1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

JspeXAE102 Build Thread (+ a lil bit of history)

Discussion in '7th Gen' started by JspeXAE102, May 29, 2008.

1. Offline

Kaitaiya Member

Message Count:
    it was actually a small turnout, probably 40 cars at the most total between the 3 different cruise spots we went to. the only thing about here is you can drive around the island in 2 hrs. maybe 100 miles total. it's a scenic drive, but not long at all. me i love to drive. when i got to the states, i love driving. drive from la to vegas every time i can.
  2. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    haha, I used to joke about why there are cars in hawaii since all you can do is drive from one side of the island to the other. But I think i'd be just at home there, I never drove more than 100miles from the San Francisco area. Friends usually drive me to LA and I usually take a plane to vegas.
  3. Offline

Kaitaiya Member

Message Count:
    yup most people only put 10-20 miles a day on their cars here. me i used to do 15K a year with my old job. getting the corolla made things enjoyable. even moreso now with the 20v you should move here. :D
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    10-15K a year is usually what I put on the odometer per year.. even less now because I take the subway during the week. I love CA but the laws regarding car modification are too restrictive. The 20V is considered a illegal swap here and I could face big fines if I ever get pulled over and the cops pop my hood. So I'm looking into moving out of state in a couple years.. who know where. Hawaii is up on top of my list but living there seems really expensive since just about everything have to be flown in and I like ordering crap on the internet.:p
  5. Offline

Kaitaiya Member

Message Count:
    well now that i don't drive daily for work i put only around 9K on my car a year. wife's car lucky she put 5 miles a day on it. yes things have to be flown or boated in here, and i still order over the internet :D. a gallon of milk is $8($4 if you get from walmart or sams
    ), gallon of super is $3.50.($3.25 if you go to costco or sams club). we have a extra cost of living here, but it's the price you pay to live in paradise :D
  6. Offline

Message Count:
    I'll pay the price if I can find a job over there..
    Which island are you on exactly?
  7. Offline

Kaitaiya Member

Message Count:
    i live on oahu. the outer islands are more expensive (cost of living wise). also job market is better here on oahu. but then you have to deal with traffic, people, etc. me i'd rather live on the outer islands because it's more laid back, but my job requires me to live here.
  8. Offline

RinconRolla98 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I like this very clean , You know how to take care of your car and you have taste in matching interior and taste in exterior set up :)
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    ^^ thanks

My order finally came in from fastbrakes. Had to wait for the 6 piston clappers to come in stock:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

here's a comparison of the new 6 piston DP6 to the tiny old 4 piston Dynalite.
    [IMG]

This is goina be the last big mod for a while, probably forever.:sad:
  10. Offline

wasabinuts2go BeeP BEEP!

Message Count:
    nice! and i notice we have the same crappy laptop toshiba.
  11. Offline

Message Count:
    yea, the fuckin hinge broke! I'm just goina get a $200-$300 netbook next so its easier to carry around campus. Hopefully it'll come preloaded with windows 7.
  12. Offline

pnyk33 300whp 4afte

Message Count:
    your welcome. :p
  13. Offline

Message Count:
    lol, I thought you said you were going to buy them for me.
  14. Offline

pnyk33 300whp 4afte

Message Count:
    If i had alot of extra $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ i would. :lol
    also he is in the progress of making a set for the rear. i`ll let you know when he does, i`m planning on getting some more from him , a front set of 4-piston calipers for my wife`s Civic & 6-Piston for the S14 and rear for the corolla and S14. :D
  15. Offline

Message Count:
    lol, get rid of the S14 and start sending money this way for me:rule:

Those 6 pistons are expensive compared to the old 4's.. added $300 to the price. Luckly I had a business license so I just started a wholesale account with him. :D

But I'm happy with my rear setup. The AE111 Levin setup has a 10.5" rear disc and I have a new set of replacement disc being shipped to me from Japan as we speak.
  16. Offline

pnyk33 300whp 4afte

Message Count:
    i got mine a few months ago just been lazy to put them on don`t want to bleed the brakes again.:p

And get rid of my S14 HELL NO !!!!! getting ready to do a 2JZGTTE swap in it
    thanks to these people. i`m already on the forum and talking to some of the guys that have done it already . i havent seen any S14 here with that swap going to be the first here in O-TOWN . hoping to have all done by 2011.

http://tech2motorsports.com/index.php
  17. Offline

mcardo99 New Member

Message Count:
    Nice corolla! Have you ran it at the Dyno? Any speculations on how many HP it outputs?

