1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

New projector head lights available

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by alpha-vvti, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Offline

ctsire13 Guest

Message Count:
    Thanks for the wiring schematic.

Do you guys have any recommendations for places to buy used projector lamps (Halogen or HID).
  2. Offline

DistantXtremes Guest

Message Count:
  3. Offline

Corolla_Racer956 Guest

Message Count:
    wow

those lighst look great but as many people mentioned they are pricy, my car is in the shop right now cuz i wrecked it, it should be out by march 15 and hopefully it might come out with those projector headlights!!!!
  4. Offline

Sasuke Guest

Message Count:
    ouch sorry bout the wrecked. btw i heard that projector cant handle hid right?
  5. Offline

DBurcombe Guest

Message Count:
    I have these lights

Hey yall, I just got these headlights delivered about three days ago. They're sweeeet.
    One of the cool things is that the city light is already installed. They are indeed fog light bulbs. :?
    but I'm going to try and retrofit my existing bulbs into the housing. I took some pictures of the
    front and back so all you guys/girls can have a better looksy... Sweet.. I got the pictures to work

- DB Lex

Front View
    [IMG]

Close-up of pre-installed city light
    [IMG]

Side View
    [IMG]

Back View showing all wiring
    the reb/black wires on the pic's left are for the city lights
    the set of 2white 2 red wires at the bottom are for the halos
    the rubber caps in the middle are covering the H3 bulbs w/their corresponding plugs shown
    the white sticker on the right is plugging the hole for a direct transfer of the parking light(I'm pretty sure it's a direct transfer)
    [IMG]

Close up of H3 bulb housing under the rubber plugs
    [IMG]

Let me know if anyone has any install input on these lights. I don't really know what I'm doing :mrgreen: haha well that's what DIY's are for right??
  6. Offline

Tro1086 Guest

Message Count:
    Arent HIDs supposed to run cooler then halogens anyway? Thats what ive always heard. If thats the case then wouldnt we be able to run HIDs in these projectors?
  7. Offline

DistantXtremes Guest

Message Count:
    Re: I have these lights

hey, email the pics to me and i can post em
    distantxtremes@yahoo.com

also yes HID do burn cooler, but they are still pretty hot.
    if you can run an h3 halogen in there i dont think there would be any problem running a h3 rebased hid bulb in the projector if you want to go the cheap route
    anyone that does this post pics of your beam pattern

my HID RETROFIT IS ALMOST DONE!!!
    Honda S2000 Hid Projectors in an OEM housing painted to my specifics.
    i will post pics later when its done...
    probably about 1-2 weeks more.
  8. Offline

[TRD]Rolla Guest

Message Count:

hehe i want to retrofit an infiniti hid projector...a halogen designed housing will never get the color and clean cut offs ...but i dont know how to do it...so hopefully u'll hav ea DIY guide distant..=)
  9. Offline

stewardcboy Guest

Message Count:
    How are they at night? Do you see much of a difference, or is the change simply cosmetic?
  10. Offline

brownbanana ToadMotorSports

Message Count:
    how would you wire up the city light & angel eyes to two switches respectively? what kind of switch would i use also?
  11. Offline

DistantXtremes Guest

Message Count:
    Depends on the function you want to pick.
    i hooked up someones halos to their parking lights so they come on when the parking lights are on.

run a wire to a positive source and in junction with that have a toggle switch installed between (autozone, pepboys, walmart:(

wire from the red wire of the halo or ciity light to a two pole toggle switch. From the toggle switch to a 12v source on the car. (battery, or splice it with something that turns on when the car is on. "clock") then ground the black wire.
  12. Offline

DistantXtremes Guest

Message Count:

[quote="[TRD]RoLLa
    hehe i want to retrofit an infiniti hid projector...a halogen designed housing will never get the color and clean cut offs ...but i dont know how to do it...so hopefully u'll hav ea DIY guide distant..=)[/quote]

err a DIY :-D it might be easier doing a retro on a set of aftermarket projector headlmaps and replacing the h3 projector with hid projector.

here are some great sites:
    topic 6166
    www.hidretro.com/page22.html
    http://fullpwer.com/dk2/dxlinx.html
  13. Offline

Message Count:
    hey, thanks distantxtremes
    if i get these headlights, i think ill probalby just wanna keep my stock (9006, & 9005) llights. how hard would that be to fit in at least the 9006 lowbean in place of the h3 lowbean in the assembly?
  14. Offline

DistantXtremes Guest

Message Count:
    it would be very difficult to line up the focal points on both sets of bulbs exactly to get a somewhat good beam pattern.

[IMG]
    if you look at an H3 bulb you notice from the base of the bulb to the light filiment it self is is around 18.0mm where that filiment is placed inside the projectors (or reflector) headlamp is where the focal point is of that projector. meaning all the light that leaves from that focal point ends up refracting off the reflective part of the projectors and shining on the ground at a correct beam pattern. If you look at the 9006 bulb you can see the difference.
    [IMG]
    the distance from the base of the 9006 bulb to the filiment of that bulb is around 31.5mm at the max.
    If you are concerned with not enought light from the h3 bulb...
    try the rebased HID h3 bulbs...
    a guy on a WRX forum had projectors that were H1 and put a H1 hid rebased bulb and it looked good.

people think that since hid is brighter it gets hotter...
    it wouldnt be hotter then a 100 watt h3 bulb that most people put in these headlamps..(bluish aftermarket bulbs are usually 100 watts)

if you do not have hid..
    check ebay for "h3 hid kit"
    or www.globalpremier.com

i would first get someone to measure the distance from the base of the headlamp to the end of the shield so you can get a measurement to see if the h3 rebased bulbs will fit... normally they will 99.9% of the time.

hope this helps.
  15. Offline

DistantXtremes Guest

Message Count:
    there is another set of projectors around for our cars... it reminds me of the black projectors that was on a black Sparco WRX years ago.
    [IMG]
    thats the projectors i was talking about-thats on a WRX.

the set for our car looks similiar and uses H7 bulbs for both low and High
    which are brighter then H3 bulbs....
    Mercedes uses the H7 for their High beams.
    i actually bought a pair of these projectors to see the beam pattern... i was curious..
    awesome flare on them....i might end up having to sell since i already have HID
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  16. Offline

Message Count:
    if/when i get these..ill probably just end up leaving the h3 bulbs in there and possibly getting h3 hid if its not bright enough. installing the h3 bulbs already installed on the assembly shouldnt be a big deal to connect to the harnesses on our car already right?
  17. Offline

DistantXtremes Guest

Message Count:
    thats correct.
    if you need advice or help, ill be happy to assist you

:D
  18. Offline

Message Count:
    thanks for all the replys! ill surely ask you questions if i have trouble if i get those lights
  19. Offline

DBurcombe Guest

Message Count:
    well, I still have those lights in the box because:
    1. I've been too busy.
    2. I am still very uneducated in wiring and I don't want to ::snip snip:: any wires when I don't know what I'm doing.

Hey DistantXtremes,
    I'm going to keep the h3's in the lights I got. What kind of slicing/parts/tools do I need to connect these to my car's existing wiring harness.
    Thanks for any help
  20. Offline

Message Count:
    so just something like this?
    red wire off light --> toggle switch --->12v source
    black wire off light --> ground

ive been reading around and it says itd be better to use fuses and relays and what not. how would help and be integrated into the wiring diagram?