1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Meguire's 1,2,3 step...

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by Ares, May 24, 2009.

1. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    Meguire's 1,2,3 step...

Who has used it? I found some at some car accessories store over here...

Also, its on another thread here but did anyone mention that NXT ver1 is better than NXT ver2?
  2. Offline

Mayur Biggest trd whore in the whole wide world

Message Count:
    The 1,2,3 step stuff isn't bad. Use the NXT wax though and clay beforehand as well. I assume you're working by hand?

<---Meguiar's fanboy :p
  3. Offline

rolla02 Corollalcholic

Message Count:
    NXT wax sucks....I tried it for the first time after I clay bar and hated it. I actually redid the clay bar and then did the 1,2,3 step.

I am a Meguiars whore btw....
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    #21 Synthetic Wax FTW followed up with #26 Yellow Wax for good measure :D

I've got a tin of #16 which has long been discontinued in the U.S. Paid $30 for it from Canada and my brother decides to open it up and mess with it rendering it useless now.
  5. Offline

DrunkSaru Unsuspecting Poo Flinger

Message Count:
    1,2,3 is okay Step 1 basically helps take off old wax (this step can be skipped if you claybar the car thoroughly), Step 2 polish will polish up a little. Its more like minimally removing the oxidation. Will not remove any swirls. If it does, I can't see it. Step 3 is just the traditional meguiars blend of carnuba wax.

I've also used Mothers 3 step detail process and I think its just about the same as Meguiars. Here are the following differences I have seen. Step 1 - same as meguiars so bleh. step 2. unlike meguiars, it will actually give the appearance of getting rid of swirls (although the bad news is the product is covering up the swirls since there really isn't any heavier cutting agents compared to meguiars polish. Step 3, I prefer mothers version a bit more. Mothers version can get a thicker coat and still a nice shine with less coats than meguiars. With Meguiars, you have to almost double the coats to equal what mothers gives you. This WAS the reason why I was a big mothers fan for a long time.

However, I now use strictly meguiars when I want to perfectly detail. These are the following steps I use to do my twice a year detail to my car.
    Step 1 - use dish washer soap to get all the crud off (same thing that the step 1 of mothers or meguiars does except faster **will not recommend if your clear coat is gone and your paint has been exposed to shit).
    Step 2 - Claybar (here i usually use meguiars since the detailer spray from mothers is a bit strong in smell for me, especially when working in the garage.
    Step 3 - Use M205 polish and my rotary or DA to give it a nice shine (used to use 83 but 205 is so much better. also gets rid of swirls very easily)
    Step 4 - Use M21 2.0 or NXT 2.0 wax (both are the same thing basically except from my understanding, the M21 2.0 is tweaked so one can use a rotary if they wanted.) I will apply about 3-4 thin coats working panel by panel waiting about 10-15 min inbetween per coats
    Step 5 - spray and wipe with detailer to make sure i have wiped off all the excess wax and then afterwards letting it cure for 12 hours on a warm day, 18 hours on a cool day.

this process usually takes the whole day so wheels and tires, and the interior I work on the next day. :)
  6. Offline

Message Count:
    Never ever use dish soap to wash your car, sure it strips all the coatings but it also takes the necessary oils out of the paint. If you want to strip all previous coatings off car, you need to use a clay bar, no professional detailer will ever recommend using dish soap.
  7. Offline

1998project New Member

Message Count:
    I used the Meguiars clay system, and after I finish with Race Glaze products polish and sealer. BY FAR the best polish I have ever used is The Race Glaze. Takes out fine scratches and swirl marks. You will not be disappointed in this stuff..

You can get it at bodyshop supply stores and e-bay.. Its like $25 at body supply stores and $20 on e-bay shipped..

EDIT: In fact I just bought some from e-bay right now.. I was almost out..
  8. Offline

Message Count:
    No professional will recommend because most people don't understand how dish soap can effect your car over time. BTW, your quote on oils is not out of the paint. Paint has no oils since its protected by clear. However what i'm sure you were trying to say is dish soap can take out oils from certain trims, plastics, rubber, vinyl, etc which if used often, it can degrade the quality and life. I know plenty of professional who use dish soap but whenever they use it when I was around as a child, they always said "don't do this with your car" which i never really understood until I began washing my own car many years later and began researching.
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    Clear coat is paint, it just has no pigmentation making it clear.
  10. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I have the worst luck from Meguires, all the crap I buy from them blows. Mother is a bit better tho.
  11. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    thanks guys...
  12. Offline

wasabinuts2go BeeP BEEP!

Message Count:
    I use the mother's clay bar + black magic liquid wax , oh and can't forget about the microfiber towels! ;)
  13. Offline

Message Count:
    i didn't know which old thread to resurrect so i am resurrecting this one. Well Anyone who lives in southern California knows that its always sunny here and very rarely will it rain. well its been raining harder than usual for the past few days lots of accidents but that's not the reason I'm posting. I'm posting because I just wanted to say I stand by meguiars current products. I use Meguiars nxt tech 2.0 sealant and the water just beads off like crazy. I drive the car on the freeway for a little while and when i go park somewhere i keep getting the question asked by some stranger "dude did you just wash your car?" so yeah.. I love Meguiars. I just need to now rainx my windows because my windows are dirty. haha.
  14. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
  15. Offline

94corolla-chafita uhh im a dude..

Message Count:
  16. Offline

RinconRolla98 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I use 1 & 2 then I get to tired to do 3 ...LMAO
  17. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    then there's no point to do 1 and 2.
  18. Offline

Message Count:
    1 is a cleaner and the 2 is the wax but 3 is just a polish .... :)
  19. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    That’s completely wrong and makes it even more useless.
    Step 1 is the cleaner which preps the surface for the polish
    Step 2 is the polish which provides the shine and fixes swirl marks by conditioning the paint
    Step 3 is the wax which protects all the work that was done in step 1 and 2.

Meguiar’s even labels the bottles with big numbers in yellow.
    Step 1
    Step 2
    Step 3
  20. Offline

Message Count: