1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Rust

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by ChicagoCruise, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Offline

ChicagoCruise Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Rust

This 08/09 winter has been hell on my car.

And now to make things worse all the salt, snow, rain, and inconsistent warm/cold weather has given my car numerous rust spots. These are all spots in which very little metal has been exposed and the metal is turning into an orange metal. But is not yet rusted. In many cases its spreading to the top of the paint.

I was wondering if anyone had any remedies to isolate and remove these spots before they become serious. They are literally like pen mark small, but are growing. I dont want to spray paint over them, because that will ruin the finish. Even though thats wat many ppl seem to recommend after sanding.

Also, i was wondering if sparying fire retardant foam under the car would help in future rust prevention or if its a good idea. I know they do it in construction, i figure why not on the car. Any ideas?
  2. Offline

Mayur Biggest trd whore in the whole wide world

Message Count:
    Get a clay bar and meguiars paint cleaner. What you have is kind of like rusted rain water or whatever just sitting on your paint. Not really sure how I can explain it but it should come off with some work. I've done it before on a friends car but I have a polisher so not sure how much work it might take you.