1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

painting trunk piece

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by redrum, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Offline

redrum Guest

Message Count:
    painting trunk piece

im thinkin about painting the plastic piece on the trunk of my 97 corolla..im gonna bondo it to make it smooth then primer it and paint it...what kind of primer should i use? and will the automotive paint from autozone work ok? will i need to put clear coat on also?
  2. Offline

DrunkSaru Unsuspecting Poo Flinger

Message Count:
    if all possible, use the same mfr primer, base paint and clear coat. I've experienced some (especially clearcoat) to not work/change the color of the base when using different brands.

Autopaint from autozone will work. I use duplicolor a lot. and Clearcoat is recommended.

Also if you want a good paint job, make sure to do it small layers at a time and make sure to wait for the paint to really dry. I usually do about coat a day or 2 light coats a day. usually it takes me at least a week to finish parts when done right. Just don't rush things. Lastly, you can polish and buff the piece and you'll get it nice and shiny.
  3. Offline

redrum Guest

Message Count:
    thanks i appreciate the help
  4. Offline

RinconRolla98 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Show some pics ........
  5. Offline

94 rolla Guest

Message Count:
    i did the same thing to mine about 6 months ago ( i can post some after pic's if you'd like). It definatly makes the car look alot better, although i will definatly say not to use bondo. over time and with heat it will start to crack and it looks like pure crap when that happens. Go get fiberglass resin and do it with that. the overall product looks muchhhh better. but best of luck man.
  6. Offline

94corolla-chafita uhh im a dude..

Message Count:
    whats a forum without pics???
  7. Offline

94 rolla Guest

Message Count:
    my whole care is primered just so you know, still trying to pay for paint... anyway, heres the pic [IMG]