1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Need help with 01-02 front lip

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by wasabinuts2go, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Offline

wasabinuts2go BeeP BEEP!

Message Count:
    Need help with 01-02 front lip

I recently got a 01-02 front lip, but the problem is that there is a 1/2 inch crack.... should i use bondo to fix it?

I know a couple of people have the front lip but i wanted to ask you guys did your lip come with drilled holes?

My lip didn't come with drilled holes and i have some type of idea where to drill it, but please reply back explaining where you drilled the holes for your lip.

oh yea.... did you guys get it professionally painted or diy with gloss black etc paint... what kinda paint do you guys prefer.... ?
  2. Offline

Phan Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    1985 Maxima Blue RIP, 2000 Corolla White SOLD, 1993 300zx Conv. Pearl White DD, 2004 350z Roadster Pearl White DD
    what is the front lip made of?

paint it yourself, get Duplicolor, set up a tent or paint it in your garage and remember to use safety gear (Respitory Mask, full eye cover googles)
  3. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    Bondo is only body filler. It has no flex or strength whatsoever. Use fiberglass. That's what I used to repair the hole in my front bumper. I also used Duplicolor for the bumper, but for the lip, I used engine enamel in black. NEVER paint over enamel paint with acrylic or acrylic paint with enamel. It will peel and you will have to start all over from scratch. Make sure you sand with a coarse sandpaper down to the material and move into finer and finer sandpaper. I started sanding by hand with 80 grit and ended with wet sanding with 800 grit. If you're sanding a fiberglassed area, use a electric sander. If you power sand a little too much, you can use bondo to fill in the volume. No worries since the fiberglass will be the support. The bondo won't have any stress on it since it's only cosmetic. Hand sand until smooth and even with your lines. Put the lip on a stand or sawhorse. Do a few coats of even primer. I'm assuming you're going to use a rattle can so you should be around 6 inches away from the lip at all times. Never lay heavy on the nozzle in the same area. If you have to spray the same area over and over, use light and short bursts allowing time for the paint to dry a bit. Depending on the color that you want to paint it, you'll want to choose from white, gray, and black primer. Light colors warrant white primer. Dark with black primer and intermediate colors with gray. Wait for the primer to set. Feel the lip and make sure the primer is on smooth. If still a little rough to the touch, wet sand with an extremely fine grit(1000-2000) it until it is smooth. Be careful not to take off too much primer. Spray the lip with the color you want using the same method above. If rough, wet sand with 1000-2000 grit. Dry and polish. Done. The more time you take to prep with sanding, the smoother the lip will turn out. You won't have any paint blemishes or dull spots when the sun hits the lip at an angle. Good luck!
  4. Offline

rainbow_star New Member

Message Count:
    Is it ok to wetsand primer???
  5. Offline

Phan Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    1985 Maxima Blue RIP, 2000 Corolla White SOLD, 1993 300zx Conv. Pearl White DD, 2004 350z Roadster Pearl White DD
    i don't see why not, just don't use a high level sandpaper
  6. Offline

wasabinuts2go BeeP BEEP!

Message Count:
  7. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    You want to use a high grit sandpaper. LOL That's the point. You mean don't use a low grit sandpaper to wet sand. :)

hahaha LOL :D That's a first for me. :rule: No drink needed. Just show pics when it's done. :)

You can use 3M industrial double sided sticky tape to mount it to the bottom of the bumper and then use screws to mount it to the bumper itself on the ends. I would suggest self-tapping screws and removing the bumper when you do it. Just make sure it's on straight before you drill. :)