1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

My '93 Corolla From New Zealand

Discussion in '7th Gen' started by Sharpshooter, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
  2. Offline

cBass buffalo bell lover

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    2005 Corolla XRS
  3. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
  4. Offline

James Bullshit Police

Message Count:
    ZZE110, MA70, JZA70, AE92 GT-S x2, xB with a rollcage, 900 ft-lb Dodge Ram
    Owwwwned!

Also, ^1234! :awyeah:
  5. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Sucks for the donut
  6. Offline

cBass buffalo bell lover

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    2005 Corolla XRS
  7. Offline

James Bullshit Police

Message Count:
    ZZE110, MA70, JZA70, AE92 GT-S x2, xB with a rollcage, 900 ft-lb Dodge Ram
    Oh Reginald ~
  8. Offline

Goldy Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    somehow, something tells me you'd have the most dislikes.... lol

nope, no one EVER :troll:
  9. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Thats right.
  10. Offline

Goldy Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Meowth,
  11. Offline

Sharpshooter Full Throttle

Message Count:
    I installed this sweet looking Tomei fuel pressure regulator today. I had always assumed that fuel pressure regulators were only beneficial for turbocharged engines, until I came across a post online about a fellow Blacktop owner who had installed a FPR, played around with the pressure setting and had great results.

The factory fuel pressure for a Blacktop is 40psi at full throttle, and raising it to 44psi seems to be the sweet spot for the ECU as it doesn't affect the top end performance and doesn't seem to affect the fuel economy. After my first initial drive once I had finished the installation I was very impressed at how much of a difference the additional 4psi of fuel pressure had made. The sluggishness down low had gone and the throttle response had increased dramatically. The engine now responds when I want it to, instead of having to wind itself up from low to mid rpm like it used to.

All in all it has definitely made the engine rev more freely and respond a lot quicker. It's now a lot more fun to drive, especially around town. Proved to be a very worthwhile upgrade :)

The set-up consists of:

* Genuine Tomei Type S fuel pressure regulator.
    * Genuine Tomei liquid filled gauge.
    * Genuine Tomei fuel rail adapter.
    * Goodyear fuel hose & 4mm silicone vacuum hose.
    * 2x 90-degree brass elbow fittings, 1x straight fitting.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  12. Offline

Goldy Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Cool toys! It just goes to show that there is room for improvement, even in a Toyota.
  13. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Theres always room for improvement, I mean look at ferraris, SUV status.
  14. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Damn that's tasty.
  15. Offline

Message Count:
    Haha, yeah there's always little ways to tweak the performance a little. Toyota did a fantastic job at getting it right the first time though, but with advances in technology since the late 90's there's always a way to squeeze out a little more performance :D

I've been toying around with the idea of shorter trumpets/ram tubes lately as the engine bay heat being sucked into my open 110mm tubes wasn't doing the performance any favors. I reverted back to the standard curved rubber trumpets for a few weeks and even though the car felt a little more sluggish, the engine much preferred the nice cold air it was ingesting from the cold air intake.

Curiosity got the better of me and I decided to remove the rubber trumpets and run no trumpets whatsoever inside the plenum for just one day. The result was that the engine didn't really have any power down low, but as soon as it hit 5,500rpm the needle rocketed to redline, as expected. One thing I noticed with the factory rubber trumpets is that they're good for mid-range power, but once you get higher up in the rev range the power starts backing off a bit.

To cut a long story short (no pun intended), I decided to get a set of 60mm trumpets custom made which will fit perfectly in the standard plenum. You can actually fit as large as 70mm inside the plenum but it starts getting pretty cramped, so I decided that 60mm would be a nice compromise.

They arrived today and I was quick to install them. Upon my 20-minute test drive I noticed that the power down low had dropped off a bit, but up high it was all guns blazing. The full power band comes on from about 5,000rpm, all the way to 8,000rpm, which I discovered ends up being a good place to be as the engine is constantly in it's power band for the next gear when shifting at the 8,000rpm redline.

