1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Knock sensor P0330 code

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by jester1920, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Offline

jester1920 New Member

Message Count:
    Knock sensor P0330 code

Vehicle- '99 xtra cab taco with trd supercharged v6, 5 spd, 4x4.

Issue- My truck throws a check engine light, codes P0330(knock sensor), and once the light is up, if I accelerate a little hard even, it cuts back and acts almost as if I have 2-3 cylinders running. Just no power at all.

If I clear the code, it runs normally until it codes again(takes 2-3 drive cycles to code again).

I took my truck to my mechanic, who is one of maybe 2 people I trust with my truck. He cleared the code, and couldn't get it to come back on or have the lack of power issue. I drove it and couldn't get it to act up as well. Then this morning, it codes, and does the same thing.

3 questions-
    Is this normal behavior for these when the knock sensor or wiring goes/is going out?

Will/Could this issue also cause slight pinging under heavy throttle(been an issue for a few months, changed gas, have some octane booster+injector cleaner I'm going to run thru it to see if it's reduced)?

How long will this take the normal driveway mechanic to fix/replace(with plenty of experience, just lack of air and specialty tools)? My mechanic mentioned having to pull the intake manifold off, (which I believe for me means the supercharger as well?) then replacing both sensors since it's so labor intense as well as the pig tails attatched to them.

Thanks for your help! I'm moving and can't afford $800-900 in repairs for my truck atm.... =(
  2. Offline

DeebsTundra Big Tires :)

Message Count:
    Have you been messing with timing tuning the supercharger?
  3. Offline

jester1920 New Member

Message Count:
    Not at all. One thing I was never good at was tuning, and I don't have the computer to tune OBD II anyways. The "tune up" I do on these is sparkplugs and wires.