Can you provide us with contact info or websites where you got the FX bumper and the EDM bumper? Or hook us up with the ordering for some profit? This is your chance to start a JDM import business =P

Can you also tell us a little about any difficulties you faced fitting the rear brake discs?
    I read about the transmission mount, minor fix by drilling the extra hole.
    Did the entire brake system from donor bolt right on to your corolla?

Aren't those 6-cyl. calipers overkill? You're surely to go from 60-0 in about 3 secs.

I have a 96 corolla dx 7a-fe stock, 5 speed, sunroof, electric windows/mirrors, no cruise.
    JDM lights and grille and a lousy ebay air intake. I have my eye on a year 2000 japanese sprinter carib BT engine with 6 speed MT with ecu and cables (guess I have to ask for the axles too). Planning to do the suspension, new paint job, sway bars and that's probably it. I'm embarrassed to show my corolla in here after seeing this one. =P
  18. Offline

Kaitaiya Member

Message Count:
    wow. love them brakes. where did you get them from?
  19. Offline

Message Count:
    No I havent dyno'ed it. I don't really expect it to put out very impressive power seeing as the engine is stock with minor boltons.

I already am a JDM importer, my business get a container full of parts every month. I just never bothered corolla parts because people just window shop here. Expect every bumper to cost ~500 shipped. The EDM rear bumper was actually brought from europe using a couple of connections and I probably wont be able to get another one nomatter how hard I tried. I get most of my parts from Yahoo Japan auctions.

rear disc parts from AE101/111 Corolla/Sprinter/Levins/Truenos are direct bolton. Just need to get the entire assembly including ebrake cables and you're good.

I don't believe the 6 piston calipers are overkill. Wilwood calipers are generally smaller than most manufacturers out there; Brembo/Stoptech/AP Racing/Alcon etc. A 4 piston caliper from any of those companies would have much larger pistons = more piston area compared to this caliper. In fact this caliper only has a slightly larger piston area than the 4 pot in the pic. I think this caliper is best compared to the Endless Mini6 which is used on the AE86, Miata and other cars that uses smaller wheels. The reason for the 6 pistons is more to maximize pad contact to the rotor over a larger space to reduce heat and promote more even pad wear.

Wish I had sunroof.

fastbrakes.com its not listed anymore because they just built a new website but they still offer it if you call them up by phone.

Did a test-fit tonight to make sure they cleared the 15's

Used my mom's point and shoot this time, forgot resolution was set to 640X480 *facepalm*

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Fills the space out nicely.. now all I need to do is send the calipers out for powdercoat, wait for the new rear discs to get here, wait for steel braided lines for the rears, and order a new proportioning valve.

And I just realized thats the left side rotor *facepalm #2*
  20. Offline

pnyk33 300whp 4afte

Message Count:
  21. Offline

mcardo99 New Member

Message Count:
    Very nice looking brake discs. You're right on the surface area contact, I misspoke.

You should be at around 170HP. Am I right?

Sunroof's are over-rated. I probably open mine only a few times a year. Hate the dust in cloth interior...

I got my '96 corolla right out of high school in the year 2000 for $3500 - clear coat was peeling, clutch needed to be changed, I wasn't a big fan of corollas back then. I wanted to get a 92 Accord EX but they were too old for the price. After seeing this corolla I had to buy it - Original pearl black color and equipped with all these factory goodies - Sunroof, Gauges with tachometer, graphite interior, no previous records of accidents, etc. My dad and I keep it tidy by replacing anything that breaks ourselves, very inexpensive with American parts. This took me to work and back, college in Florida and back, never gave me problems.

After 9 years and about 250,000+ miles on it the only thing wrong with it is that 5th gear is jumping to neutral, just a detent spring in the gearbox that I could just take care of.

Now I own a 2006 brown graphite Avalon touring edition, very nice car, a Japanese Cadillac if you ask me. I wanted to sell the corolla for $1000 but a few months ago I got it in my head that I want this to be my lifetime project car. It was my very first car, I was so excited when the previous owner dropped it off in my driveway :D ... Now it just got it excluded from the insurance and it's going to be parked in my parents house until I go back to Miami for good so I can work on it. But believe me that when I go down there I'm going to drop all the goodies on it at once, money is not a problem, is the availability of parts and contacts I lack. That's why I'm doing all the research now and documenting everything.

vintage mustangs and camaros can suck it!

