1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

DIY MAF Sensor Cleaning

Discussion in 'Other DIY & Questions' started by Barnacules, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Offline

Mayur Biggest trd whore in the whole wide world

Message Count:
    Excellent. I tried it out on an electrical plug and I think I oversprayed. Anyways I cleaned the MAF on my car and my dads car. I let mine evaporate overnight and my dad was impatatient so his for an hour. I then took a q-tip and tried to gently wipe up any excess cleaner. Q-tip came out pretty dark so Im guess I did something right lol.
  2. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    what I recommend is part # 05102 on http://www.partsamerica.com dry's in less than 5 minutes and has no residue, also 1 can is probably good for at least 20 cleanings if it's covered in junk, or more like 50-100 if you do it regularly
  3. Offline

Barnacules 100101101011011

Message Count:
    In a pinch you can use Break Cleaner too :) I know because we did it on my dads old 96 minivan when it kept dieing when he floored it and low an behold the thing runs like a top now.
  4. Offline

phil4576 New Member

Message Count:
    i love threads like this
    any other little pm's like that anyone can share to help access little hp here and there and prolong the life of the car?
    ive heard some crap about seafoam cleaner and pvc valves, also switching spark plugs and gapping them differently
    anyone know stuff like that?
  5. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    well we already have iridium plugs so anything else would be a downgrade. however, if you live in a very hot or very cold climate you can switch to a slightly hotter or colder plug. and by cold environment I mean sub freezing most of the year or over 90 most of the year.
  6. Offline

10R New Member

Message Count:
    I just bought a can of CRC mass airflow sensor cleaner and proceeded to clean the sensor wires. Basically everything stated in this initial post by Barnacules explained exactly what happened with my car. I have about 80 thousand miles on my car and for the last 20 or 30 thousand miles my car has hesitated when I initially step on the gas quickly. I've tried cleaning the MAF sensor in the past, but I only cleaned the wire with the amber looking dot at the end of it. After looking at the images from the link in the initial post I located the 2 additional wires. Just like in Barnacules case, after spraying the wires with the cleaner they shrunk to about half the "dirty" diameter and were shiny silver. And now the hesitation is gone. My car is so much more fun to drive now! I highly recommend doing this if you have any wierd throttle response, idle, or get intermittent CELs.