1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

DIY Porting a 1ZZ-FE Exhaust Header.

Discussion in 'Other DIY & Questions' started by statik, May 16, 2005.

1. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    I heard heat wrapping your stock manifold is bad because of the material it is made off, all the heat trapped in there will crack or damage it in some way.
  2. Offline

cBass buffalo bell lover

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    2005 Corolla XRS
    fuck you got to be kidding me!

but the car feels good! i was planing on doing it to my whole exhaust pipe, it gets to dam hot in the engine bay by the exhaust, my temp. needle did not move above the middle before this but i just wanted the engine bay to be less hot if its possible. any ideas on what to do then?
  3. Offline

Goldy Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Lexus IS300
    Is the needle going over half now? It should rest just under half.
  4. Offline

cBass buffalo bell lover

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    2005 Corolla XRS
    nope, it sits now below the middle, it went down just a slight bit from where it originally sat

I though heat wrapping was not all bad, they say it lowers engine bay temp but i also dont want my exhaust manifold to crack, they get soo hot!
  5. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    If it was as effective as you say it is, cars would come equipped from the maufacturer with heat wrapping. ;) Otherwise theres a reason for it, ie; damaging the mechanics. Besides all your doing now is trapping that hot air instead of letting it naturally escape.
  6. Offline

cBass buffalo bell lover

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    2005 Corolla XRS
    they dont come equipped cuz they want you to take your car back to the dealer and rape you for money, same with laptops and computers! when they all fail

idk i feel the car through out the whole day like its driving early in the morning, i took it on a 4 hours trip and then i got 362.8 miles and still had about 1/4 of gas left.

escape? its not like im covering the muffler...lol i dont see how im harming it if the air flows through the exhaust perfectly fine, i see that where i covered it (exhaust manifold) will be like a ball of heat just heating the hell up but at least its not escaping in the engine bay, aren't oem exhaust manifolds like super durable?
  7. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Yeah, i wouldent expect it to do damage or anything right away, maybe over time. Though it seems a little sketchy to me that your tricking the car into thinking its cooler making it run les effectively cause it thinks its cool, which is probably why you notice it driving like its on a cold start. (dont know why you would say that, most cars dont run good on cold starts until their warmed up, lol)
  8. Offline

Goldy Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Lexus IS300
    Sugar pills work wonders.
    RussianH2O likes this.
  9. Offline

cBass buffalo bell lover

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    2005 Corolla XRS
    David Fain's cheap exhaust trick
    "One cheap way to get extra power and fuel economy is to wrap your exhaust manifold/header with heat resistant exhaust wrap/tape.

"When exhaust gases are pushed out of your cylinders to your exhaust manifold, the air surrounding the manifold begin to cool the gases. This cooling process reduces the velocity of the escaping gases and the engine must 'work' to push the gases through your exhaust system.

"Wrapping the exhaust headers with exhaust wrap maintains hotter exhaust gases that exit the system faster through decreased density. Increased exhaust scavenging is produced, along with lower underhood and intake temperatures. I would also venture to guess that my catalytic converter operates more efficiently since hotter gases would elevate burning of pollutants.

"I purchased the exhaust wrap by a company called Thermo Tec from a JC Whitney catalog for around $30. I installed the wrap on the header and a portion of the exhaust pipe leading from the catalytic converter to the muffler.

"This mild enhancement resulted in a 5 - 7 HP gain ... the power surge starts at around 3,000 rpm. I haven't had the chance to monitor the fuel economy gains."

--Pulled from corolland.com--
  10. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    I read the same exact thing... 2 years ago. That was the reason i started asking around about heat wrapping the manifold, not a good idea. It will just cause more problems down the line.
  11. Offline

roachrolla Hipster

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    02 Toyota Corolla
    i guess we'll just see how well his holds up. u got nothing to lose right since you're changing ur engine soon?
  12. Offline

cBass buffalo bell lover

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    2005 Corolla XRS
    well the engine does have 210k right now, ill just leave it on and see how long it lasts...still fells the same and gives me a good amount of MPG.

i do want to change the engine but nothing too complicated, maybe the 9th gen 1zz. or something better if i can find it locally, i can get my hands on the 9th gen 1zz now but i can wait. got a whole month before i go back to school.
  13. Offline

Goldy Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Lexus IS300
    I do have to wonder why headers, exhausts aren't wrapped from the factory if it is such a good thing.
  14. Offline

cBass buffalo bell lover

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    2005 Corolla XRS
    ok you guys are scaring me now....
  15. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Never seen that on a whole lot of race cars either. I call placebo effect.
  16. Offline

Goldy Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Lexus IS300
    I hearby return your self-quote with a self-quote
  17. Offline

cBass buffalo bell lover

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    2005 Corolla XRS
  18. Offline

Goldy Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Lexus IS300
    haha
    I do think that the wrap serves a function and has an effect, but maybe at the expense of other things?
  19. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    x2 that's what I'd think.