1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Polishing the Lip

Discussion in 'Stop, Drop & Roll' started by nyrican52884, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Offline

nyrican52884 Active Member

Message Count:
    Polishing the Lip

I have a set of Konig Helium's that are painted black, but now I really like the look of the black with the polished lip. Could I sand the paint off and polish the lip with a wheel polish and one of those Mother's Powerball attachment for a drill? Or could I get this done at a wheel shop? Anybody know about how much it would cost at a wheel shop?
  2. Offline

KrypticKarma ~2001 Corrizm~

Message Count:
    Why dont you just sell the rims you have and find the same set or a different set that has the polished lip? If you wanna do it yourself it would be original and you could have the pride to say YOU did it, but if you just want the look you should find some that already are polished IMO. They are always floating around on honda/nissan forums.
  3. Offline

RinconRolla98 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    use blue magic :)
  4. Offline

DOT. Noypi ako!

Message Count:
    [IMG]

plus metal polisher
  5. Offline

Message Count:
    Well I got a really good deal on these, and I would like to do it myself.

What's blue magic??

I started searching and found some DIY and they said to use the aircraft paint remover, then sand using 60, 120, 400, 800, 1500, 2000 grit. And use aluminum polisher. The secret to sanding is jack up the front of the car and have someone get the wheels going to about 30 mph, and just hold the sand paper.
    What do you think if I just polish the front lip and not the deep part of the rim. I think thats where I might get into trouble.
  6. Offline

Mayur Biggest trd whore in the whole wide world

Message Count:
    I wouldn't do that lol. What if you slipped just a little bit, you can sure as hell say bye bye to your lover.
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    LOL, true. It would be like the people that mess around with the spinning rims and lose a finger.