1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Lower Grill Mesh Insert DIY

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by stinky, May 14, 2003.

1. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    jeez stinky, I've got a kid your age. He's got a Jetta. The traitor. So much for his allowance.

Zero, will try that way too. Thanks for all the help!
  2. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    I'm used to posting lots of pics at once so I dont do it that way. But for one pic that works fine too.

Yep Im pretty young. But I still have a wife and 2 kids. SO dont count me as a "punk" just yet
  3. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    Wasn't even thinking that. Awesome to have a family at 25. You'll still be young when they turn 18 and they ride off in thier own cars! Unless you do like I did and have ANOTHER one when you're 35...I'm gonna end up working until I'm friggin 60 to put this one thru college (the other two have already graduated).

My wife owns her own domain space, so eventually I'll start putting my pics there. Not sure how much space we'll end up upgrading to, she has her own business, but if there's any left I'd gladly share some with members here.
  4. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    Better view of the GutterGuard:

[IMG]
  5. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    looking good!

You know what I always wanted to do if I needed a license plate on the fron of my car like that?

I wanted to mount the plate over the lower grill part, put it at a slight angle down so the wind deflects under the car. I saw everyone in japan did that when I was over there. Alway though it was cool. I just like it better than having it mounted on the flat part of our bumper. Good thing I dont need one up front though!!

Good to see you are linking the pics right up now too. You have just evolved.
  6. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    Wife used to have a 97 Taurus. The wind would bend the license plate in half, bottom being under the front bumper. I started paying attention to other Taurus's that year, and they all did it. So I put a frame on it, problem solved.

Since the front plate on the rollas only held on by two bolts up top, and the bottom is swinging in the wind, I put a frame on it to keep it doing the same thing. I'm afraid if I don't keep it straight the jerkoff cops up here would ticket me for "non-display". It's a law up here, gotta have two plates.

Get this: you can't put a smoked, or even clear cover on your plates up here. The cops bounce the laser off your plates, and they say it interferes with it! Another case of "Live free or die". This from one of the few states left that doesn't have motorcycle helmet laws, or even a seat belt law for adults. Odd what they decide is important and what isn't.

Hey if I keep evloving, do ya think the hair on my knuckles will recede eventually? :lol:
  7. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    if your really lucky it will grow back into your knuckles then out the top of yuour head.

I'm thinning at 25 so I cant imagine what I will be like in another 10 years. Thats why I needed to get marrie fast, while I still looked my best. :lol:

Its funny what the cops think is important all the time. I know those clear plastic plate covers were originally marketed as "radar jammers" so I can see why cops dont like them. I find in the winter here a bunch of snow covering the plate on the car will work great for months to keep the photoradar tickets down.
  8. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    My Grandfather passed away at 75 yrs old with a full head of hair, my father is in his mid 60's, full head, I'm 43 and no thining yet (knock on wood). Got lucky in the gene pool on that count.

I'm going to buy a $300 winter beater car, and put my baby into hibernation during the winter months. Can't use the snow excuse, dangit. Wonder what effect just a layer of clear-coat paint would have on their laser guns? Hmmm...

Oh yeah, your magnets went out today. Ya'll have strange addresses up there. :roll:
  9. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    Ya my address comes from living in a trailer park.

what you need on the plate is something that will absorbe some of the lazer. A thin black film would be ideal I would guess. The problem is you never know what worked and what didnt. Unless you get pulled over you can ask the cop if they had a hard time getting your speed :lol:
  10. Offline

MikeyRolla Guest

Message Count:
    Well my pictures should come back tonight. You will get to see my corolla with the lower grill peice that we put in and the altis grill with a peice and my rear window visor. I did not use mesh on the grills I used a peice of stainless steel. Its a lot stiffer and pretty neat looking. And we made a bracket for the lower grill peice. That worked out real well. You can not budge the peice from the lower grill. More to come as I get pics.....
  11. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    cant wait to see the pics
  12. Offline

MikeyRolla Guest

Message Count:
    Sorry stinky it will be tongiht. I was having problems with photo shop to add the pics in
  13. Offline

MikeyRolla Guest

Message Count:
    Ok got my new pics up! Check out the pics section :D
  14. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
    I did my lower grill mesh a couple of days ago
    did it looks better than stock? 8)

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  15. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    ya dang skippy it does!
  16. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    Now you just gotta paint your grill to match your car color.
  17. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
    nah i will leave it in chrome, coz you know how the original grill has some chrome + silver color on it right
    also i think its a good contrast against the dark blue
  18. Offline

intel61 Guest

Message Count:
    Hey nice work guys! I'm looking to get mine done this weekend. Also alpha vvt-i, i have the same color as you, indigo ink, what color did u paint the grill? silver or chrome? ALso, i was wondering if any of you have found the lip spoiler that is on the TRD 03 Rolla's. I'm looking for that spoiler, and just some DIY's now, low on cash.
  19. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
    i didnt paint my lower mesh grill, it came with that chrome color already
    however, i painted the a bunch of very thin wires in indigo ink to hold the lower mesh in place
  20. Offline

intel61 Guest

Message Count:
    where did u buy the paint? a local paint store like home depot or auto parts store or where?
  21. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
    i got my paint from the dealer, it looks like a bottle of nail polish, costs around $8 US
    i also heard that the pen version is out
    go check with the dealer
    our color code is 8p4
  22. Offline

intel61 Guest

Message Count:
    sweet thanx, yea i had the color code
  23. Offline

intel61 Guest

Message Count:
    heres my car before the grill insert...
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    and the after pic
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

dont mind the bugs, they pissed me off
  24. Offline

Crazyness Guest

Message Count:
    Wow.. interesting.. that thing looks nice.. I think im gonna do that for my car!

Thanks for the info
  25. Offline

Yoda Guest

Message Count:
    has anyone tried using a different mesh for the lower grill...i'm curious to see how using the type of mesh that comes with the hood grill that hoolala on vvti.net sells will look on the lower grill. any pics or ideas?
  26. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
    good job intel, looks like your leaving it in silver as well :)
  27. Offline

intel61 Guest

Message Count:
    thanx alpha, i'm gonna paint my interior dash a dark blue today, gonna see how it comes out. I think it will be good, because the interior is already dark so navy will look good hopefully. will post pics when done
  28. Offline

SSJ_Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    Nice grill insert......I might do that later on 8)
  29. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
    lol now everyone is getting the grill insert to give the car a better look :D :lol: :twisted:
    its a good sign
  30. Offline

SSJ_Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    and because my Rolla is also Indigo Ink 8) hehe