1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Motors dying out

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by Liquidgsr, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Offline

Liquidgsr Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Motors dying out

So I think my ringlands are fried and I will either need to overhaul my engine from my 99 corolla or drop a new motor in. The car is hesitating really bad and there is oil around the spark plugs constantly. I was wondering what goes into swapping in a 01-02 motor? Really rather put that in because its a stronger motor and will last longer. Any ideas of how much they go for from the junk yard and if possible what needs to be done to swap in a 01-02 motor?
  2. Offline

whydontyouchoos KFM

Message Count:
    go with an 03 plus block, and a 00-02 ECU if you dont want to change out your gauges... thats what im running and the 03 hardly have the oil consumption issues of the 00-02 1ZZs
  3. Offline

JDMjody VVTLi > VTEC

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    04 Celica GTS
    junk yards socal run about 300 bucks.
    my old S engine blew coz the oil thing. most shops charge somewhere around 1500 to do it. NEW 1zz are expensive. get used one and replace the rings/machine block. you'll be good.
  4. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    1500? try 3000.

you can get a rebuilt one from monkeywrench for about 1000...thats completely rebuilt with internals and everything.
  5. Offline

Message Count:
    Yeah I ment a used one not a brand new one. Wow thats a lot of money going into the car. Might not even be worth putting another engine into it. does the 03 drop right in and all I need to do is get the ECU or is there a ton of wiring and what not to do also?
  6. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    good luck finding a brand spanking new one...gently used (20k and above) were going for 1500...and 20k or less miles were 3000
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    yeah I ment to say used. Even something with 80k would be fine as long as it does not have a oil consumption problem and doesn't hesitate like my current motor is doing.
  8. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    search around on the forums for when i was having my engine problems....someone posted a link with the used/newused 1zzs
  9. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    I'd just rebuild the block if it was me...

gaskets, rings, resurfaced sleeves... maybe bigger pistons if they don't fit snuggly in the resurfaced sleeves
  10. Offline

Message Count:
    Yeah I will have to take it to the mechanic this weekend and have it checked out to see how bad it is.
  11. Offline

DrunkSaru Unsuspecting Poo Flinger

Message Count:
    replace head cover gaskets/gaskets around spark plugs. get new sparks just incase, and clean your injectors.
  12. Offline

whydontyouchoos KFM

Message Count:
    i dropped an 03 engine in no problems, hooked up to my 00 ECU and worked perfectly fine. On a side note i have some bad pictures to upload that there might be an engine and a lot of parts put up soon :(
  13. Offline

JDMjody VVTLi > VTEC

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    04 Celica GTS
    you got shafted then. lol
    but i got lucky with new motor 1500. labor and other parts it came out to 3300. clutch, flywheel, water pump, etc etc. at least i got a 100k warrenty :)
  14. Offline

Message Count:
    Yeah I put in new spark plugs. I might just pull the valve cover off this weekend and go to the dealer and get the gaskets for them and the valve cover and see if that helps. I don't think the oil getting into the cylinder can make it hesitate that bad, but who knows. I am definately not dropping over 1000 into car. Rather just drive it until it dies and get something else. Car isn't worth that much money anyways.
  15. Offline

xplicitcorolla99 Active Member

Message Count:
    just drop a 98-99 motor and keep on doing it til you get tired of driving it and sale it.
  16. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    when did you do yours? because i can guarantee you it wasnt a brand new motor, since they stopped producing them.