1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Interior Lights DIY Here ya go guys and girls

Discussion in 'Interior' started by moonshadow, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Offline

intel61 Guest

Message Count:
    man i am having the most trouble with this, my glass paint keeps melting off. what do i do? i am using delta brand. i tried to look for the opaque paint, i have the transparent. i think thats why it keeps melting off. the paint melts off even if its been on there for overnight or half the day. any ideas guys?
  2. Offline

moonshadow ||\\|||D)||\\||

Message Count:
    get the one i told you about over AIM, make sure its thick paint and is the frosted look kind. you probably have the glass tinting paint.
  3. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    Well all the paint did to the LEDS was make them darker. they dont light blue. Now I have a new idea, but I am going to try it first to see if I can make it work.

Yes there really is that many leds in there, and yes they are soldered on. They look like the low profile reisters that are flat. cept they are greenish color and are leds. It would be pretty costly to change them all out.

My idea is to just find a 12v power suply and put 3 or 4 leds in there and hope that they are bright enough to light some things up. But the blue leds cost me almost $5 each from where I get them. I can get red for 5 for a bag of 10. So I may need to make the deck red. Unless any of you want to help fund my project or donate some blue leds.
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    LOL, what does it look like now after you painted red over it. i know there has to be a way to make the light come out white by using the color scale physics. just gotta figure out a cheap way or change the deck out but i dont wanna do that.....
  5. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    it was actually blue that I painted over it.

I am thinking mabey of getting just some super white leds and putting those in. then the radio will "hopefu;;y" look the same as the dash.
  6. Offline

stylin Guest

Message Count:
    Good luck stinky with whatever u try.

I don't know what it looks like inside the deck, but i was thinking of pretty much what u said a few posts ago, putting in a few super bright LED's should be able to do the job. But again u'll have to remove the green LED's first.

I was thinking of tinkering around with it too, but got a new job and am very busy now.

Post some pics if you get a chance, i would love to see how it's comin out.
  7. Offline

intel61 Guest

Message Count:
    well i was walkin around in walmart, and i saw these covers for light bulbs. the type that are already on teh bulbs, which slip on and off. only problem was that these were slightly bigger. they had red, green, blue, and some other color. i was thinkin we can use these and just find a way to attach them, and it would be easier than trying to paint it. if anyone can find the covers for the orignal bulbs, post the site or place where you got em
  8. Offline

Message Count:
    damn, nice graphix kit stylin. and Sarit, the one that you saw were for the 194 sized bulb, i checked hi and low for those.
  9. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    I dont have a problem with needing to take the green bulbs out now, since the blue paint I got all over them makes them barely show up at night. I think the super white leds will drowned out the remaining color.
  10. Offline

stylin Guest

Message Count:
    Hey stinky, instead of getting the super white, you can try the super bright blue LED's (like the ones the sell on ebay). I hope you know what i'm talking about.

And the graphix kit, like everything else, is photoshopped.

We should get a Photoshop section in this forum, I bet we can all learn a lot from it.
  11. Offline

Message Count:
    hey stylin, u just got a few things to fix on ur photoshop. 1 the rotation on the rear wheel is a dead giveaway along with the marks on the front rim for where u cut out the wheel. oh yeah we should get a photosho section. actually i am working on a friends Regatta. he wants to see how some chromes and a spoiler will look. he wants to see a kit as well but that will be quite a experiment
  12. Offline

stylin Guest

Message Count:
    Thanx for catching my mistakes, i'm still in the learning process (that never ends). I'm self taught when it comes to photoshop, so i'm always trying new things and different ways to do them.

And maybe along with the photoshop section, we can have a tutorial section too. I love photoshopping cars (can't afford the real thing) and i think some of you guys do to.

It's a nice skill to have to see what your car will look like b4 you spend the cash to do the mod. Just incase.

I hope Methane is reading this. :wink:
  13. Offline

Message Count:
    LOL, i'm in the same boat as u. have got a lot better but probably exactly where you are :lol: :lol: :lol:
  14. Offline

lostboy New Member

Message Count:
    Hey..i kinda scanned all the post and was wondering... is the light white or yellow after you remove the sleeve?

