1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Official Hurricane Katrina Thread (all other threads will be merged to this one)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by e_andree, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Offline

corollarider19 New Member

Message Count:
    scum of humanity
  2. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Whos Marshall? :) :confused: :confused: :confused:

And how about we combine all of the Katrina threads.....its getting old having 5 different threads on the subject
  3. Offline

Message Count:
    sorry bad spelling but it needs to be done.. bush needs to declair it
  4. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Its already basically been set into action, by deploying more soldiers into that area....
  5. Offline

Fgca_rolla milky cocopuffs

Message Count:
    As opposed to the idea as I would normally be...I agree.

There are reports of snipers shooting at doctors evacuating patients. Thats beyond ridiculous. I also heard reports that the police were having to loot gun stores because they weren't able to combat the weapons they were coming across on the street. This is ridiculous.
  6. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    No, the police were going into the gun stores to confiscate the ammo that was left behind, so the street people couldnt get more ammo than they already have.
  7. Offline

Fgca_rolla milky cocopuffs

Message Count:
    Thats a sad thing...
  8. Offline

statik New Member

Message Count:
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    curfew should be in affect and all that other stuff. i know it will be hard to enforce but its a step
  10. Offline

statik New Member

Message Count:
    Hm, well they might as well get all of the reasonable people out and then leave the place in ruins.

right...
  11. Offline

TurismoDreamin ΓΡΗΓΟΡΟΣ ΟΔΗΓΟΣ

Message Count:
    well not all of new orleans is under water, just a really big section....and the damage there after the hurricane was not as bad as expected....but then the levees broke in three places and thats why new orleans is such a big deal now.....and plus new orleans didnt always use to be below sea level....the french quarter (which is the oldest part of new orleans) is above sea level but of course as the city expanded with very very rapid growth (new orleans is the most populous city in louisiana) they expanded in areas below sea level
  12. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Curfew?? Ya cant have a curfew when the majority of the people have no home to go to
  13. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    where would they put these people?

...E beat me to it. they can't lock these people down - they're sitting in the streets waiting for buses to take them away.

after 3 days of no food or water, and no relief in sight, you'd probably start acting a little irrationally, too. not necessarily to the extent of shooting at doctors, but trying to find food and water where you can...yeah, you'd do what you needed to survive.

i just think the shootings are a bit excessive...they should have locked down the guns at the wal-mart when this first happened. :(
  14. Offline

Message Count:
    i realize it's part of their job - it's still upsetting to see this happening so close to home.

where's the UN now?
  15. Offline

Message Count:
    i agree with you....i honestly think that the only people that should be complaining would be businesses who rely on cheap gas to run an efficient business....our manager had a conference call recently and said that ALL the prices in our store could increase in order to compensate which makes sense since on average our store gets plenty of different delivery trucks daily like grocery,gm and receiving, reclaimations, borden-viva, frito-lay, budweiser, UPS, Fedex, etc....thats considering that we are a neighborhood market....the supercenters have a whole lot more than that....(fyi, milk prices flucuate just like gas does whether or not gas prices flucuate)
  16. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Should we abandon NO?

I understand there are two sides to this topic.

Abandon the city:

It's a disaster zone. It's unsafe. It will take millions of dollars and man-hours to return it to any form of normality. Rebuilding the city is like setting up the house of cards again in a wind tunnel. It will be destroyed again. If not by a hurricane... something else. The rising seas. A VW Beetle-sized meteor striking the Gulf Of Mexico. Something.

Save the city:

It's a historical landmark and home to thousands. It would take millions of dollars and man-hours to build a replacement city, or individual homes and business scattered elsewhere. Perhaps it will be built better, faster, stronger this time. Able to withstand the next disaster. Perhaps much of the underlying infrastructure can be saved and reused.

Like someone else said... it's a no-win situation. I'm not trying to be a monster, or take sides. I see both sides of this equally. Hindsight is always 20/20... and if we could go back in time, we could have placed the city somewhere else.