Your car is an inspiration for 93-97 corolla owners. You could probably get a moonroof done for $1200 or so. Or transplant a matrix roof which comes with my same exact sunroof. I should probably look into a wrecked matrix and take what I can from it, my rubbers are getting calcined.

On another note ToyoDIY.com doesn't show the 4A-GE 20V in any of the japan sprinter/corolla/levin cars...

Question

About the cables that need to be cut when you do an engine swap (the ones that go to the dashboard, gauge cluster and what not)
    Did the colors of the cut 4A-GE engine match the 7A-FE cables you had to cut?
    Do you have pictures of the ties so I can see what cable color from the 4A-GE goes with which from the dashboard cables?
  22. Offline

Message Count:
    no worries bro, its a common thing when people hear 6pot calipers, they think they're huge! But in fact the body and the piston area are actually smaller than OEM Brembos on a lot of cars. That's why they easily fit under my 15's.

The engine is rated at 170hp, with drivetrain loss I should be looking at 145 at the wheels and bolt-on modifications would probably bring it back up to 160ish speaking conservatively.

I wish my car started out black with grey interior.. would've saved me a lot of time and effort. But I don't really want a sun/moon roof on this car that much.

As for wiring, I chose not to attempt it myself. Although I have take classes in engineering circuit analysis, I thought subcontracting the job to someone with a lot more experience would be best as it would lessen my headaches. Diagnosing wiring problems are a PITA. So I'm sorry, I cannot answer your questions about this.

Thanks for your compliments and for sharing your story. Best of luck with your project.
  23. Offline

Kaitaiya Member

Message Count:
    toyodiy.com does show the 4a-ge 20v. i looked up parts for my car from there. i believe you need the BZ option selected. and then it will show up. as for wiring, i got mine done by DR tweak from phoenix tuning, but there are other places that are cheaper and just as reliable. from what i hear is that you can use the stock AE102 harness and it's just a few modifications. MR20V can do it for $330 i believe. check out club4ag.com
  24. Offline

mcardo99 New Member

Message Count:
    Check these pics out, in the spec filtering section, it does not show me the 20v. I must be doing something wrong... or maybe you're seeing it somewhere else and this spec filter just isn't accurate. Perhaps these cars I looked up don't come with the 20v? As I understand from wikipedia the blacktop only came out between 95-98 in sprinters/levins/corollas? <--- is this accurate? But then wikipedia also says the blacktops came as late as the year 2000. confoosed! :confused:

Based on toyoDIY.com I think the blacktop might have came out as late as 2002 but then the filter keeps saying 16v and not 20v and even so wouldn't know if its a small port silver or big port black.

Attached Files:

25. Offline

DOT. Noypi ako!

Message Count:
    It just doesn't show "20V" nor does it show if it's a Blacktop or Silvertop.

All 4AG from AE101's are Silvertop (Exept BZ-Touring)
    All 4AG from AE111's are Blacktop

HTH.
  26. Offline

mcardo99 New Member

Message Count:
    So the 11:1 compression blacktop engine was made from year 1995 and later
    9.5:1 blacktops were made before 1995

It's all in here ---> http://autoauction.ru/catalogue.phtml?lang=en&car=adb9f59f1407059c609b09444414f6a0&mode=new

I guess the best bundle 4A-GE would have to come from a 1998 LEVIN BZR, it comes with the Limited Slip Differential.

On another note: If someone takes a picture of the color coded cables from an original 7A-FE corolla tied with the 4A-GE we wouldn't have to take it anywhere for the cabling :D
  27. Offline

Message Count:
    stock...
    blacktops are always 11:1 CR.
    silvertops are always 10.5:1
    7AFE and 4AFE are 9.5:1 ..... no performance motor would have a CR that low unless sc'd/turboed.. and even then it'll be lower like 9:1
  28. Offline

mcardo99 New Member

Message Count:
    Oh man these engine recovers suck at keeping track of where they got the engines from. I found the front bumper with and without the foglights aperture. Gotta see if they ship to US and how much. Also found a company that makes the flush rear bumper but the picture is a sloppy render. Not sure If I wanna go with the flush bumper...

I contacted the polyurathane guys, gave them the engine code as they requested, still nothing from them... I told them Carl would know.. lol! hopefully he remembers.
  29. Offline

rayray1 Active Member

Message Count:
    Holy BBK Batman! You finally got them.... never knew Fast Brakes had a 6-pot application for our cars!

They look simply balling!
  30. Offline

Message Count:
    yea wilwood debut this caliper at SEMA last year. it has the same bolt-on pattern as the 4 pot dynalite so its a direct upgrade. :)