1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Official Hurricane Katrina Thread (all other threads will be merged to this one)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by e_andree, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:

obviously...but they don't know where these people are. you can point to New Orleans on a map and say yeah, they're stuck there but you can't pinpoint their locations.
  2. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Now the fires are starting....which will most likely worsen and spread....

And disease will start to run rampant as well....
  3. Offline

corollarider19 New Member

Message Count:
    easy fix to that use a heat sensor gun and go over the houses
  4. Offline

Barnacules 100101101011011

Message Count:
    OMG, Cops robbing a WalMart. I love it!
  5. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Goes to show what kind of people departments are hiring nowadays....

I cant tell if they are true police officers, or armed security....im pretty sure they are armed security guards though
  6. Offline

DaCubanSkillz Active Member

Message Count:
    *shakes head*

I read how the mayor is really fed up with everything. Bush is supposed to be in LA today. I wonder how things will go with that. with all the shootings and things, i wonder if he safe while walking around. and as pissed as those people are, who knows what they may do while he's there.

All I know is that he needs to do something. From what CNN said last night, we even have other countries offering help. Even Venezuela! after all the shit that was said about them and what not, they're still offering help!

All this is affecting us (some) already. the 2 gas stations by me have run out of gas. the only gas station that has some regular left is at 3.19 a gallon. my boy told me that he heard on the news that the ATL is at 6.09 for regular. WTF?!
  7. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    AP) -- Major developments in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina: (from CNN)

The relative calm of night was disrupted early Friday with a series of massive explosions on the riverfront a few miles south of the French Quarter.

Congress rushed a $10.5 billion recovery bill to President Bush, who called the relief effort the biggest in U.S. history.

Texas agreed to triple to 75,000 the number of evacuees being taken in from Louisiana. Houston officials temporarily stopped admitting people to the Astrodome late Thursday after accepting 11,325. Others will be housed in the adjacent Reliant Center, where the Houston Texans play football.

President Bush planned a tour of Gulf Coast communities battered by Hurricane Katrina, a visit aimed at alleviating criticism that he engineered a too-little, too-late response.

Asia-Pacific nations including tsunami-battered Sri Lanka promised Friday to send money and disaster relief experts to the United States to help deal with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

Lawmakers demanded an investigation into gasoline prices after thousands of motorists called a government hotline to complain of price gouging. The Energy Department reports more than 5,000 calls, though there was no way to immediately determine how many of the allegations were valid.

Crude oil prices eased slightly Friday and gasoline futures fell for the first time in a week as several energy facilities on the Gulf Coast resumed operations. Crude oil contracts from November through February traditionally high demand months were all trading above $70 a barrel.

The military expects to put 30,000 National Guard troops on duty in the Gulf states as demands grow for more security and relief assistance, officials said.
  8. Offline

Message Count:
    this will go down in history of the united states as one of the worst acts of nature ever... thanks will
  9. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Worst acts?
  10. Offline

Message Count:
    i THINK he meant "acts of nature".
  11. Offline

Message Count:
    there are way too many houses and not enough manpower to successfully pull off an operation like that.
  12. Offline

Message Count:
    yea but on small scale it would be somewhat sucessfull
  13. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Theyve plucked thousands of people off of rooftops already.....
  14. Offline

Message Count:
  15. Offline

Message Count:
    they still dont' have the manpower to do that. lets say they find people in attics who may still be alive, that doesn't mean they'd be able to get to them in time! its not that easy to get to people who are in attics. just look at how many houses there are that are submerged!

Like E said, those on rooftops were rescued and those were the easiest. But if they continue to be idiots and fight the rescue efforts then there's no way of getting to people in attics or others that are trapped.
  16. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Bush is currently live right now with FEMA director, and all three govenors, being debriefed on the situation.
  17. Offline

Message Count:
    inresting to see whats going to happin the rest of this weekend
  18. Offline

Message Count:
  19. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    All threads merged concerning Katrina - From here out if any new threads spawn, they will be meshed to this one. Current Merges:

Wholesale Cost Rise
    Economy
    Satellite Images
    Official Hurrican Katrina Thread
    Martial Law
    Hurricane Victim Video
  20. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    He shouldve kept his cool though....not setting a good example.

The live coverage of the levee repair is pretty cool...they are dropping HUGE sand bags into the water at the breach of the levee, and bulldozers are extending the land....
  21. Offline

Message Count:
    honestly, if you were in his shoes, i don't know if you'd be able to keep your cool.

i doubt none of us who have been able to avoid natural disasters knows how they'd handle it. i'm glad he expressed his opinion - though it'll probably prevent him from any further political endorsement.
  22. Offline

TurismoDreamin ΓΡΗΓΟΡΟΣ ΟΔΗΓΟΣ

Message Count:
    just got back from work....we had a store meeting this morning like every morning....126 stores were effected by the hurricane and there are currently 50 that are not in operation or out of comission basically....walmart told new orleans that they can basically have whatever they want from the stores that have been discomissioned....also, all associates that worked in those affected walmarts and have become unemployed have been given the opportunity to transfer to any store they want to (we have two coming to tulsa, one confirmed and one in the process, but both are going to the same supercenter store #472)....and more, yesterday, walmart donated $1mil to both the salvation army and red cross....this morning the numbers were confirmed to somewhere near $15mil to both of those charities.....and in continuation to any further help, at every register in every walmart in oklahoma, as well as other participating stores, will be donation jars where people can leave money or you can also drop off food or any other items at the customer service desk.....thats what walmart has been doin to help....
  23. Offline

statik New Member

Message Count:
    wow... I just don't know. Some of the looting I can understand, for survival reasons. Then there are people who are just off the hook. Terrorizing the area.

Eric, I remember you referencing to FL, how you don't see people doing that. Is that true? Were the weather aftermath conditions similar in FL? Poor people creating the violence and disturbances. Well, in a country like ours, I can see why it would be poor people.

We have so many oppourtunities to work here and make at least a marginally comfortable lifestyle. Poor people in Africa or India don't have that oppourtunity like all of us have. Even educated, well mannered people in poor countries are in poverty because the bar is set by their government. I wouldn't go as far as saying poor people, in general, or all poor people cause violence.

Maybe the kind of poor people in our nation of oppourtunity and freedom are more inclined to become violent. If you can't make a decent life in America then there is probably some great character flaw evident in the person. Mental illness, lack of morals, very poor and ignorant education, or a combination.

Just some thoughts...
  24. Offline

Bulletproofswordsman JDM Oroku-Saki

Message Count:
    i seriously doubt the fact that the people there *may* be poor has anything to do with the violence

u can have 50000 dollars in your pocket and a benz slr, at this point it doesnt matter anymore, its about desperation and survival

im sure some of the people that stayed there didnt do so because they didnt have the means to get out, im sure some stayed to secure their property or because they felt they could "ride out" the storm. im sure both the poor and those with money are out there with guns.

millionaire or homeless, theyre all sitting in front of a stadium waiting for relief

low class, middle class and upper class mean nothing in a place where money will get you nowhere
  25. Offline

statik New Member

Message Count:
    I'd rather listen to this guy telling the truth and speaking from his heart than watch another second G.W. dash off of a helicopter to hug some crying woman in front of a news crew.

I've got to hand it to him for being a f*cking human being.
    Ray is my brotha!

You've got a good point. Really we can all sit around an analyze things, but when it comes down to it we can't really take a firm polarized stance.

It may be that the people who had the money, had the resources, had the oppourtunity to LEAVE before this went down. Which left the poor, drug addicted, criminals behind. I'm not saying this for certain, but just trying to analyze. There's always the exception to the rule in every case.

I'm sure a millionaire would have left on a plane before the shit hit the fan.
  26. Offline

Message Count:
    im sure that is case,im sure alot of the rich took off while they could

all im saying is the situation, whats happening right now with the violence and looting, wouldve been no different if it was all upper class people in the
    city

and i agree on the mayor thing, you can tell he really cares
  27. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Im not saying that he wasnt telling the truth, and its cool that he was speaking from his heart, but the New Orleans citizens are already volatile, and violent. Having their "leader" rile them up even more with his harsh words and threats wont help ease the violence/anger.

I disagree....if this occured in a higher end/class area, the unecesary looting, shooting at helicopters, shooting at hospitals, would not be occuring, plain and simple.
  28. Offline

Message Count:
    you're also assuming they can hear that. most of them don't have power, and i'd imagine their batteries would have died by now. TV doesn't work, and they have no internet.
  29. Offline

Message Count:

how would the rich have acted different?
  30. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    You really think that the more educated, better off citizens of society would behave the way that they were behavin yesterday? I think not.

You can directly compare it to the majority of criminals being uneducated and poorer.

The LA riots....were those involved in that riot educated, rich citizens? No.

Its harsh, but its the harsh reality.