It's certainly going to take a bit of getting used to, but so far so good. I'm going to miss the sound my 110's made, and the torquey-ness of the standard trumpets, but when driving the engine at it's full potential the 60's seem to be a good choice :)

As always, here's some pics. The first 4 show the comparison between the old 110's and the new 60's, and the very last photo was taken by the metal spinner who made my trumpets, showing the clearance of a 50mm trumpet inside the stock plenum (essentially the same sort of clearance as my 60mm ones) -

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  16. Offline

Goldy Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Interesting how much difference that can make!
  17. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    I've always heard that the size of the trumpets is always important. I always thought it was just talk lol
  18. Offline

Message Count:
    Yeah the science behind it is quite amazing, although the mathematics behind figuring out which size is the most ideal is far too complex for me so I prefer to test them for myself and let my right foot do the research :D

Ok guys, change of plans yet again.......After using the 60mm trumpets all day today I began to miss my old 110mm trumpets. Although the 60's are great up top, it just felt like there was nobody home whatsoever under 5,000rpm, and since 90% of my driving is in the city this started to get on my nerves......

So off came the plenum, along with the trumpets, and an idea popped into my head. Some of you may recall that I bought a splash guard from the US for the trumpets a while back. I used it for about a week and then took it off, but today I was thinking of ways to prevent heat from entering the trumpets if I reinstalled my 110's, when it suddenly occurred to me that I could try and flip the guard upside down, effectively turning it from a splash guard into a heat shield. To my surprise, everything lined up perfectly and it cleared the strut brace with no issues.

Before going ahead with the install I removed the original 2-layer metal gasket from the stock plenum and put it between the ITB's and the shield. This not only allowed the holes to locate perfectly over the intake ports but should also help to act as a heat barrier between the ITB's and the actual trumpets.

After bolting everything in place and redoing my air supply feed (removing the pod filter from the guard and replacing it with a huge bellmouth) I finished the set-up by applying a TRD sticker I've had lying around for a while. It seems to break up the grayness a bit, without looking out of place.

The first drive was amazing - My mid-range power was back in full force and the induction noise was like music to my ears (I swear it has gotten even louder since fitting the shield). My original problem of having no filtration still remains, however the trumpets feel a lot cooler to touch after driving as the shield helps to deflect a lot of the heat away. It'll never be immune to engine bay heat without the use of a plenum, but with the help of this mod it should help to keep things in check :)

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    MacktasticSlick likes this.
  19. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Smart dude! I'm coming to you for help if I ever drop one of these in my car.
  20. Offline

Goldy Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Mack, you broke the pics! :waa:

Photobucket sucks sucks sucks. Get Flickr Scott! Your car deserves it.
  21. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    They worked yesterday for me lol. Bandwidth exceeded!
  22. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Looks damn sexy
  23. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Pics are up again.
  24. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Sweet niggering niggity
  25. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Gonna mod that post. Scott doesn't like the language in his thread
    :troll:
  26. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    :fyeah: Is he black?
  27. Offline

Message Count:
    Haha, no, far from black :p

Couple of small updates - I installed a Carbing front lower arm bar (also know as a tie bar) today. Carbing is a Japanese company that have been around since the late 70's, specializing in aftermarket suspension parts. The bar itself is surprisingly light and the installation only took about 15-minutes.

It's designed to improve steering response and reduce chassis flex, however it's effectiveness is somewhat questionable as the subframe acts as a pretty decent brace on it's own, but after my initial test drive on the same stretches of roads I travel every day the steering response did seem a bit sharper and the cornering more stable. It bolts to the front of the lower control arm, which theoretically should help stop the joints flexing in their cradles when cornering.

The other thing I installed today is a TRD radiator cap. I bought one a while ago but it was the S type, which was unfortunately too small for my aftermarket aluminium radiator. This one on the other hand is an N type, and fit perfectly. It has a higher boiling point than my previous cap (1.1 vs 1.3) and looks pretty sweet at the same time.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    MacktasticSlick likes this.
  28. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    That's what she said.
  29. Offline

Goldy Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    I know that feel :oops:
  30. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    I don't think you'll know the feel of a she ever saying anything.
    Sharpshooter likes this.