1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine My ram air intake vs stock air box with K&N.....???

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by ghoztrider, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Offline

AE102 New Member

Message Count:
    lol you live close to there?
    hell i bet it does sound mean, thats the only True CAI for you northern fools :D even ram air intakes would be cold :p

one issue, when it rains.
  2. Offline

ghoztrider New Member

Message Count:
    ya i was thinking that too, if it rains ur screwed
  3. Offline

SinGularity New Member

Message Count:
    speed holes lol
  4. Offline

statik New Member

Message Count:
    I do live in Alaska! North Pole Alaska. :D

Hm. So if you put a hood scoop on and direct the air into the intake your screwed when it rains? What about a WRX, what happens to the water? (sorry I'm clueless)
  5. Offline

renfield90 New Member

Message Count:
    The WRX's hoodscoop isn't an intake. It's meant for cooling of the engine.

Almost all hoodscoops are meant for that, and usually their location or the space in the engine bay makes it impractical to set that up as an intake. Plus, what would you do when you popped your hood? And even if you could get it to work, chances are the piping would be so crazy that you would negate some of the gains from ram air and you'd certainly be losing some power from a dead stop.
  6. Offline

statik New Member

Message Count:
    I need an education on hood scoops. :) I guess I am misinterpreting what I see with a WRX. It appears that the air filter is right under the hood scoop. Yes, I'm totally clueless. Is that not really an air filter, but an intercooler ontop of the T/B or intake manifold?

I'm a bit off topic.. sorry.

Back on topic; From the research I've done the 1zzfe stock engine needs a somewhat restricted air intake, such as stock. The CAI will boost your mid range power, but take away from your low range power. Adding a K&N air filter to a stock setup will increase gains in lower and middle power ranges.

Vamp has removed his air resonator box, made it into a ram air intake, and kept a stock air box. That sounds like a good balance.
    It's in his DIY section under engine mods.
    http://vamp.darkravers.net/Domain.cfm

Thats just the info that I've come across...
  7. Offline

gotarheels03 New Member

Message Count:
    yes the "thing" on top of the engine is the intercooler on the WRX. Top mount intercoolers arent as efficient as front-mounts though, so thats one of the 1st mods WRX owners do.

back on topic, I dont think a SRI is worth it, with the underhood temps you're actually going to lose power, It probably flows better, but the air is definately hotter. Best options IMO are a CAI or Stock box w/ K&N drop in.
  8. Offline

Rolla95 Rollin' Out y0

Message Count:

i was just gonna say that, but u beat me to it
  9. Offline

Bones New Member

Message Count:
    You can get insulating wrap for the intake tube. I've seen it in JC Shitney, but I'm sure you can also use exhaust wrap, or get it powder coated.