1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Official Hurricane Katrina Thread (all other threads will be merged to this one)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by e_andree, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Offline

renandabomb New Member

Message Count:
    this is really heart felt. this hit me and almost made me teary eyed myself when i saw it on tv. this sux man. it really sux for him.

u see a corolla drive by in the background. the first car.. that goes by
  2. Offline

gain guide New Member

Message Count:
    *GAS Prices

I think this is worth a try. It must stop somewhere!

I hear we are going to hit close to $3.00 a gallon by the summer. Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action

Phillip Hollsworth, offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.75 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50-$1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace.... not sellers.

With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas!
    And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON"T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they
    reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp (sic) out on me at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!! I am sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!! Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people and DON"T purchase ANY gasoline from EXXON and MOBIL. That's all.

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE
  3. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
  4. Offline

Barnacules 100101101011011

Message Count:
  5. Offline

Barnacules 100101101011011

Message Count:
    Come to Washington, we don't have any bad things happen just a lot of stupid scares by the Media :)
  6. Offline

Message Count:
    for how many years has this been suggested? since gas went to - *GASP!* - $1.50. it didn't work then, and it won't work now. there's no cap on gas prices because our president is an oil man...and we're making him money.
  7. Offline

Fgca_rolla milky cocopuffs

Message Count:
    Maybe I'm missing something. I understand that 10% of our oil rigs were shut down due to the storm. I understand, hypothetically, because of this there would be an oil shortage. We just opened the SPR though. We don't have an oil shortage. On top of this Saudi Arabia and, now, Venezuala are offering to loan us oil to help with the deficit caused by the storm. We aren't going to run dry any time soon. Why is the media portraying it in that fashion? I mean I realize gas prices are going to go up, but you have to wonder how much of that is going to go up because of the way people are freaking out about a "shortage"
  8. Offline

gain guide New Member

Message Count:
  9. Offline

Message Count:
  10. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    WE'RE DOOMED! :( stupid war.....
  11. Offline

Message Count:
    In no way is the following statement bashing on the military, so no one kill me.

One thing that hardly any one in our country wants to look at is how much oil we are consuming with this war. I don't know how much it is exactly, but I know it takes a hell of a lot of gas to fill up a normal, every day Hummer. I can't even imagin how much oil is used to fill up an entire fleet of armored Hummers.

CNN did a story a few days back on how much oil the president and his staff go through. It was ridiculous the numbers they were showing. I tried finding the article, but its not on CNN.com anymore. Oh well. I just think its ironic that the Bush administration is pushing for higher fuel standards on suv's (http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/08/23/fuel_economy/index.html) when they are killing tons of gas constantly with their heavily armored presidential motorcades.
  12. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    eh I don't give a flying shit what anyone in here has to say about this but for me everything started going downhill after the war started and thanks to Bush and NO I DON'T GIVE A DAMN what the others think here about my opinion.
  13. Offline

Message Count:
    I'm with you on that one. Oh God I hear the flames already.

If we knew what was right we'd run with our tail between our legs to the UN begging for forgiveness/assistance. The current administration is all to proud though. Whats the point in proving we have military dominance now? We uprooted two governments in a volital area. Both governments I might add don't share the views of the US we'd all like to hear.

We're doomed at this rate. Hello Draft, Good Bye national security.
  14. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    If anyone flames in this board for an opinion will be warned, this is a non flammin board and things will be done the right way.
  15. Offline

Message Count:
    Sweeeeeeeet!
  16. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    ummm dood no matter how much we protest and crap this was going to happen sooner or later and we all knew it.... prices are high and there's nothing we can do about it.
  17. Offline

Legit01Rolla Active Member

Message Count:
    mayn....how sad.. :sad:
  18. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    I'm just sick of people flamming others like little high school kids whenever there's an opinion..... it's retarted man it seems like a bunch of lil kids after the same popsicle jeez lol......... but well back to the topic in hand well man I dk I'm gonna watch the gas prices here within the next few weeks and if it gets so ugly and out of hand then so much for my turbo plans cause I won't pay ridiculous amounts of money for premium fuel man, no way no how..... I'll just end up moving to FL with my sister where I can ride a bike 365 and save my gas and shit up cause damn this is looking nasty already...
  19. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    I just called my uncle and he said that in Colombia the cheapest gas prices are at:

Regular - $1.90
    Premium - $2.00
    Diesel - $2.05

(approximate value to the dollar in Colombian pesos)

man I wish I lived there shit..... and he said that gas wasn't hitting all that high there, that's been in that price range for over 4 months..... damn
  20. Offline

Message Count:
    Yeah, hopefully it will level out soon. I don't really see a cause for this so called oil shortage or w/e they want to call it now.

Either way, yeah man come down to FL. Bike weather is great.
  21. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    well it will all be within a month month 1/2 so yea.... hopefully gas prices won't skyrocket past $3.20 for premium cause if they do, forget about the turbo plans, not happening.
  22. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    see? exactly why I'm having second thoughts about boosting my car now..... fuck man nice time for this crap to happen :mad:
  23. Offline

Message Count:
  24. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    next time gas prices dip a lil i'm bringing all my empty milk containers to the gas station and start hoarding.
  25. Offline

xnevergiveinx New Member

Message Count:

because the media feeds on fear and loves to dish it out to the people
  26. Offline

teevee247 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Don't bash ExxonMobil, I'm trying to get a job there :)

The problem is that the oil companies really do control the prices, not the consumer in this case...
  27. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    More than 10% of our oil rigs were shut down
  28. Offline

Message Count:
    yes. it's one huge conspiracy. :rolleyes:
  29. Offline

underconstrtion New Member

Message Count:
    Here In Jersey It Not To Bad The Cheaps I've Found Is 2.45 The Most Is 3.95
  30. Offline

TurismoDreamin ΓΡΗΓΟΡΟΣ ΟΔΗΓΟΣ

Message Count:
    if ur talkin bout washington dc, i think thats the last place id like to be....all those government buildings, id be paranoid of some kinda of terrorist attack