1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Lights upgrade kit.

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by Jae, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    This upgrade kit will not change the way your lights turn on. So even though you use it you still cant have the fogs on unless the headlights are on. Also since most of the 03 corollas have DRL's you can never turn the headlight off anyway.

If you want just the fogs on you would need to do some rewiring.
  2. Offline

Jae Guest

Message Count:
    I talked to the dealer...

its about 120$ (canadian) for the Electrical Schematic Booklet that tells you exactly how all the lights and everything is wired.

So I am thinking of purchasing this book with 3 of my other friends that has 03 corollas too...

If anyone else is interested in chipping in to purchase it.

I can scan a copy onto the computer and send it to all those that has chipped in for the book.

Anyone want to?
  3. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    You could sell the scans of that book for $10 - $15 on Ebay and make all your money back.

Im not interested in paying for a wiring diagram book. I dont know if you have seen those, but they are harder to read than just looking at the wires under the hood. unless you have a problem a home made relay system is always esier.
  4. Offline

Jae Guest

Message Count:
    But distrubuting freely is "illegal" :)
  5. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    SO is putting higher wattage bulbs on your car. Or making it have more hp without telling the insurance company. Or lowering the ride without having a saftey inspection. But that doesnt stop most ppl.

I just wonder if you have actually seen what you will be getting?? those diagram booklets are very hard to read.

Plus whats the diff between selling us a scaned copy and selling a scanned copy on Ebay? There may be some interest in it.

Or you could put the scanbs up here in the FAQ or DIY section for all to see.
  6. Offline

minja714 Guest

Message Count:
    wait wait wait... this kit wont change the way the lights come up? I thought Jae said it will disable the day time running lights.

so basically... all this kit does is change the vottage from 55 to 110? thats it? cause I was really considering it to turn off the DRLs.
  7. Offline

Jae Guest

Message Count:
    There is a way to turn it off.

Just that I haven't found a way yet :(

My friend with a 98 Corolla did it... he turned off his DRL with this kit.

I want to know how he hooked it up thou. :)
  8. Offline

minja714 Guest

Message Count:
    JAE under "daylight Savings" trend

"Guess what boys!

I just installed the 9006 hi-grade upgrade kit onto my car

And I found a way to disable the DRL!

Turn it off and on, no problem at all!

But you have to get the kit, and install it a certain way! My shop did it and I tested it out already.. sick!

But i dont know, i kept the day light savings on right now. But next time I go back to the shop, I'll tell him to remove it totally because he didnt have a plug for me to (protect the original plug), but he said he'll get it next time.

Woo!

The kit is not that expensive either "

but you said that this kit works Jae, or was it a misunderstanding? help me out on this
  9. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    let me help you ALL out. I made my own home made relay kit work to shut of the DRL function. This is how it goes.

With this kit will be a connector that plugs into the existing light connector. All that does is allow a switching means for the new relay. SO instead of hooking it up there what you need to do is cut that connector off. then take the wire and connect it up to the wire for your side marker light. You need to test it first to see which one comes on when you click the lights ONE click on. When you find that out just tap right in there with it. It wont draw baerly any extra power, and your headlights will only come on when you turn your park lights on. It will aslo stay on when you click them all the way on too.

The only word of caution is that you be sure you have the correct wire to splice into. there will be 2 wires from that connector on the new wiring harness. You only want to cut one of them. If I could get my hands on one of Jays relay kits I can do a much better job of telling you how exactly to do it. Also if you splice into the wrong wire on your marker lights you will either

1) get nothing at all, no headlights turning on EVER

OR

2) Your headlights will blink whenever you turn your signal lights on and thats it.

SO be sure you splice in to the right ones!!

Also you are mistaken about the voltage to the lights. in the stock rom the lights are getting about 11 volts. this is slightly low because the wiring is VERY small and it goes for a LONG trip around the inside of the car before actually going to the headlights. By installing the relay kit you will make the DRL relay have absolulty no load at all on. That will allow you to run up to 150W bulbs if you wanted to without ruining your car. BUT it wioll also allow you to get the full 13.5 volts right off your battery to your bulbs. THAT is what makes them brighter. As a general rule any time you can get more power to ANY electrical system on your car it will run better. IE: Sterio, Amps, Lights....... EVRYTHING.

So in 1000 words I have been saying basically:

1) This kit will nto change the function of your lights when installed properly

2) it CAN be modified to make your DRL's off with NO brake warning light, and no modification to your brakes

3) it will make ANY bulbs glow slightly brighter

4) It will save you from ruining your DRL relay from running higher wattage bulbs.
  10. Offline

Jae Guest

Message Count:
    Couldn't have said it better myself :(

And to answer Ninja. The shop, when they installed it, did accidentally disable my DRL... so when I took it back and tested it with them, they couldn't figure out how they did it!

I enabled the DRLs back so I can take the before and after pics!