I want to make the light the same as the gauges or light blue... if the bulbs are yellow and i get blue glass paint... will it show up blue?

Is the red light showing pretty bright for you stylin?

Oh..and how hard is it to remove the green sleeve? can i do it with tweezers from the center dial? without removing the deck?

Thanx

-Lostboy
  15. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    you dont need to remove the deck, and the light is white.

You will need to paint them light blue to have them look white, otherwise they will just look pink at night. the sleeve is easy to take off. if you have tweezers it is easier. I just used my finger nails.
  16. Offline

stylin Guest

Message Count:
    the red color shows up pretty bright, if somebdoy didn't know i painted it, they'd think it was factory, it matches the hazard light color perfectly. (I lucked out there)
  17. Offline

intel61 Guest

Message Count:
    so i finally bought the smallest latex covers that walmart sold for car bulbs, and it turned out that they fit right on, they didnt slip on to the bulb, but they sat perfectly in the circle, as in the cover went in around the bulb where theres a small gap. it gave a strong blue, so i gotta take the old paint off the bulb to give a little lighter blue. but it works great, and costs the same amount as the paint. i dont have the bulb number that these covers fit on, but they're in the same section as the headlamp bulbs are at walmart. i'll get some pics when i get my camera back and post em
  18. Offline

darrenwang Guest

Message Count:
    Please take some picture of the package and reciept as well, so we could know what to buy. Thanks
  19. Offline

KingKuei Guest

Message Count:
    The Green Squares

Does anyone know how to take the buttons off of the AC / Defroster / Fan? I've already painted the bulbs for the lettering red, but when I actually push the buttons to turn on the AC or Fan, etc. the little square indicator above the lettering is still a bright green. If someone knows how to get those buttons off so I can paint the bulbs for that, I would really appreciate it.

And how's the deck lighting coming along?
  20. Offline

Message Count:
    feast on this, the deck lights are LED's not bulbs so to get them to not be green, you will need to solder on new led in place of the existing ones
  21. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    I thought we already knew that!?

Did you pull yours apart too?? Theres a lot in there huh!!?
  22. Offline

Message Count:
    lol, yeah i did know what u posted up but i pulled mine apart too. i was hoping that toyota made the US version a little different but i guess not. and damn there is a lot of those buggers in there. they are not the normal bulb like ones either, they are the flat ones. :cry:
  23. Offline

intel61 Guest

Message Count:
    alright dont got a picture of the box, but i sorta have a picture of the interior lights. i gotta tune my digital camera to take decent pics in the dark. heres what i got so far, you can sorta see the blue

[IMG]
  24. Offline

nomes Guest

Message Count:
    guys.... I have posted this several times...see the other thread....

the best way is to use Coloured Filter Paper!

Open it up..place the filter paper between the button and the led and taa daa!

Mine is all red :D
  25. Offline

Message Count:
    hey, where do i get this filter paper, i wanna do it if it can be changed with filter paper
  26. Offline

nomes Guest

Message Count:
    any craft store should have it.
  27. Offline

Message Count:
    check ur PM
  28. Offline

stylin Guest

Message Count:
    Hey nomes, do you have any pics posted of your deck red?

i'm in T.O also, where do you get the filter from?
  29. Offline

nomes Guest

Message Count:
    nope..dont have any interior pics.

as for the filter... I bought an entire roll from Michaels....cost around $5 cdn. Its way too much for such a small project...i suggest you look aroud (book store, walmart, zellers..etc etc) and get a small piece.
  30. Offline

lostboy New Member

Message Count:
    OK i went to michaels and got some Gallery Glass brand window color paint that is blue...it says "create stained glass look"

is this glass paint? will it crack or fade ? is it heat resistant? does it have to say stained glass paint on it? i dont' know if create stained glass look is really the stained glass paint.. hmmm...

thanks for the input ... whoever knows what kind of paint this is