1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Scion Tc competitor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ludwig, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    why are they all red? I thought cobalt was blue
  2. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    haha...they're a bunch of colors.
  3. Offline

Omes Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    The tC has no comparison, it is a "blank canvas" kind of car, and has an economy car's engine, it is not a performance car, but with a few tweaks here and there with the engine, suspension and transmission and such it could be. However I wouldn't mind running one up against a RSX (not Type-S), even tho the RSX would out-do the living daylights out of it. LoL. But poor Celica models, I can't believe they are getting replaced by the tC. That's not right. But still I wouldn't mind having one, despite the fact that a lot of very very good looking girls drive them.
  4. Offline

Omes Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    Oh yeah, and Cobalt is an element that can be explosive, not good, hopefully this ain't no pinto haha.
  5. Offline

Corolla DX-R AE100

Message Count:
    dun like it...
  6. Offline

Message Count:
  7. Offline

ShinmaTsunami T-elos Rider

Message Count:
    Actually, the cobalt shares the delta platform with the Redline.<br />
    <br />
    *sighs with Laura* <b>Did</b> anyone read the article where they put the Redline against the Srt-4 in Road &amp; Track a few months ago? Or am I the only one that reads mags outside of Super Street and Import Tuner? Has anyone read what Motor Trend and or Car and Driver had to say about the Cobalt or the Redline? You know, written by paid professionals who run these vehicles into the ground? They've all raved about the Redline, and I know that there's more design going into the Cobalt. <br />
    <br />
    This is going to be a hot vehicle. So when all you DM Haters hopped up JDM elitists out there get eaten by a stock SS Cobalt.... Don't whine about losing because of mis-shift, cracked header or some other excuse.<br />
    <br />
    *gets off soapbox*
  8. Offline

Message Count:
    ...you're my new best friend...heh.
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    *smirk* Right on.
  10. Offline

yeye Guest

Message Count:
    Hate all you want, but these cars will be handing <i>almost</i> every Corolla owner their ass.
  11. Offline

corollarider19 New Member

Message Count:
    yes it will.. i got a chance to test drive one today and i was impressed the only thing i have to complain about it the handling is a little tight
  12. Offline

Message Count:

i still dun like the 4-door...i think it's too long. when the coupes are released i'll change my mind i'm sure.
  13. Offline

Message Count:
    didnt bother me since my rolla had 4 doors but ever since i got the tc 2 doors own me
  14. Offline

renfield90 New Member

Message Count:
    Let me preface my post by saying I'm not a domestic hater...and that I'm not opposed to buying a domestic.

IMO, the looks of the Cobalt are horrible. Bits and pieces borrowed from here and there, pretty unoriginal. It really does not appeal to me, I guess it might appeal to some. And if you want to talk about build quality: hell, there's already a recall for them, and you can search for it here:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/p...ecallsearch.cfm

However, as seen in the pictures at the bottom of page 1, there is already sizable aftermarket support (and I thought stuff came out quick for the tC). As also noted above there's already forums for the car, and I can tell that people are gonna mod this thing like crazy.

Performance wise, it'll kick ass stock. No question or argument about that, and no hard feeling on this end either. If it's fast enough to win, more power to it (no pun intended). It'll be interesting how this thing reacts to mods.

I guess this thing is kinda like the SRT-4. I hate the looks, but respect the performance (SRT-4 looks worse though).

The Big Three have been getting a bad rap the past few years because overseas competitors have been able to produce more, increase reliability, and do it all for a relatively low price, while the domestics haven't quite kept pace. If you've noticed this year there's gonna be tons of new cars, and the existing ones are getting big overhauls. They're stepping up to the plate and they mean business. My opinion is that in the next few years, the stereotypes about American cars are going to reverse.
  15. Offline

Message Count:
    chevy has some fugly cars the aveo is one but i saw this god awful van i forget what its called but its fugly... back to the colbolt.. i can see that this will take off fast ive already seen a few on the streets unlike the tc where i think iam the only one in my area to drive one.. another this is gm has aftermarket support for it already the tc has almost nothing out yet.. kudos points to gm
  16. Offline

kickarse Guest

Message Count:
    "GM hopes Cobalt will drive small car market

GM hopes Cobalt will drive small car market
    By JEREMY CATO
    Globeandmail.com
    November 11, 2004

SHANNONVILLE, ONT. -- The Chevrolet Cobalt (and its Pontiac sibling, the Pursuit) is not a down-market small car like the Cavalier, but is it good enough to challenge the Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, Volkswagen's Golf and Jetta, and the Mazda3?

The jury will remain out, at least until it hits showrooms in December.

The car's stiffer frame, similar to General Motors' successful new Opel Astra in Europe and shared with the Saturn Ion, delivers a smooth and responsive drive -- at least in the preproduction sedans General Motors had on hand at an annual new-model TestFest, hosted by the Automobile Journalists Association of Canada. The Cobalt is very good dynamically. There's the good news for General Motors.

On the other hand, the Cobalt's vanilla exterior (and a poor paint job on my test car); an uninspired cabin design (though all the pieces fit together very well); and a buzzy ride when the car is pushed hard are worrisome. The buzzy part surprises me. So does the interior.

Yes, the chrome rings surrounding the gauges in my test car add pizzazz. The whole cabin, though, lacks the flair of the Mazda3 and the pure quiet and utter refinement of the Corolla.

Perhaps the cars hitting showrooms in December will be better. Certainly we've been told as much.

All sorts of GM officials, right up to the most senior product guy, vice-chairman Bob Lutz, have insisted the Cobalt will be a "premium" small car. Lutz himself is reported to have ordered various improvements in the Cobalt to nudge it upscale.

For instance, sound-deadening materials and vibration countermeasures were added, even though they boost weight and cost, never a good thing in the car business (cost affects profits and weight hurts fuel economy).

There is no question the Cobalt is critical to GM and its global Chevrolet brand. Replacing the dull and cheap Cavalier (and its Pontiac twin, the Sunfire) makes room down market for the Chevrolet Aveo, the budget small car from GM's Daewoo operation in Korea."

"Thecompany line Chevy calls the Cobalt a “premium small car.” The Cavalier replacement will be offered as a sedan or coupe when production starts this fall, powered by a 2.2- or 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine. A supercharged 2.0-liter will arrive later.
    CR's take It is unclear what makes the Cobalt “premium” other than the availability of leather and heated seats. Sharing a platform with the European Opel Astra, the Cobalt is likely to be a significant improvement over the aged Cavalier."

Good read here: http://www.baileycar.com/2005_cobalt.html

I think overall it's a nice car. Many don't like domestics here, but it really isn't heh... Looks a bit honda civicish. But it's a nice looking car despite it's characteristics it shares with many other cars in it's range. BUT, for the price, I'd rather get an IS300 5 speed.
  17. Offline

Message Count:
    *nods* Good article. Thank you for sharing. Like the article read, we'll have to wait and see the production models when they hit the showrooms this month. *nods*
  18. Offline

Message Count:
    well, i'll stick by my dislike of the 4-door...but that might be because they've parked them next to the riced out cavalier, monte carlo, and aveo we have on the lot. those three are eyesores.
  19. Offline

Message Count:
  20. Offline

Message Count:
    yeah, poooontiac always gets the better stuff.

*shakes fist* damn them.
  21. Offline

kickarse Guest

Message Count:
    That and you can drive a car like michael &quot;shuuuumaaaacker&quot; - top gear...
  22. Offline

Message Count:
    LOL hahahhahah