1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Official Hurricane Katrina Thread (all other threads will be merged to this one)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by e_andree, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Offline

TurismoDreamin ΓΡΗΓΟΡΟΣ ΟΔΗΓΟΣ

Message Count:
    Satellite Aftermath

Digital Globe finally snapped some pictures of the devestation....they're still taking pictures....in the first picture you can see the breach in the levee system (follow the 17th street canal, left) and you can see the superdome's roof torn up....plus all the flooding...
    Katrina Gallery
  2. Offline

teevee247 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Nice find, really gives a better sense of how much damage is done...
  3. Offline

Barnacules 100101101011011

Message Count:
    No, Washington state :) We're awesome. Nothing worth attacking, No natual disasters and the most dangerous anmials we have outside is a rabbit.
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    Actually there is something we can do about it. We can stop buying plastic products and start riding our bikes. But everyone knows we wont because we would rather pay the huge price for gas :)
  5. Offline

Message Count:
    Screw gas prices, if they make it to $4 a gallon I'm going to convert my car to run on Alcohol and make the shit myself out of garbage organic material :)
  6. Offline

rhythmnsmoke New Member

Message Count:

Well, I'm in TN. And quite frankly it's a sweet spot if you ask me. Not to far north, not to far south, and not near any shores either. I have seen one Tornado come though Nashville, TN since I have been born. I'm 25 now, born and raised here. I don't think I'm going to be going to far from this region.
  7. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    man if this was a small country and easy to get around places I'd say fuck it I'm riding my moped or my freakin bicycle but with the outstanding distances in this country people can't stop buying gas man, by stop buying gas we'll even hurt our economy more than what it already is and we're hurting our pocket either way due to the fact that people can't get to work blah blah blah and not everyone is at walking distance of their jobs or is willing to take a taxi or bus to their jobs due to the fact that they're putting money on bus fare and taxi fare instead of gas so yea and if people can't get around then there would be no shopping or anything of that sort or there will be but minimal..... we won't stop buying gas EVER no matter how high prices get, this country is a huge country and we need it.
  8. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Atlanta has gas prices at 6 bucks now
  9. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    damn everytime something like this happens it makes me value life more and more each day and how lucky I am to live in a state where it just snows........ damn man that's some sad stuff bro :(....... all my heart goes out to the victims and their families
  10. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    6 DOLLARS!!!!!!!!! :wow1: :bigEyes:
  11. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    well as I just read in the other thread ATL is up to 6 dollars now and well this is making me think even more and more about getting one of those Vespa scooter thingys to go to work and shit cause fack man ridiculous crap with this gas thing........ :eek:
  12. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    If another 15 bucks a week in gas will make or break your turbo plans, you coudlnt afford it in the first place.
  13. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
  14. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    The 6 dollar situation is 100% price gouging.

They havent gone up at all? Not according to that article!
  15. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Its total price gouging though
  16. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    Okay sorry to be a total newb on this crap but I'm not into the whole thread what is "price gouging"?
  17. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Price gouging:

1. pricing above the market when no alternative retailer is available
    2. The term price gouging refers to the phenomenon of sharply rising prices of items in (often temporary) high demand.

Its basically a company taking advantage of a situation and raising prices, even though there is no basis to raise prices
  18. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    oh alright, thanks for the explanation there E.
  19. Offline

01rollas New Member

Message Count:
    Deep South, Texas , currently in Okinawa, Japan
    prices were at 2.99 to 3.19 for regular and now they are hitting 3.27 for regular or that has been the cheapest i have seen it at right now as of early this morning.
  20. Offline

gotarheels03 New Member

Message Count:
    I really think people are bitching and overreacting way too much to these "high" gas prices. I mean I dont like paying $3 for gas, but honestly our gas is cheap compared to most other industrialized nations.
    If all the gas stations in my area started charging $7, people would bitch more, but they'd still be filling their tanks.

Whats amazing is people are actually complaining to the gas station attendants about prices, like they can do anything. Someone on another board said a station by him had a sign out saying "Anyone else who complains is getting charged double"

Thank god most of us drive Corollas.
  21. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    hahaha nice lol my sister just told me that some gas stations by where she lives RAN OUT of the unleaded plus fuel (I dk what grade it is in FL, I'm guessing 89, here in Colorado is 87) so she had to put in premium which is at $3.09 as of last night. Colorado hasn't been hit hard yet thank God
  22. Offline

01rollas New Member

Message Count:
    so yeah they are higher on other countries and other areas . i agree with you on that.i dunno i guess when you're accustomed to a relatively steady gas price you get used to it. having to get used to it is something a lot of people don't want to pay attention to. I am just here letting other know what it is down here. does it affect me quite a bit ,no not even. Yesterday i heard a a guy complaining that his brand new five day old Honda Civic was not getting the gas milage it should have he said it was getting worse. I then asked him how he drove and he did not respond. he just filled up and took off very hard. Right before he left i told him that was his problem and he refused to listen. so yeah. alot Depends on how people drive, which shows how they accept everything altogether.
  23. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Well, yeah, its a neccesity, which why the current price gouging is that much more worse. I can bitch about the prices because a one dollar increase per gallon equals a 30 dollars a week increase for me.....120 increase a month.

Unless you are talking to the owner of an independant gas station, its pointless to complain to the gas attendant. But the actual gas prices arent increasing as fast as the pump price is increasing.
    Its price gouging, taking advantage of the current hype......theres an independant gas station here, sandwiched in between a BP (Amoco) and a sheetz, and they are consistantly 50 cents cheaper, all grades. Its because he isnt taking advantage of the situation. For further proof, how can different areas of a city have price differences of 30-40 cents?

How many miles do you get to your tank?

Plus his car is only 5 days old....
  24. Offline

01rollas New Member

Message Count:
    um...in my case when i had mine running i would average 488 on a full tank the Honda would get 420 but this was expressway use. on city the rolla would get about 350 and 280 on the accord. This is in my case.

yeah so it still needed to be broken in. but he should consider how he drove regardless if it was new or not.
  25. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    280 on the accord? and it's a 6 cyl right? damn dude my car is getting even less than that.... I wonder what's really wrong with that motor dude
  26. Offline

01rollas New Member

Message Count:
    your motor or mine because, if you remember i just got the accord back and it was getting me 13 mpg and now it get a bit better (i have yet to record it) but it got 280 yesterday on a full tank and this was giving it gas to change lanes or pass at 80+ mph. and the tranny is new too and the entire driveline.

yeah its a 3.0 VTEC V6 245 H.P. / 220 FT.LBS.TQ.
  27. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Official Hurricane Katrina Thread

It disgusts me to see that the rescue helicopters in New Orleans are being shot at, and the boat rescue operations are being called off due to violence.....looters, fighting, shootings, stabbings........geez.....
  28. Offline

teevee247 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    The helicopters are being shot at?! That is just plain retarded, I can understand looting to a certain extent since people need food and such to survive (in a natural disaster, if you have to break into a store to get some food to live, im all for that...) but the rest of the stuff going on (and the extent of the looting) just makes me sick...
  29. Offline

Denver Rolla 98 impreza

Message Count:
    you know what tehy say... disasters bring out ones true self... you would think that the way america rallied together after 9-11 that after this they would do the same... but I guess not... god I hate people...
  30. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    I read an article about that yesterday about how they let all the prisoners go and shit...... man I would've expected them taking it easy due to the fact that they were given a break u know and like redeem themselves but no instead they go out shooting and killing ppl wtf..... I agree with E just a disgusting display of inhumane acts....