40,000 soldiers are being sent to the area.
  17. Offline

teevee247 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I say level the city and build somewhere else... except for the fact of the historical significance, which makes its a hard decision...
  18. Offline

Message Count:
    well i said it would be hard to enforce something like that.. it just shows our country.. i had it in my mind that we would come together like we did during 9-11 its the total opposite this time
  19. Offline

Bulletproofswordsman JDM Oroku-Saki

Message Count:
    /\ theres no common enemy this time, no one to blame

people have lost everything and are really pissed off

not to mention straight up survival instinct, if there was NO water in the stadium and i saw a dude walk in with a case of dasani, id be tempted to take it from him, same deal in reverse, everyone is a threat
  20. Offline

Message Count:

EXACTLY.

my mom put it in a creative light tonight at dinner. look at the pictures, the video of the crowds...this is like a combination of a zombie movie and a war zone in a 3rd world country. there IS no law, no order. it's live or die right now.
  21. Offline

Message Count:
    Just to add to the abandon the city perspective, since New Orleans is such a health hazard with such things as sewage, gas, etc., mixed in with the flood water, its been speculated that New Orleans will not be habitable since this health hazard will be present for not just months or not even a few years....they were saying a decade....thats kinda freaky...and plus, on top of the already destroyed buildings, every building that is under flood waters will continue to be under flood waters for months on end which will render the standing buildings structurally unsound....so all those buildings will have to be torn down and rebuild....that includes downtown where all the skyscrapers are...and not only that, but the ground will have the same consistancy as sand in which it will not be as solid....even before the hurricane came, the traditional way to bury people in new orleans was to bury them above ground and cement them over because if they dug graves for them, they would run into water...another reason why bodies are floating around because they were unwantedly exumed...so wouldnt rebuilding in that same flooded prone health hazardous cesspool just be an unwise choice whereas relocating ONLY the section of the city that is below sea level to a section of open land that is above sea level for just a slightly more expensive price tag knowing that that section of the city will no longer have to worry about breached levees or floods and have a great peace of mind?....i mean the french quarter, which of course is the oldest part of new orleans, and its surrounding perimeter radiating from that particular area was built above sea level so you would still preserve the historical significance....thats just my view point...
  22. Offline

IS-Rolla Toyota Forever

Message Count:
  23. Offline

Bulletproofswordsman JDM Oroku-Saki

Message Count:
    definitely unsafe for a looong long time

dead people + waste + general filth, = ridiculous bacteria and disease growth, and all the water means, its gonna spread ridiculously
  24. Offline

Message Count:
    its a messy place.. were in a hard spot but i do think more can be done fly in additional law enforcement to help out the 1,500 plus they have down there and try and get everybody on the right page i know that sounds hard to do but it can be done
  25. Offline

D Matrix Member

Message Count:
    Those people in the convention center need help/food/water ASAP. That should be a top priority. They are in dire straights and now they are starting to kill each other.
  26. Offline

Message Count:
    what about the people who are locked in the attic of their house they need out first
  27. Offline

Message Count:
    Well, id say correction....the people in the convention center are getting help, the most help out of everyone in the city probably...there are 500 buses coming to take all those people to either baton rouge or houston....and behind those waiting buses at the superdome are plenty of red cross vehicles giving out food and military personnel giving out MRE's and a few ambulances to help out with any medical situation although they are not necessarily prepared for anything major....so compared to everyone else, they're being pampered right now....you have to consider the fact that there are 25,000 give or take in the convention center and it only makes sense that even tonight, we will still see a large mass of people waiting because thats quite a bit of people....if anyone needs more help, its the people stuck in the hospitals...people in the hospital who shouldntve died are dying because the most important aspect of any hospital when dealing with the sick or dying is time....they need to be taken care of immediately....the main focus here needs to be the gangs and looters that have basically taken matters into their own hands and run a muck...ya kno, although i am in support of taking food for survival, i am not in support of taking someone else's property or items that you dont need to survive, such as TV's, a trash bag full of sneakers, computers, etc., you dont need all that to survive; but now, its gotten to the point where they're shooting at rescue helicopters, raping people, killing people, etc.; how can anyone attempt to rescue anyone when they are people shooting at you...plus, all the people that are in the flooded areas are seeking their own refuse on the rooftops of their house or any other place above water. They should be the next priority because as far as im concerned, the people held up at the superdome are already being taken care of if not swiftly but surely.
  28. Offline

xnevergiveinx New Member

Message Count:
    ohio aint bad. stupid winter is about all to complain about. we get a few tornados every once in a while, but never really up towards cleveland
  29. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
  30. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count: