1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Need help with terms please!!!

Discussion in 'Truck & SUV' started by guarddog32, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Offline

guarddog32 New Member

Message Count:
    Need help please with terms!!!

Hi all, couple of questions as I am a first time truck buyer and want to know what I am getting. :superconf:superconf

I am either going to buy a Toyota Tundra with the SR5 package on it or the TRD package and I wanted to know what the difference is between the two. The truck I will be getting will be built in the 2000's.

I read something about the TRD being actually only driven by 2 wheels, the drivers front and the passenger rear. How could this be if it is a 4wd truck???

Also, I read that toyotas 4wd is part time 4wd and cant be used on dry pavement. What does "part time" mean and how would you activate 4wd in rain/snow/offroad etc. Also just curious why you cant use it on dry pavement.

Thanks SO much in advance for any help you can give, MUCH appreciated. :D:D:D
  2. Offline

Salty_Dog Old Fart

Message Count:
    SR-5 refers to the Trim Level. During this era, Tundras came in 3 trim levels: Base, SR-5, and Limited.

The TRD package is a option package for off-road use. The TRD package includes heavier springs, shocks, sway bars, and off-road tires.
  3. Offline

guarddog32 New Member

Message Count:
    What about the 4wd question??? What do they mean when they say that only 2 tires drive the truck when off road???
  4. Offline

Salty_Dog Old Fart

Message Count:
    Not sure who told you that, but it sounds like B.S.
  5. Offline

guarddog32 New Member

Message Count:
    And what is toyotas "part time 4wd" and why cant it be used on dry ground???
  6. Offline

Salty_Dog Old Fart

Message Count:
    It's not designed for full-time use.

You might want to pose your question on www.tundrasolutions.com
  7. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    ok i THINK that the 4wd is part time because you have to manually tell your truck to go into 4wd, and there is like a gearshift lever for it. where all wheel drive is all the time and you cant turn it off. i dont think its dirven by drivers front and passenger rear, its RWD unless you switch it to 4WD then it will be all the wheels . i think they dont recommend using 4wd on dry pavement is because it can wear out your differential faster there is no need to if its dry anyway.

so
    awd = all the time
    4wd = have to switch into.
  8. Offline

DeebsTundra Big Tires :)

Message Count:
    A variable transfer case is usually now-a-days driven by a chain. The transfer case is what you either engage or disengage to enable or disable 4WD. AWD are built a little bit sturdier than a vehicle equipped with a variable transfer case, thus they tell you not to use 4WD on dry pavement due to wearing it out faster. (There's no need for it anyways.)

I'm not sure who told you the tundra only runs 2 wheels in 4WD but that is false. Cuz I've done tons of 4 wheel rooster tails thru the snow. :D Semi's with 2 drive axles operate that way though. With the differential unlocked, the drive is only the passenger front and driver rear tires.
  9. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    part time 4wd also means that it is 4x2 until you switch into 4wd. the rear wheels power the truck in 4x2. the 4wd should be a shift on the fly kind of thing. you will need to read the manual, but there is probably a certain speed the 4wd should be used under and/or shifted under. that is how it is done on my fj. i can only be going 55 and under to shift into 4hi.
  10. Offline

Message Count:
    I've been trying to figure out why the name CyberBilly sounds so familiar. ...because I first saw it over on Tundrasolutions.com. Gotcha. :D

Also iKon is right. The term "part-time four wheel drive" means you can switch back and forth between two and four wheel drive modes. Shift on the fly means you can switch into 4WD while moving. If I'm in 4WD I'm typically not running much over 50 (highway) but I know to go from 2WD to 4WD you cannot be going faster than 55 I believe.

Switching from 4-HI to 4-LO you have to be stopped though. It's push button on my dash, but I still have to come to a complete stop to get into 4-LO. (Which is pretty low, 8 mph at 3100 rpm)
  11. Offline

Salty_Dog Old Fart

Message Count:
    The one and only! It's just that in my other life I drive a Rolla. :D
  12. Offline

YamahaTundraV8 New Member

Message Count:

yea he is better knowen as cyberbully from our Myrdle beach trip a few year's back. Andy you had to have been there Dinner at Logans was free consiring how large our group was and the hot chick was deemed to be Bitched at (roll eyes)

The 4wd on the Tundra is part time (two speed transfer case) I do like my 2009 Seq which is full time 4wd and has noticable gains on traction.I used 4wd yesterday on the seq when Atlanta had it's first real snow fall and it seem better planted vs the Tundra.

Erik

Ps Andy give me a ring..
  13. Offline

shubert_ae102 New Member

Message Count:
    sup bro , let me thread jack for a second . i see your in ATL , as so am i . now i drive a corolla , but am trying to get a toyota owners club going here in atl. where abouts are you in atl? pm me bro.

now back to the regularly scheduled program.

sorry.
  14. Offline

Message Count:
    Atlanta Meet

Sorry on the late reply Usually not on here that much I have a Tundra/Toyota meet at Dave and Buster if your intrested in Joining my crew.
    Tundraheadquaters.com will be posting this event as well and give tee shirts etc..group meet is planned April 25 ,2009 your more then welcome to join us.

Erik
    Link on Ts..
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/southeast/158035-atlanta-meet-and-greet-2/
  15. Offline

Message Count:
    Wow, Necro a thread much?
  16. Offline

Message Count:

Andy who's Necro i did look it up "Necro may refer to:. necro-, the Greek prefix meaning death "

Oh yea did i mention i picked up a 4.7 liter Trd Supercharger It's sitting in my garage right now..