1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine New 2004 Corolla XRS

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by tom, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    Would have to agree w/u on this one ... A supercharger may get more whp and torque, but I'm pretty sure that the XRS will still be a superior handling machine. The aftermarket that will be huge for this car.
  2. Offline

KingKuei Guest

Message Count:
    The closer gear ratios would definitely be a benefit to some people who do certain types of racing. And don't look down on its 170hp either. That power is being made at the upper end of the power band all the way to redline at 7800rpm. Depending on the kind of racing you're doing, you can extract significantly more power and performance from the XRS than the current gen. Corollas if you can keep the revs up. And while the power and redline are slightly lower than the Celica GT-S, it seems that Toyota has chosen to retune the Corolla XRS to be more practical as a daily driver.

And as was mentioned, the TRD Supercharger adds considerable weight to the engine. While it does provide good torque and hp at lower RPMs, it still can't compare to a 2ZZ that's high-revving. That means that a 1ZZ Corolla could take out the XRS in a straight drag (which is pretty boring IMO), but it would most likely lose to the high-revving beast of a 2ZZ in the corners. And as was mentioned, the 4-wheel disc brakes are definite advantage for the 2ZZ when it comes to braking at the corners, the new Yamaha strut brace looks kinda interesting, and the 6-speed transmission means it's well-suited for nearly every racing sport other than drag.

EDIT: If you want to get mad at Toyota, get mad about the Scion line. Have you all seen the Scion tC? Mother of God that thing is gorgeous. And the Supercharger for it will be available within less than 6 months after its release. And on top of that, it's got a 2.4-liter engine. Can anyone say "turbo"? The aftermarket for the Scion tC is gonna be huge...
  3. Offline

js10coastr Guest

Message Count:
    YAMAHA STRUT BRACE?!?!?!

Holy crap, I want one of those. The Yam rocks my socks.
  4. Offline

KingKuei Guest

Message Count:
    Well the Corolla XRS has nearly the same chassis with the exception of the different engine mounts for the 2ZZ. I see no reason why the Yamaha wouldn't fit in the current gen. Corollas.
  5. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    The newer cars are getting better and better. It looks like that's the trend now. I checked out the new Scion tC and sure enough, you get a 2.4L 160 hp with compression ratio of 9.6:1

Reminds me of when I was still driving my 95 Altima. Had similar specs so I know how the new Scion matches up. Pretty fast little car...
  6. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    plus its got a nice Pioneer 160 watt sound system and XM radio ready
  7. Offline

bzzsan Guest

Message Count:
    the s/c weighs less than 30 lbs
  8. Offline

KingKuei Guest

Message Count:
    The engine weighs 259 lbs. Adding an additional 30 lbs (increase of nearly 12%) is no laughing matter.
  9. Offline

Tro1086 Guest

Message Count:
    Ya but 30lbs to the whole car isnt much at all. And dosnt the 2ZZ motor weigh more then the 1ZZ anyway? Plus the 6 spd tranny prolly weighs more the the 5 spd too.

I bet the stock XRS would still weigh more then any Supercharged 5 spd CE. And im willing to bet that a SC CE 5 spd would give that XRS a good run for its money. I think someone said the XRS will go for arround $19,995 or somewhere right arround there, so ill just say an even $20,000. And a CE 5 spd would cost you $14,000, and you could probably find one even cheaper then that without much trouble. So you buy a CE, take the $6000 diffrence and use that money to mod the car. Buy a SC for arround $3500. That leaves you still with $2500 dollars to mod the car, add some suspension parts and some more performance parts like exhaust and other stuff. Ide say that would leave you with one fine XRS killer. Not to mention sales tax, insurance, registration and plates would probably be a lot cheaper on a CE then it would be on an XRS. So that gives you even more money to play with. And personally, I dont even like the front bumper, or the fog lights on the XRS. So IMO the XRS isnt really all its cracked up to be, for the same price you could turn a CE into an XRS killer.

just my 2 cents
    Trevor
  10. Offline

lostboy New Member

Message Count:
    that's not fair ... you have to take an S price and compare it to the xrs ... being that they come with power windows and rims and sunroofs fully loaded and all. Obviously the CE is way cheaper ... about 2k cheaper ... so it leaves you with 500k for suspension parts ...

still 4 wheel disc brakes looks better and the abs i think is a good thing ... i don't know about you guys but when i'm about to collide with something the last thing on my mind is "pump the brakes" but maybe that's just me.

The steering would be a bonus. Stiffer would be better and more responsive would be great ... corolla seems loose to me.

damn the tc is the same price as the xrs ... and the tc comes with 2.4L engine ... gated shift ... more leg room ... looks pretty good to me... and 17 inch rims and all (although i didn't like the rims) weighs about 2700-2800 pounds ... how much does our car weigh?
    and has more torque than hp .... :) that's the way to make a car .. .with torque ... i don't race but i love low end torque ... i'm rarely above 4500rpm
  11. Offline

js10coastr Guest

Message Count:
    1zz-fe = 225 lbs (according to Jack Yamaguchi in an SAE article)
    2zz-ge = 253 lbs (from technical paper)

I'd have to look at dyno runs of each and see which powerplant has the largest area under the curve before making any conclusions on straight line accel.

I'm still sticking to the XRs handling and braking better. There's a lot more to suspension and brake mods than throwing a new kit on it.
  12. Offline

AESC Guest

Message Count:
    looked at the xrs at the auto show the front is a different bumper and the grill is better than stock but the rest of the effects are from the S, the interior is grey and the dash is blacked out i couldnt reach inside to turn on the lights to see the dash but i got a few pics. the rims look better than the stock 15's but would have been better if they used the trd springs its somewhere between the trd and stock

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  13. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    oh my god, it looks exactly like the 03 Corolla. Go figure. I Should get the XRs emblem and put it on my 03. Can't tell a difference besides such a minor upgrade from the bumper. I hardly think anyone will notice the difference.
  14. Offline

ph0bi4 Guest

Message Count:
    unless they're driving
  15. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    I'll bet that 40 extra horsepower will make a difference in the new XRs. Can't wait to put on the DC Sports headers and TRD supercharger. Then we'll see how it competes with XRs . I went ahead and purchased a short ram K&N (Typhoon) intake already. K&N said that they saw no need to make a CAI for the Corolla because there is no gain in performance. So they stuck with just the short air intake. I hear so many good things about their air filter being so good and how it sucks more air into the engine. There is some benefit to a short ram intake, but I forgot what it was. The thing that I sacrafice is the cooler air. I'm still stuck with the TRD muffler though, which kind of ruined my cat-back plans. I'll probably have to change out the muffler and get a canister system, stainless steel cat-back exhaust through DC Sports to go along with the headers.
  16. Offline

rolla_dink Guest

Message Count:
    Corolla vs. Scion tC Pounds/HP ratio

Actually, when you do the calculations, the pounds/hp ratio is the same for the tC and the Corolla S when both of them are N/A or supercharged. Nevertheless, I told my wife had I waited 'til this year, I'd probaby would have ended up with the tC. It comes decked out I hear.
  17. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    You're incorrect about the short-ram intake vs a CAI. The only (performance) advantage a short arm/ram has over a CAI is the absence of potential hydrolock. A CAI is superior in every way. You noted "The thing that I sacrafice is the cooler air". Remember, cooler air = denser air/fuel charge = more power.

Read this article that Meth wrote (posted in the FAQ's section) on the differences between short-arm/ram and CAI. You'll note that this thread reinforces my opinion in every way...