttle body, and the port/polish i'll deff be where i want. its all trial and error for me. its always been like that. ill look into it and see what i find

Lastly, im having a squeek coming from the engine bay, could it be I need a new belt? it sounds like thats it and i dont think mine has been changed in over 150,00. atleast the 50,000 miles i've had it i havent changed it.
  16. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    I'm sure your serpentine belt has been changed in 150000 miles lol
    I've only put 40000 miles on my car, I changed it when I got the car, it's kinda cracked already. Yours was most likely changed right before you got the car, and it's wearing out. Does it squeak more when the car is cold, or the weather is cold? Mine squeaks at start-up but goes away once it gets some heat in it, and the rubber bends a bit easier. Check it for cracks on it the sides and underneath in the ribs of the belt.
    Added: Feb 22, 2011 6:08 AM
    Movie where did you see the throttle body for the same price as the electric supercharger? Was it on andysautosport?
  17. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    not really. it just always squeaks now. i hear it more when its in idle.
  18. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    I'm not talking about the R8 all thought its a nice car, i like the A8 alot. And yes the A8 is the larger version of the A4.
  19. Offline

DrunkSaru Unsuspecting Poo Flinger

Message Count:
    put some WD40 on it and if it stops squeaking, its probably the belt. Also if you haven't changed the belt for so long, check to see if it has any cracks or anything too. It sounds like its time for you to change your belt anyway. its like $8 or so for a belt. Just change it regardless. hahaa
  20. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    let me see if i was able to comprehend this thread.

1. stay away from the generic ebay header. most of the times they are universal and need to be modified even if they don't list it. i've seen numerous threads about the need for modifications on other forums. if you buy one, make sure it's from an actual manufacturer and the ebay seller is just reselling it whether new or used.

2. electric supercharger is a waste of money. it will block air being normally routed into the throttle body when the "supercharger" is not in use. I know everyone has seen the you-tube video of a civic with a leaf blower blowing into the car while on the dyno, but this is a typical ebay mod similar to the performance "chip" and fuel savers.

3. It shouldn't cost more than $200 (with core exchange) to have a throttle body bored out with a new butterfly valve. That was one of the single best mods i did on my corolla after the installation of the cam shafts.

4. CorollaGT: Don't pay attention to numbers other people are getting. the only way to really know if you're getting everything out of your mods is to dyno and tune your car which likely is not to happen. mods react differently to various cars.
  21. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Yeah it looks like you comprehended it pretty good lol
  22. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    there's so much non sense being discussed that i was getting dizzy.

there's also an A5 and A7
  23. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    I think they only made the S5, not the A5. That's the only one i"ve heard of but I'd be glad to be proven wrong, I like getting more car knowledge. We can include everything and mention the TT and the new Quattro which would be awesome if it gets confirmed.
  24. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
  25. Offline

roachrolla Hipster

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    02 Toyota Corolla
    lol

i had no idea they made audi a3-a8 up until a few days ago
  26. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    Ikon where did you get yours bored out? I can't remember the name of the company who was boring out/butterfly matching a while back.
  27. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    i used E.L. Prototypes. They also did my cam shafts and of course prototyped the sought after CAI on my car.
  28. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    Ahh, I think it was rollatuner who found someone else who was doing it....I can't remember who it was and it was years ago so I doubt it would show up on search.
  29. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    What size was it bored out to?

Thats why I feel like trying the supercharger, it may work. Also the fan on the turbo is on free spin when not fully engaged so it doesn't block airflow. I've done my research bud. The last step is to try it. The numbers say that it has a good probability that it will work.
    Added: Feb 23, 2011 6:47 AM
    good idea. i should have thought of this myself.
  30. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Ah that must be the Let Me Google That For You thing... too lazy to click that's why I spend my time on here and not on Google. Either way like I said I'd be happy to be proven wrong, now I know they make one. Just never seen one or heard of it. Everyone has the S5 around here.