And now, I dont know how to disable it :(

But sooner or later, ill find a way.
  11. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    Jae if you can get me a pic of the connector that plugs into the stock headlight connector that is close enough to see detail OR just tell me what the 2 colors are I can tell everyone exactly how to do it. I would just need to go outside in the freezing cold to see what wire I spliced into and take a couple pics.
  12. Offline

minja714 Guest

Message Count:
    I'm pretty sure it does but I might as well ask anyways.. but this is going to viod our "light warrenty" or something huh? it is not going to be a significant warrenty will it?
  13. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    Actually by using this it should keep your warranty from voiding. I have taken my car to the dealer for my oil change 2 times now with my kit and they never say anything. this last time I even had the DRL's disabled and they are saposed to check the lichts. They still didnt say anything.

This will keep too much power from going through your regular OEM light relay harness, so in a sense it will save it from EVER burning out. You should never have a warranty issue with your lights in the first place AS LONG as you use this type of relay system with ANY aftermarket bulbs.
  14. Offline

w1ngzer0 Guest

Message Count:
    are these true HID's? or what?
  15. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    I will say one more time

THESE ARE NOT:
    BULBS OF ANY KIND
    HID CONVERTION KITS
    HID "LIKE" BULBS

THIS IS:
    A WHOLE BUNCH OF WIRES
    A FEW CONNECTORS
    AND A 30A RELAY THAT COMES WITH EVERY FOG LIGHT KIT

All it does is make your existing bulbs work better by supplying more power to them. Thats all! All your lights will still turn on the same way, the DRL will still be on!

this is what it will look like
    [IMG]
  16. Offline

Jae Guest

Message Count:
    I just took the picture and labelled everything that comes with the 9006/9005 Kit.

[IMG]
  17. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    jae,

Which one of the harnesses connect to the 9006 wire on the car?

the one with the red and black wire to it or the one with the white and black wire to it?
  18. Offline

minja714 Guest

Message Count:
    alright thanks... really do hope you find a way, it would really really help a lot. I am going to buy your harness anyways until you do find the solution. thanks a lot for your help and from stinky too.

if they didnt know what they did... sounds pretty unprofessial of them. they should have known what they did.
  19. Offline

Jae Guest

Message Count:
    I believe its the red/black one.
  20. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    If you are sure that its the red black one then all you need to do is this:

1) Cut the red wire from the harness, leave enough wire coming from the harness to splice it back together if you need to.

2) Pull the signal light connector off the bulb by where the battery is

3) double check that this is the right wire, I beleive its the green with white stripe one. (ill let you know for sure in 1 hour)

4) Get those blue tap splice connectors.

5) crimp it around your green with white stripe wire on your marker light harness. And stick the red wire that you cut off the harness into it as well.

6) Crimp that down

7) test your lights.

If you did it right they should NOT come on when you start the car and take off the ebrake. Then when you turn your lights on one click your headlights and markr lights should come on. Turn it one more click and your fogs will come on and you will be able to use your high beams.

As I said before I will grab a pic of the wire you need to splice into as well as confirm the color.
  21. Offline

minja714 Guest

Message Count:
    HEY JAE:
    *Before when the shop disabled your DRLs, they also worked the same way right as Stinky's right, one click? just curious
  22. Offline

Jae Guest

Message Count:
    Yes they unplugged something and it did it..
  23. Offline

minja714 Guest

Message Count:
    no no I mean was your DRLs the same setting as stinky's? Meaning 1 click on? or how was the setting?
  24. Offline

Jae Guest

Message Count:
    It went like this:

You know the toggle switch for the headlights.

Well, when it was oFF, it was off, everything was off.

Then it was at the DOT, only headlights came on.

Then when it was ON then, everything went on
  25. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    they mustv really done something weird if your park lights dont come on with the first click. Thats odd. Is it still like that then?
  26. Offline

Jae Guest

Message Count:
    Ops.

I mean, OFF - nothing

DOT - park lights (like the signal lights)

ON - everything (fog lights optional)
  27. Offline

Jae Guest

Message Count:
    Stinky, what I get from this is:

Cut the red from the harness, and leave it hanging, protected with like a covering. And which side do I use? The red wire coming out of the harness? or the side where it goes into the harness?

Cut the Green wire with White strips, connect all 3 ends: cut end of the green /w white strip wire with the red from the harness with the other end of the green /w white strip wire. Crimp it using something like those plastic twisty thingys (i dont know what are they called, but you put the wires in and you twist and it secures it in this blue plastic material).

And that should work?

Or is it... something else? thx.

P.S and it should continue using the relay, so it runs directly from the battery and everything, correct?

I kinda understand the 'logic' behind this, but I kinda don't... just confirm heh.
  28. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    You lost me in that explanation.

I am going snowboarding today, so when I get back I will take a picture of the wire to tap into and will also have a pic of the blue connector I am talking about. You dont need to cut any wire excet for the red one going into the harness. You will be using the end that does NOT have the connector on it. So it is the one coming up from the yellow plastic part. But just wait anopther day and Ill get some pics up to make it more simple.
  29. Offline

oxymoron Guest

Message Count:
    I can't see the fuse in the picture of the kit. Where is it? Also, does anyone know what gage the wiring is?
  30. Offline

Jae Guest

Message Count:
    There isnt a fuse, I said its optional :)